Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2007, 10:22 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to msRandi
bad vibeacions

on the newest motor. the OHC lifan I put in Rachel's Viva. when the motor is under a load there is growl like a bad bearing, I have pulled the rear wheel off and checked the wheel bearings, checked chain and sprockets, wheel hub and pulled the cluch apart. I can't find the source. any better ideas?

Old 05-30-2007, 10:45 PM   #2

Double check the chain and sprockets. Sounds like a stretched chain.

Old 05-31-2007, 07:58 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ob1
Double check the chain and sprockets. Sounds like a stretched chain.
That would be my guess too.

Current Chinabikes: 2023 Titan DLX & 2022 Lifan KP Mini w/ 210cc BRT kit, 22 RWHP!

Old 05-31-2007, 12:33 PM   #4

Quote:
on the newest motor. the OHC lifan I put in Rachel's Viva. when the motor is under a load there is growl like a bad bearing, I have pulled the rear wheel off and checked the wheel bearings, checked chain and sprockets, wheel hub and pulled the cluch apart. I can't find the source. any better ideas?
It sounds like the same thing I encountered. I swapped out the chain/sprockets - no change. Turns out it was the transmission. New engine (replaced under warrany) cured it. Under idle no vibration whatsoever, however, once warmed up under load it was vibration city. It got so bad I blew 1 headlight, 1 tailight, 1 dash light.

"The beatings will continue until moral improves"

Old 06-02-2007, 09:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostbite
Quote:
It sounds like the same thing I encountered. I swapped out the chain/sprockets - no change. Turns out it was the transmission. New engine (replaced under warrany) cured it. Under idle no vibration whatsoever, however, once warmed up under load it was vibration city. It got so bad I blew 1 headlight, 1 tailight, 1 dash light.
Mine vibrates and has a growl when I let off the gas. Vibration have gotton worse. Only at 205km. I have blow the headlight already.

Going to call AL and ask them.

Allen

Old 06-02-2007, 11:36 PM   #6

Frostbite, you were right the transmission is blown. Spoke with longevity and waiting on his reply for the replacement. Only 2 weeks and the transmission gone. Sounds like they are going to honor the warranty but we shall see.

Old 06-03-2007, 08:34 AM   #7

Holy smokes. That's horrible news. Especially if others are having issues. Frosty, did you get to take the tranny apart to diagnos the problem or did it get shipped back?? This seems like a Lifan problem so far. I'd be curious to know what's up in there and a little nervous about losing the tranny at highway speeds. OB1, what do you think. I have no experience with a motorcycle tranny.

Current Chinabikes: 2023 Titan DLX & 2022 Lifan KP Mini w/ 210cc BRT kit, 22 RWHP!

Old 06-03-2007, 09:34 AM   #8

Transmissions are not my forte.

I can say this though, gearing these 200's for max speed will definitely increase the load on the whole engine. Add hilly terrain for more stress. I'm guessing most here {myself included} are no longer svelte, more stress.

I thrash my 163FML2 engine whenever I ride it, but the Honda chassis is much lighter, and my gearing is 15/48, and I have had no problems with the motor at all.

But still, the tranny shouldnt fail so soon after installing the new engine.

My guess is that some excess casting debris may be floating around in some of the engines, galling bearings and causing failures.

Old 06-03-2007, 01:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Holy smokes. That's horrible news. Especially if others are having issues. Frosty, did you get to take the tranny apart to diagnos the problem or did it get shipped back??
I meant to take it apart before returning it but I never found the time.

"The beatings will continue until moral improves"

Old 06-03-2007, 07:23 PM   #10

This is not encouraging, but I haven't looked close enough to determine if mine is transmission related. Thanks, Allen

Old 06-04-2007, 02:19 AM   #11

This is ugly. My GY 200 has added a pretty nasty vibration when it is warmed up. I was wondering if it was falling apart. Think I will drop the oil and see what's floating around in there.

Old 06-04-2007, 01:01 PM   #12

We had notthing floating around in the oil when we changed it, but the transmission was blown.

Old 06-04-2007, 01:56 PM   #13

All the real nasty stuff gets stuck to the permanent magnets in the flywheel on these bikes i find when you drop the oil then pull the stator cover off and that's where you'll find debris

Old 06-04-2007, 05:26 PM   #14

Cast aluminum cases.... aluminum is nonferrous.

Regardless, without anyone actually ripping one down and finding the problem, we are all guessing.

Old 06-05-2007, 12:37 AM   #15

Send a message via AIM to msRandi
I'm trying to keep the motor so I can do a tair down. hopefuly we will find out.