Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2009, 12:02 AM   #16

...now the friggin' turn signals quit working! (O-K, not that I need them...but for a bike a few weeks old, this portends ill things for other electrical components down the road)

Hopefully the frame will hold up under my gentle use; the motor and tranny are the strong points of this bike. The electrical system is a nightmare! (Every time I start liking this bike...something else goes wrong!)

Old 08-23-2011, 01:28 PM   #17

UPDATE!!!!!!

O-K folks, just thought I'd chime in and update this review, now that I've had the Monster for nearly 2 and a 1/2 years.....

Overall, it has been mechanically reliable. I change the erl once a year...and had to tighten the chain, and that's about it. I use it around the farm quite often, but it still has under 200 miles on it. After having to disassemble and clean the carb two separate times when it was new, I have it to where it always starts right up on the first try.

It gets me around my 28 acres and to the neighbors. Rounded up escaped cows with it a time or two....

The balkiness of the tranny was never fully resolved- I'd miss shifts just about every time I'd ride it...but finally, as of just lately, that is starting to cease to be the case....dunno if a little wear on the tranny has smoothed it out...or if I'm just used to it now.

I do miss the overall feel of quality of the Japanese bikes though. When I get this out on the road, it shimmies and shakes over 30MPH.

And while it's been O-K for what I use it for...the little things can be disheartening:
Some of the lighting connectors/sockets have broken for no apparent reason. Turn signals don't work. Speedometer is unreadable when it's 70 degrees outside....stuff like that, which really isn't important considering what I use the vehicle for....but still....it's stuff ya paid for...and stuff ya know ya want to fix....and just kinda contributes to the overall feel of lack of quality.

Would I buy it again? No.
Would I purchase another bike from Vbike? No.
Has it been reliable? Yes.
Has it fallen apart? No.

Overall, I'm somewhat happy with it. Not unhappy. It starts up and gets me where I need to go when I need it to...so I gotta love that- and it hasn't needed any real repairs...doesn't require constant wrenching or a lot of maintenance....so it's not bad....but it still leaves a lot to be desired.

Am I sorry I bought it? No.

I do stick with my previous comments: When it comes to Chinese bikes, they're worth it if they cost $1300 or less. Ones for children are definitely worth it. Once you get over that price point, it pays to just go with the better quality of Japanese- whether used or new.

So, I basically have mixed feelings about this bike....considering it cost $1900, it doesn't seem like a bargain...but I do have to applaud it's reliability....and I'm sure I'll get quite a few more years out of it.

If this were a $1200 bike, I'd say it was a good deal. For $1900...it's over-priced. You can get much more bang for your buck with a used Japanese...or by spending another grand on a new Jap at end or season or something.

And my biggest problem with this bike is that there is no way to mount a trailer hitch (Although I was assured there was!)- If I could tow with it, it'd be a lot more useful and save me from having to use the tractor[not Chinese!]

Overall summation of my feelings: Meh.....

Old 08-23-2011, 04:26 PM   #18

Thanks for the update, KD! I agree; once the price approaches $2,000, one is better off to search the market for good, used, Japanese bikes.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 08-26-2011, 01:36 AM   #19

Oh...one more [pleasant] thing: The Monster still has it's original battery!! Never need to charge it, either. +1 for Taotao!

I'm thinking of purchasing a Taotoa 50cc scooter....will be inty-resting to see how their quality has improved since I bought the ATV.