Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2011, 09:01 PM   #1

Oil, 15w40

So, now that I can move onto the next bike, i bring up my next question. My owners manual indicates 15w40 oil. I recall this as an oil used primarily in diesel applications. Odd. But, do any if u guys use synthetics?

Old 03-18-2011, 09:40 PM   #2

This has been a friendly debate around here for awhile. I believe in synthetics, and I've successfully broken engines in with it. Others break in with dino oil and then switch to synthetic. Others are dino all the way.

I can tell you that my two current quads don't smoke, and the oil is dark but decent at oil change time. I've seen conventional Castrol break down in an ugly way.

BTW, yes 10W40 is typically a diesel weight, and that's a good thing. Diesel oil still has ZDDP (which is primarily Zinc), and bearings love Zinc. You can also find four stroke motorcycle-specific 10W40 oil. Your call.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-19-2011, 02:29 PM   #3

synthetic oil

the synthetic oil is just regular oil refined to get the smaller oil molecules which are slippery./... same dino oil... just full of additives as well.. to me if you are not going to use the advantages of synthetic... longer time between oil changes... or cold weather starting.. then use the regular stuff.. as well there is now synthetic that you can use with wet clutches as most of know... $$$$$

Old 03-20-2011, 08:44 PM   #4

I use maxima 10w40 atv oil

Old 04-27-2011, 08:19 AM   #5

Rotella

Hello guys newby here. I use Rotella in everything I can even in my lawn mowers (30wt) I use 5/40 synthetic in my streetbike Suzuki sv1000 and 15/40 dino oil in my atvs dirtbikes etc its great oil and easy on the wallet it was jaso ma approved recently its a heavy duty oil that contains no friction inhibiters that can make wet clutches slip. Big rig owners have there oil examined on a regular basis so only the best oil makes it thats why there are only a few major brands compared to car oil.
I need help with my atv it has a Zongshen 250cc the reverse gear set is damaged and i am having a hard time finding the right set. It was manufactured in late 2006 the shafts and gears vary slightly from whats available I orderd a set for a Zongshen 250cc but they did not fit the shafts were a bit larger. Where do I begin looking on this site?

Thanks

Old 04-27-2011, 10:31 AM   #6

Welcome sabattuslake!

So as to get maximum exposure for your question (and not hijack this thread :wink: ), please start a new thread in the ATV forum. We'll be glad to assist however we can.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-03-2011, 05:13 AM   #7

royal purple makes a 4 stroke wet clutched motorcycle oil, it will be my oil of choice next oil change on the quad.

other then that im currently using mobile 1 4t motorcycle oil