Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2007, 03:33 AM   #1

spark arrestors/baffles

Not sure if this has been asked before, but couldn't find any posts:

Do any of the Roketa or Lifan enduro/dual sport motorcycles come with US Forest Service Approved Spark Arrestors? I live in Washington State and I have heard they check.

Want to buy one of these bikes, but want to be legal also.

Old 06-14-2007, 10:04 AM   #2

I don't think so, but is has been discussed in the dual sport forum. Some aftermarket ones can be fitted.

Allen

Old 06-14-2007, 10:09 AM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to TheOtherRide
Welcome to the site, Sunny Jim! Where are you in WA? I used to live in Bellingham and Coupeville. Beautiful!

Try this link:
http://www.chinariders.net/modules.p...ewtopic&t=1789

Old 06-14-2007, 12:49 PM   #4

Thanks for the quick replies and the links. Will look into this further. I live just outside of Spokane, WA.

Old 06-16-2007, 11:31 PM   #5

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Power...QQcmdZViewItem

This could work, but I don't know you would get around the USFS stamp of approval.

Allen

Old 06-18-2007, 07:52 AM   #6

Most Aftermarket Exhaust systems are not marked USFS Spark Arrestor Approved, but then some are in a New Way. They will have a Little Pine Tree on them instead of saying USFS Spark Arrestor Approved. A lot of new pipes don't have anything on the outside but they do have The New "Screen" Spark Arrestor in the end of the pipe. Some of the off brand bikes Do have a spark arrestor in the muffler but you can't see it because it is made like the old Style Spark Arrestor that was what I call a "twist cone spark arrestor".
All States are different on how they check for the spark arrestor...some look for the stamping, some look for the screen in the end of the pipe, some do both.
One example that I can give you is All UM dirt bikes have the spark arrestor screen but the pipes are not stamped... so they do have a spark arrestor in them but they are not stamped.
The picture is the auction is the New Spark Arrestor Screen.
Hours: Tue.-Fri. 10:00-6:00 Sat. 10:00-4:00 EST.
Dealer for: Lifan, Crossrunner ATVs.
http://www.endlessjourneycycles.net

Old 06-18-2007, 08:16 AM   #7

Probably the cheapest way to get a can with that stamp is to buy one of the Supertrapp mufflers. They are made in bike-specific and universal mounts. These are tunable mufflers, so you can add or remove plates to get the best performance. Seems like IDS also makes a cheap universal SA muffler.

Many aftermarket mufflers are not SA's, but state it so you know what you're getting. The same manufacturers often put out a similar can WITH an SA. Most are bike specific, but some do make universals as well.

My suggestion; study your muffler mounts closely and get the pipe diameter, then get a Dennis Kirk catalog. Think one fits in your price range and will fit? Most often, the pictures are of the most popular model they sell, go to the makers website and see if you can get a pic of the exact one you are considering.

The chinabikes may very well have an SA in them, but not having the stamp while riding public lands is asking for trouble.

Old 06-18-2007, 08:24 AM   #8

I am not looking for more power, but actually a quieter pipe would be nice. I may got the route red did and use a takeoff from another bike. It would be stamped and have the SA in it too. Plus be better bike and hopefully a little quieter.

Allen

Old 06-18-2007, 06:06 PM   #9

I've been looking around and I did notice that UM and Qlink both advertise their bikes with approved spark arrestors. Don't know if either one is stamped or marked someway though. Too bad if they aren't.

I got on the UM site and they list parts, which show their muffler is a clamp on style, so is not all one piece. Don't know how much or if would easily fit on other bikes. Need to try and find these in person so can actually see what is what.

Old 06-18-2007, 06:59 PM   #10

I think to be safe all-round I will go with a take-off from a jap bike that is stamped.

Allen

Old 06-18-2007, 07:18 PM   #11

My KTM 950 has USFS aproved mufflers and I've had 2 sets of aftermarket mufflers that were also USFS approved. You can buy USFS approved end caps that fit on some mufflers. Dennis Kirk sells them. I've never seen anything for the china bikes. Something from another bike may fit. I'd like to find a stainless steel pipe and an aluminum muffler that would fit my Viva. With a pipe bender you could make just about anything fit. Thankfully, I have one! That's a mod for next winter. I'm going to start looking at the Honda XL/XR systems. That seems to be the best place to start looking.

A United Motors dealer may be able to get a pipe and muffler from DSF-200 that may fit. Bruce?
2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E
1979 Yamaha XS650 Special II

Old 06-18-2007, 07:40 PM   #12

Sam, I am also researching options and may buy a few off ebay from different bikes to see how they fit. I will wait on the ones that don't get any bids.

I haven't found any xr200 mufflers, but alot of crf450 and yamaha 250-450 take-offs. Got to be lighter than the china bike muffler and they come with a USFS spark arrester.

Now it has got me thinking that a muffler from a larger bike flows more than a smaller bike. There is alot of 450 sized mufflers on the bay.

Red has the yz250f muffler on his, but I haven't gotten the full report yet on power/db level.

The 250cc muffler is probably appropriately sized for flow.

Allen

Old 06-18-2007, 09:57 PM   #13

These engines need some back pressure, I would think. The 450 muffler probably wouldn't be the best choice. I've also been looking at mufflers and accessories from BBR. They make a lot of stuff for the 50cc playbikes an the bigger TT-Rs. Something from them may work. The Honda CRF150R has become wildly popular as a bigger playbike. The engine can actually be builtup to 225cc/ I don't really get the logic of this. If you want a bike that big just buy a 250 and be done with it. The smaller frame and the bigger engine may be the key to this combo though, for smaller people. It's expensive! I fit just fine on a 250. This year I went backwards when I went from a WR250F to a TT-R250T. The TT-R has a 6-speed and an air-cooled engine which I like much better.

Anywho, all of these Japanese bikes should be considered potential parts sources for the china bikes. I'm going to get a Trail Tech computer kit from a Honda CRF230 for use on my Viva. I did find a SuperTrapp muffler that could work. It's a little expensive though and it's made from steel. Just over $100. I'd really like to go lighter.
2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E
1979 Yamaha XS650 Special II

Old 06-18-2007, 10:07 PM   #14

That is my concern with the 450 muffler. Not enough backpressure and losing all the low end power. I tend to lug the engine more than rev it. I found a stock crf150 muffler and a 230 muffler. These may be candidates for the conversion. I think the size is more appropriate.

I rank my reasons for switching as #1 Spark Arrester, #2 Got to be Quiet, #3 power gain.

1 and 2 have to be met. 3 is optional.

Allen

Old 06-20-2007, 04:43 PM   #15

Send a message via AIM to shammash55 Send a message via Yahoo to shammash55
i just custom fited a old kirker muffler on my bike today. its sounds better and runs better too. less throttle to go up my hills than before.vroom vroom.