Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2007, 09:34 PM   #1

what are

what are some good turn signals for my lifan gy-5??

Old 06-02-2007, 09:51 PM   #2

Left turn

Right turn

:P

Old 06-02-2007, 09:54 PM   #3

Saves battery drain. Those are the ones I use.

Allen

Old 06-02-2007, 10:41 PM   #4

I thought these were a cool idea..the ones on the radiator

I forgot to add the link....Sorry

http://www.webbikeworld.com/lights/m.../led-light.htm

Old 06-02-2007, 11:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
Saves battery drain. Those are the ones I use.

Allen
Me too, on my SV650S. Front signals kept breaking. Crappy rubber the stalks are made out of ages and gets brittle. I just yanked 'em off and do it old school. Texas law does not require turn signals, but if they're on the bike, they must work.

Old 06-02-2007, 11:16 PM   #6

mine work, but I got use to hand signals. People pay more attention when the think you are pointing to something.

They made me learn them to pass my m/c test in MN. It was in the handbook and on the written test. My yamaha was missing the rear signals so it became nessessary then.

Allen

Old 06-03-2007, 12:24 AM   #7

Stop is like right turn only down...

But dont you like having your hands to operate the controls when doing/preparing to do these actions?

Old 06-03-2007, 07:20 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim

But dont you like having your hands to operate the controls when doing/preparing to do these actions?
The stop light still works on the SV. :wink: It has to, by law, can't get an inspection without it. The law states that you don't have to carry the signal past the point that you need to use your hands to make the corner. Any problem that causes is more than made up for by the fact that I usually forget to cancel the friggin' thing and I ride down the road for 20 miles with the stupid light flashing and don't notice it. :roll: Now, I can downshift the SV clutchless, but I usually quit signaling when I need to start downshifting. I upshift that thing clutchless by habit. It makes for quicker upshifts and I'm used to doing it on the track, especially with two strokes. But, downshifting clutchless is a little jerky and hard on the chain, tire, etc.

Personally, I think a car is going to notice the hand signal before they do a turn signal. The exception might be at night and especially foggy weather. But, I don't ride all THAT much at night. My GoldWing has rather noticeable turn signals and they self cancel, which is nice. The Diamo has signals, but I usually use the hand, too, in addition to the signals. With the pain I had keeping turn signals on that SV, I just gave up and reverted to hand signals.

Old 06-03-2007, 08:22 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim

My thoughts exactly. Blinkers are cheap and take virtually NO power from the charging system. If blinkers are draining down your battery, you got MAJOR electrical system issues. Furthermore, the average motorist may or may not know those signals and what they mean. Every one knows what a flashing light means.

Current Chinabikes: 2023 Titan DLX & 2022 Lifan KP Mini w/ 210cc BRT kit, 22 RWHP!

Old 06-03-2007, 12:15 PM   #10

Yeah I agree with those points there Red.

I also don't think that a hand signal is more visible then a signal light. Granted it can vary depending on situation, but if it is just too bright out (shh don't complain), they may not see your arm, or may think you're waving at someone even. Could also be the case if it we're dark or raining. The other thing is the signal light keeps warning them, until you turn it off... But either way works.. I think around here you're supposed to have signal lights, but I haven't actually read the MVA(motor vehicle act) to be sure. Then again you have to know the hand signals for any roadtest, but thats not to say that joe everyday driver hasn't forgotten them.

Old 06-03-2007, 01:04 PM   #11

I always use both.
Turn signal on; hand signal, then hand back to bars to turn then turn signal off

Old 06-03-2007, 01:27 PM   #12

Quoted from the Motor Vehicle act.

"Signals on turning
170 (1) If traffic may be affected by turning a vehicle, a person must not turn it without giving the appropriate signal under sections 171 and 172.

(2) If a signal of intention to turn right or left is required, a driver must give it continuously for sufficient distance before making the turn to warn traffic.

(3) If there is an opportunity to give a signal, a driver must not stop or suddenly decrease the speed of a vehicle without first giving the appropriate signal under sections 171 and 172.

Means of signalling
171 (1) Subject to subsection (2), if a signal is required a driver must give it by means of

(a) his or her hand and arm,

(b) a signal lamp of a type approved by the director, or

(c) a mechanical device of a type approved by the director.

(2) When a vehicle is constructed or loaded in a manner that makes a signal by hand and arm not visible both to its front and rear, or a body or load extends more than 60 cm to the left of the centre of the steering wheel, a driver must give signals as provided by paragraph (1) (a) or (b), and a person must not drive the motor vehicle on a highway unless it is so equipped. "

Old 06-03-2007, 01:57 PM   #13

Don't assume the other motorist knows doodly squat. Assume them all to be out to run you over, then take appropriate action. I like to hit the brake 3 or four times to flash the brake light, too, when slowing down, my way of sayin', "Hey you idiot broad, put down the cell phone and pay friggin' attention."

Old 06-03-2007, 02:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzrider
Don't assume the other motorist knows doodly squat. Assume them all to be out to run you over, then take appropriate action. I like to hit the brake 3 or four times to flash the brake light, too, when slowing down, my way of sayin', "Hey you idiot broad, put down the cell phone and pay friggin' attention."
Yeah, I do that too

Old 06-03-2007, 03:12 PM   #15

Most of the time people don't even see the bike..They only look for cars or trucks and half of the time they don't even see those. You have to do everything in Your power to make sure they notice You on a bike.