Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2011, 12:51 PM   #61

Thanks for the update, Jeremy. I'm glad you guys had a fun ride in the rain! If you ride much in mud, you will enjoy having tires with large, aggressive knobs on them. I mounted a Kenda, K760, TrakMaster rear tire, and a Dunlop, MX51 front tire on my Zong. These tires perform very well in mud.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 11-10-2011, 06:18 AM   #62

just the pics don t show, photobucket complains. maybe put them on a blog if u don t have a server? maybe there are better options which i don t know.

Old 11-10-2011, 01:23 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by zingshoen
just the pics don t show, photobucket complains. maybe put them on a blog if u don t have a server? maybe there are better options which i don t know.
The photos were available just a few days ago, Zingshoen. I guess Jeremy just recently exceeded his bandwidth limit at PhotoBucket.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 11-22-2011, 11:32 PM   #64

thanks spud, bandwidth issue.... but now is ok.

new info on engine parts - clutch lining is the same as Suzuki Raider 150. will get to know more when i start replacing....

the bike is at 1800kms now, running smooth.... i opened half of the pipe, big change on sounds yes, but not really tested yet.....

Old 11-22-2011, 11:49 PM   #65

Darn nice looking machine. Very clean!

Old 11-23-2011, 12:43 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
Darn nice looking machine. Very clean!
I agree!

I'm glad you fixed the bandwidth problem with your photographs, Jeremy. Please continue to update us as you discover parts compatibility with other bikes. I hope Zongshen decides also to manufacture a 250cc version of this bike.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 11-23-2011, 02:04 AM   #67

Beautiful machine! Love the carbon fiber fender and the CRF-style seat.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-23-2011, 02:57 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy2011
Photographs can be deceptive, but I believe your drive chain is too tight, Jeremy. :? You should have about 40mm of slack in your drive when the bike is resting on the kickstand. If your drive chain is too tight, you can damage the countershaft bearing inside your engine. :( Replacing this bearing is expensive, since you much remove the engine from the frame, and split the crankcases to do so. 8O

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 11-23-2011, 08:49 AM   #69

yup that looks like a tight chain! it ll tighten even more when the swing arm extends!
there should be sth about the best amount in your owner s manual, and chain slack varies a bit between bikes, but unlike bicycle chains, motorbike chains need a certain amount of slack.

and thanks for the pics.

Old 11-23-2011, 11:46 AM   #70

I noticed the 50cc Garelli in your sig. I just read a fun article on that bike at Real Classic, a British on line motorcycle collector's magazine. I'd recommend looking at it, lots of fun.

Another way to test the chain tension is have someone sit on the bike, or pull it down with a tie down strap. Make sure the chain has slack in it in this configuration. When the countershaft sprocket rear sprocket ans swingarm pivot are all lined up that it the tightest the chain can get.

I sit on the bike and push the chain with my toe to make sure it is not tight.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:35 PM   #71

big thanks to you all... i did check it again this morning, yup tight indeed but not as it looks...
the rubber damper gives an illusion the chain sag actually rests on the rubber:

i had to push it in a little - at least a mm...

Old 11-25-2011, 08:07 PM   #72

I was in the Philippines recently, and saw this bike in the dealer (branded as Motostar). They also had the 200 on the floor for about $240 less than the 150.

The sales guy said the 200 was the latest model. Had 18/21" wheels, and USD fork.

Had a quick look at both bikes, the 200 seems to have the old non-link rear suspension, the footpegs were low-rent compared to the 150, and the riding position was not as off-road friendly, with the footpegs being a bit too far forward (more like a cruiser than a dual sport or standard bike).

The 150 looked like it had a linkage rear suspension.

Out of the locally made / sourced competition, the Honda XR200 is about twice the price (but lighter and I suspect quite a bit more suspension travel).
Yamaha has a basic twin-shock air-cooled 'dual sport' 125, the YBR125G for about the same price: fat 18" tires on both ends.

Bit of a conundrum as to which to go for. I rented the Yammie, and for me it was far better than the sum of its parts. Very light on fuel, and hardly ever bottomed out or pogoed even on some pretty rough roads and trails, even 2 and 3 up.
Not particularly fast, but much better than the so-called dual sport 125 scooters (Honda XRM) with a very wide and tractable powerband, and good gearing.
Most impressive is that the rental bike had 20,000 miles on the clock, and was still in sound mechanical and working condition, despite an obviously hard life.
Does not have the power and suspension of the Zong, but somehow for how we were using it, all worked really well, and the relatively low seat height means that my fiancee can ride it, as she is tall for a Filipina (5'3").

Maybe if the Zong dealers were offering test rides...

One of the negative factors was that I also rented two Chinese scooters on the island before I found the Yammie. A Loncin 125 rip-off of the Honda cub, was starting to come apart with only 3500 miles on the clock. Suspension had almost zero damping left, sundry creaks groans and rattles had the gf really worried on bumpier sections.
The motor had quite a bit of grunt, but cut out on me after a long hill climb at full throttle and took a minute or two to restart: suspected overheating.
Plus of the 3 scooters at the rental shop, only one was in working condition. Ergos and pedals were also not suitable for a 6'+ person.

The second one (Rusi 125 twist and go) was much better, but just did not ever seem to get into the powerband. Very lethargic on take off, and a few not very steep hills on the main road dropped us down to 30 km/h, where the Yammie could fly up at over 60. No chance of getting through if we had tried some of the steeper routes in the interior.

So, I'll keep watching this thread with great interest, as I will be back there next year.

Old 11-26-2011, 12:30 PM   #73

Hi tonnyscott, glad to know you've been here!

Thanks for the reviews, being here in PI you'll be surrounded by those brands indeed...

Motorstar 200 i guess is the MSX series which was first marketed in PI in 2002 (all basics as it was before) which if not mistaken is Lifan... or maybe the TZM, which i also rented one time.... In my limited experience in both brands, i'd say this Zong is far better as it is right now...

honda xrm is the scooter off road bike that works really fine... you'll see them around in all forms from full street converted, to really beaten up types but still running like new... .
RUSI is next chinese brand in your list, but i'm surprised better than loncin... in my list Rusi, falls last.
Loncin for me is next to Zongshen bikes here... Loncin has been here since 2000, built as cruser types, and you still see them around... Rusi is just very recent, mostly underbones (classified the same as the XRM street scoots), and stories i hear and see are not so nice...

But to compare this Zong to XR200 and Yamaha DT125 (2-stroke), most of Pinoys would say that's apple to orange comparison... Chinese bikes can never be as good as those 2 or; on a more generalized term, "Jap bikes"...
Well XR's are heavier actually, and DT should be the lightest... But durability and reliability wise this Zong still has to prove... The XR's and DT's were here way older than my motorcycle riding life and has proven a lot to locals. But this ZOng is just starting out.
What the Zong has right now is the low down cost and the "better than the other Chinese bikes" we have here in PI.

Yup, 'would be nice if you'll be watching this thread closely... I'll be updating this as often as possible... err, have you read about the slippery tires and the popping off the signal light assy after a few hundred km rides? well, so far mostly cosmetic issues (except for the tires) which we all know of anyway... so nothing to panic yet....

Btw, which part of the island you've been? Maybe in the south, 'really seldom to get bike rentals here in PI, except you went on touristic areas... But there are XR rentals up north of manila.....

Let me know when your back, i might be able to give you names who could help you find bikes or bike rentals...

Goodluck!

Old 11-26-2011, 11:41 PM   #74

Hi Jeremy, thanks for the info.

I've been quite a few places in Phils. I rented a car in Manila (I usually spend a few days there on my trips) in 2007, and did the Baguio / Banaue loop. I've also been to NW Mindanao for a week or two, ridden there a little on an underbone, but otherwise on ferry, bus and by air.
Did Ilocos Sur and Norte from Manila and then stopping in Vigan, Paoay, Laoag and Pagudpud recently (by bus and tricycle).

Mostly I've been to the Visayas, rented an XR200 on Bohol, and rented sundry underbones (XRM of a few different types and vintages, pus Waves) in Dumaguete area, and XRM and Waves, Loncin and Rusi on Siquijor, as well as the Yamaha YBR125G.
I've also been to Cebu / Mactan, but only for a few days.

The Honda XRM 125 is usually what I look for to rent, although if I can find an XR200 or the YBR125G at a reasonable rate I would take those first. When those are not available, it is whatever seems to be in the best condition, preferably a 125.

I am glad you have a better opinion of the Loncins: the one I rented had just over 6K km on the speedo, and felt like it was starting to break in two. And the other two Loncin 125 underbones the renter had on the lot with fewer miles weren't going at all.

I am going off listed weights, and also the side-stand lift test: the XR200 on the site I checked seemed to be relatively light, similarly when I picked up the 155 and 200 Motorstars they seemed relatively heavy.

My impression with the Motostar (and according to the dealer and research on motorcyclephilippines.com) was that it was a Zongshen. Motorstar 155 in Phils is the Zongshen Fly 150 in other countries, at least based on what I found on the web.
Seemed to be pretty well put together as well, some very nice components for the price: some like the footpegs, rack and mirrors were better than my Husky which cost way more (but not the suspension or motor). Supposedly the new 155 has Showa suspension components.

My liking for the Yamaha YBR125 (not DT125) was from a few key areas. Fast enough for the conditions we were riding in, light on gas, pretty good riding position for me (I am 6'2) while not being too big for my significant other (5'3). And it had really held together well for the mileage it had done, even though it had been visibly abused by renters.
I took it over some pretty rocky and muddy tracks, and it did not complain at all, apart from the replacement street front tire sliding a lot in the mud.

I looked at Rusi in the dealer as well (big dealer in Dumaguete), and was less than impressed by the standard of how they had assembled the bikes. Plus a few of the scooters had suspension like a brick: my 190 lb did not move the rear shocks at all

The Rusi twist and go scooter I rented was pretty nice: comfortable, no rattles, in very good condition compared to the other rentals I have had over time. The only real problem was the total lack of power, almost like the transmission was refusing to shift into a higher rpm range. Plus while the suspension was in much better shape than the Loncin I rented, when hitting some slow bumps it felt like the front and rear were a bit mismatched pitching back and forth: although a faster 1-up ride down a rocky dirt road didn't seem to phase it much.

I am hoping to be back in January / February for several months, or longer
Want to do some more travel, maybe the Cordilleras again and spend more time and cover more territory, maybe Palawan, Negros, Iloilo, Leyte and Samar.
I've heard the Camotes are nice as well. Just depends on how much I can squeeze out of my budget.

I'm hoping to rent a house as a base for the year, to cut down on hotel / resort costs.

That is also why I am researching cheaper transport. Originally I was looking at the XR200, as here in the US I currently ride a Husky TE610E and VFR900, the XR is kind of similar to to the Husky which I love to ride (but not maintain).
But the Motostar / Zongshel, as well as the little YBR125 seem to offer better value for money for general riding.

Another option may be the Honda TMX155 or one of its clones: a million habal habal drivers can't be that wrong
dutchpickle.com uses one to tour everywhere in the Philippines, and I was quite impressed by the modded TMX habal habal we used to go into the mountains on Negros. It does have some big drawbacks though, including drum brakes, 4 speed box and kick start only, as well as basic suspension.

One of the key things for me is easy and widespread spares and service, and good long-term reliability. My Husky is probably one of the nicest motorcycles I've ever owned, does so many different things well, but servicing (especially) is its downfall.
Doesn't matter how well a bike goes, if it's in the shop waiting for spares or a mechanic, a $25K bike (or 9K like my Husky) is less useful than an operational Honda C90...

If you ever find the information, I'd be real interested in specs on the Zong 155 or 200, such as service intervals, cost to service, suspension travel, headlight type, electric output and so on.

Old 11-27-2011, 12:12 AM   #75

Welcome to these forums, Tony! We are glad you joined us.

I have ridden my Zongshen 200GY-2 for almost 42,000 miles; it's a great little motorcycle. I think Zongshen manufactures good engines, and I am pleased to see the improvements in Jeremy's 150cc Fly motorcycle. I am especially impressed by the Showa forks, and Showa shock absorber. I wish Zongshen would start building a 250cc version of this motorcycle, and start importing it into the United States.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220