Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2011, 03:00 PM   #76

2009 KLX351F project

Quote:
Have you made the 351 conversion already? I see your sig...

I agree on the exhaust and intake upgrade improvement. I'm figuring 25 HP.

I plan to run a K&N to get a hair better flow. I love my KLX. This bike stays in the stable. This, the GS750, and the Gold Wing are with me for the duration.
FastDoc,
No, I haven't done the 351cc conversion yet. That's the overall project goal. That work will most likely wait until the snow flies again. The headwork, cams and new carb will all happen then.

Quote:
In what way are the wheels an improvement, Sam? I never considered that the feel would change.
Weldandgrind,
The new wheels lift the bike a little and the bike is less twitchy. It's more neutral now. The 17" wheels made the bike drop into a turn very nicely. Which is good but it's a little more aggressive than I like in such a small package. With the limited power of the 250cc engine, it's not the best combination. A Supermoto type bike is a lot more fun with a lot MORE power. My 2004 KTM 625SMC was a real urban assault vehicle. In the twisties it was a real sportbike killer. To me, a dualsport just feels better. It's very subjective, I know. Make any sense? :roll:

Quote:
The wheels, and the entire bike look great, Sam! Please keep us updated regarding your impressions of the TuBliss system, and the TKC80 tires.
Thanks Spud!

It's really a great little bike for the money. I basically have 6K in it so far. Maybe a little more. But I'll get a good bit of use out of this thing. I'm getting some mixed information about the final drive. It's listed in the service manual as a 525 chain but apparently it's a 520. I bought a Moose Racing 520FB chain but I broke the masterlink the other day. Ripped the chain right off the bike. I was fortunate not to get hurt. Just got the replacement links to put it back together. I'm off to do that now. The only casualty was the plastic chainguard. It's history. Shredded it into about 6 pieces. A new chainguard, KLX250S footpegs and a few other little things are on my list to order tonight. She'll be good as new!

The TKC tires seem great on the highway. My riding has been limited due to my stupidity of installing the masterlink backwards! :roll: Just wasn't paying attention as I know better and have done it many times. The Tubliss system hasn't lost much air yet. I'll need to fire up the air compressor and top it off. Hopefully, the weather will cooperate and I'll get to put some miles on it this weekend riding to work.

SamM
2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E
1979 Yamaha XS650 Special II

Old 05-12-2011, 08:43 PM   #77

I bought some wide pegs for my KLX250s on ebay. I wasn't sure how I'd like them, but since they were cheap, I went for it, and love them.
I can try to find them if you want.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:08 PM   #78

2009 KLX351F project bike

Sounds good suprf1y! Thanks!

Ok everyone, here's the new FMF MegaBomb header and Q4 muffler. This evening I fixed the chain and took a short 20 mile ride. Everything is back on track and working well. The bike sounds great. There is a slight pogo in the frontend. It might be from low tire pressure. Haven't checked the air pressure yet.

A few pictures of some of the stuff that I have changed.

SamM

2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E

Old 05-12-2011, 09:15 PM   #79

Ask and ye shall receive

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Foot-Pegs-1994-20...#ht_2760wt_959

My KLX

Old 05-12-2011, 09:51 PM   #80

Looks great suprf1y! These bikes are great fun. I love mine. Can't wait to get the engine redone and do a little suspension work on it. Cogent Dynamics is reworking my spare SF shock now. Should be done shortly.

SamM
2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E

Old 05-12-2011, 09:54 PM   #81

Re: 2009 KLX351F project

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamM
Weldandgrind,
The new wheels lift the bike a little and the bike is less twitchy. It's more neutral now. The 17" wheels made the bike drop into a turn very nicely. Which is good but it's a little more aggressive than I like in such a small package. With the limited power of the 250cc engine, it's not the best combination. A Supermoto type bike is a lot more fun with a lot MORE power. My 2004 KTM 625SMC was a real urban assault vehicle. In the twisties it was a real sportbike killer. To me, a dualsport just feels better. It's very subjective, I know. Make any sense? :roll:
It sure does. I had forgotten about the size difference; I was focused on the aftermarket rims. I've never ridden a supermoto, but I can imagine that you'd want a good amount of power to pull you out of an agressive corner if the bike leans hard.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-12-2011, 11:50 PM   #82

My KLX and I routinely pull some stupid lean angles, on the stock D/S tires! 8O

I say a D/S is better on the street than a SM is in the dirt so that's the way to go for me.

I honestly like my KLX as much in the twisties as I do on the trails. Like I say this bike is a keeper. Plus, everyone knows RED is the fastest color. 8)

Sam, what's your take on the Q4? Not too loud?

Old 05-13-2011, 01:28 AM   #83

2009 KLX351F project bike

Red may be the fastest but black is cool! 8) Everyone knows real bikes are black!

Honestly, it's not too loud for me! The bike is just about perfect with the Q4 on. The bike sounds healthy but not loud. You can hear the engine compared to stock that's for sure. If I need it to be a little more quiet, like maybe in town. I just let off the throttle a little and it's ok for passing through congested areas with law enforcement. She does have a nice burble now but it's not overpowering. Once the KDX snorkle is installed the sound will quiet down some. I can see that the 351 kit will wake the bike up. The decibels will probably go up after that kit is installed. Just a guess.

We have big plans for this bike. Not much will happen for awhile now that I am actually riding it. But if anyone has any ideas about how to remove some weight, please post any suggestions. Shortly, I will start cutting tabs and pieces off the frame. There are many small metal tabs that will not be reused and small parts may be lightened, if I can see justification for it. Trust me it adds up. I got my 2008 KLR down to 345lbs. Like many of you, I will be using this bike off-road. Keeping or actually getting the weight down is paramount on this project. At this point, I'm thinking about not replacing the stock chainguard, that was recently shredded by the chain. I see no reason to replace it. I have a bag of parts that have been removed. The bag holds, bolts, the steel handlebars, grips, the shreded chainguard, reflectors, etc...

The gauge pod no longer works with the 21" front wheel. Meaning the speedo reads very low. So low, in fact that it's not useable anymore. I didn't receive an owner's manual with the bike, so I have no idea if it can be reset for the new 21" wheel diameter. My dealer has been contacted about it, by both me and Kawasaki but still no manual. If the gauge cannot be reset to work with the 21" wheel, I will remove it and install my Trail Tech Vapor on the bike. The headlight and the stock headlight switch may also go away. I have better parts to use. If the gauge pod goes, so will the stock headlight.

Many other things will be changed! :roll: Seriously, please post any thoughts that you may have about weight loss! I want this one to be more like an MX bike. LIGHT! I may also add the backup kickstarter kit and offset that weight gain with a lighter Li-ion battery.

SamM
2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E

Old 05-13-2011, 01:37 AM   #84

If you never plan on carrying a passenger, it's ok to delete the chain guard.

I can't think of much more that would lighten the bike, other than perforating the skid plate.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-13-2011, 01:56 AM   #85

I bought the same, extra-large foot pegs as SuperF1y, and installed them on my Honda XR650L; I like them very much. If you want to shed weight from your bike, I highly recommend you purchase a Shorai battery, Sam! I dropped 5 pounds from my XR650L by substituting a Shorai battery for the stock battery.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=666195

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-13-2011, 02:12 AM   #86

This bike will NEVER have a passenger on it. The passenger pegs will probably go too. I've already had to bend the right steel footguard out of the way to fit the muffler. Tight quarters in that area. The footpegs on this bike are beautifully designed but I will never use them. The angle grinder will take care of them. Same with the helmet lock and all those little net tabs under the seat. It all goes! The passenger strap on the seat has already been removed. It was directly under me. Totally useless. The metal tabs that hold it to the frame will be cut off.

There really is much more. The kickstand safety switch, soon will be GONE. I hate those things. They always fail given enough time. Don't need it. Don't want it. The stock inner fender, taillight and all the turnsignals will be replaced with a DRC Edge tallight and intregal turnsignals. I may use HDB handguards and LED front turnsignals. That way nothing sticks out to get ripped off.

I was very disappointed that Light Speed has stopped making many of their carbonfiber parts for the new KLX250. I could have removed a lot with that stuff.

As soon as I start digging into it I'll find more. Yep, the stock battery will be replaced with a Li-ion battery. I've been looking a several different manufacturers of those.

SamM
2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E

Old 05-13-2011, 08:02 AM   #87

Is the chain seriously a 520? That seems way overkill for 25 to 30 hp. My SV650 puts out 70 hp and many people use a 520 on them. Might be one way to save some weight and rotational mass if there are any conversion sprockets to go with a smaller chain size.

Shorai battery can save 8 lbs., I've read a lot of really good reviews about them.

If money is no option and you are really concerned about a few ounces here and there, they sell Ti fastener kits to replace all the bolts and hardware.

I think the biggest way to loose significant weight on a bike is to eat less candy and go for a run every now and then... :wink:

I've read a lot about the turbo kits on the Yami's, I bet they would fit on the Kawi with a little tweaking... 8O

The bike looks beautiful.

Old 05-13-2011, 10:32 AM   #88

I think the heaviest thing on the KLX is wiring. Unfortunately, you can't lose too much of it. I like my KLX so much, I've been looking for a street plated KLX 300 lately.
Imagine 50 more cc, and 60 pounds less weight?
I ride a lot of single track/hare scramble loop, and have a riot on it. If I do a few days on the KLX, then hop on my KDX 220, it feels like I've picked up 25 lbs of muscle

Old 05-13-2011, 11:43 AM   #89

The footpegs on this bike are beautifully designed

Yes they are. I was impressed by them.

Maybe delete the starter, go with an even smaller and lighter Shorai battery, and add a kickstarter? Mind you this is not for me, as I value The Button. When I stall the bike it's usually in some crappy spot where it's hard to kick start.

The strap on the seat is silly. I don't know what it's for. Maybe some country requires it?

I have the owner's manual and there is nothing in there about calibrating the speedometer. My guess is that there are two versions, one for each wheel size. It could also be that the difference is in the sending unit. If that's the case you'd have a quick and easy way to swap it out.

The TT Vapor dashboard might be a few ounces lighter, but I don't think enough to matter if you can calibrate the existing unit.

Old 05-13-2011, 11:46 AM   #90

I think the biggest way to loose significant weight on a bike is to eat less candy and go for a run every now and then.

Ain't that the truth.

Back in the day I was a competitive bicyclist. The tech weenies used to pay big bucks to get a part that weighed a few grams less than the stock part. The way I see it you could save the same weight by skipping one desert and save a lot of mone in the process. 8)