Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2011, 01:17 PM   #1

Chain issues

My tao tao 250cc i have replaced the chain and im not sure how tight it should be cause when i go to do a doughnut it pops off some one else told me that i might have my adjustments off a little is there anyway to make sure i get the axle straight and how tight should the chain be.....

Old 12-28-2011, 05:21 PM   #2

Well First...most chains will wear with the sprockets...so the sprockets need to be changed with the chain...because they will wear together and fit together...Secondly...there should be 2 adjusters on the rear carrier/axle..just loosen the carrier then adjust both adjusters the same.then tighten the axle carrier...should keep the axle straight. Third..this may be tough but the chain should have about a half inch play ..at full compression of the rear suspension. Hope this helps....

Old 12-28-2011, 05:54 PM   #3

If it's only popping off when your side loading it (doing donuts) I would also have a look at your swingarm bushings. The chinese atvs are notorious for having cheap bushings that crap out prematurely, this causes the swingarm to move to the side a bit causing the chain to go out of alignment and jump off. My Beast does this :(

Old 12-28-2011, 08:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICRider
If it's only popping off when your side loading it (doing donuts) I would also have a look at your swingarm bushings. The chinese atvs are notorious for having cheap bushings that crap out prematurely, this causes the swingarm to move to the side a bit causing the chain to go out of alignment and jump off. My Beast does this :(
+1.

This is a typical symptom of a common problem we've seen around here.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:31 PM   #5

where can i get some good bushings and how do i check the old ones??

Old 12-28-2011, 09:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbaz
Well First...most chains will wear with the sprockets...so the sprockets need to be changed with the chain...because they will wear together and fit together...Secondly...there should be 2 adjusters on the rear carrier/axle..just loosen the carrier then adjust both adjusters the same.then tighten the axle carrier...should keep the axle straight. Third..this may be tough but the chain should have about a half inch play ..at full compression of the rear suspension. Hope this helps....
Sprockets are in great shape.The stock chains that come with these quads is one of the first thing to go out

Old 12-29-2011, 10:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bi0phreak420
where can i get some good bushings and how do i check the old ones??
You shouldn't really have any side to side movement in the bushings, if you do they're probably shot. I haven't replaced mine yet but I think Weld&grind has on his, I can't find the thread though. Not the same ATV's but they might be similar? Any movement from side to side will throw the chain alignment out and make it jump off the sprocket, usually the back one.

Edit: I have no clue if the Tao Tao 250 utilizes the same size/style of swingarm but on the GIO 200cc Beast the replacement bushing is a Yamaha part, part # 307-22123-0