Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2011, 08:42 PM   #1

Rebel T3 200cc shifting problem

Only a few hours on it. It was hard to get it to shift into 3rd & 4th from the first ride, now it won't even shift into 2nd at all. Goes from reverse - neutral - 1st easy, but not beyond.

There is a slotted cover on top of the engine on the shifter side that was a bit loose, took it off and looks like oil in there - should this be topped up?

Anything else to check? Thanks!

Old 04-19-2011, 09:37 PM   #2

Have you changed the oil yet? the stuff that is shipped in these engines is crap. Drain it, clean the filter and fill the motor with 15W40 four stroke motorcycle oil. When you take a reading, don't screw the dipstick in; just rest it on the hole.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-20-2011, 08:05 AM   #3

Thanks Weld,

I changed the oil before I first started it up, and now just changed it again- where is the filter?

Had to go to work, so wasn't able to start it up and try it out, but the shifter still seems wonky - it used to be able to shift from reverse, neutral, 1st, 2nd with the engine off (gear indicator lights), now it seems to have trouble shifting from neutral to 1st....like it's getting progressively worse.

Is there any adjustments? I've adjusted the clutch, but didn't make any difference. It never had any problems down shifting, just up shifting.

Would there happen to be a separate oil chamber for the transmission since this is a manual? Just wondering what that slotted screw on the top of the engine is for?

Old 04-20-2011, 10:32 AM   #4

Glad to hear that you're not using the shipping oil. The filter is located on the left side, in front of the shifter shaft (you have to get down low to see it). It takes a 24mm socket to remove it.

Unless I'm mistaken, your engine is a unit motor (like my Beast), which means that not only are the engine and trans connected, they share oil. If you're referring to the slotted screw on top of the left side cover, that's an inspection plug for finding top dead center (TDC) of the piston, which is useful for setting valve clearance.

There are two clutch adjustments; one at the lever perch and one in front of the linkage on the right side of the engine. Adjust as necessary to obtain a couple of millimetres of freeplay where the lever meets the perch.

If still no joy, try 10W40 synthetic motorcycle oil. That's what I've been using.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-20-2011, 05:52 PM   #5

Well, it will shift now if I really smack the shifter as hard as I can. Not sure how long it will last with that abuse though...

What do you recommend? Should I pop the covers off & see if there's anything obvious? I've never dug into a small engine before - anything to look for?

Old 04-20-2011, 07:02 PM   #6

run it for 15 or 20 minutes nice and easy like, easy on the shifting.. the the oil time to be circulated and get into all the small dark tight spots in the gears and shifting area's.. its worth a shot to give it it some time to see if the oil change fixed the issue or if the issue actually is in the case somewhere..

Old 04-21-2011, 01:02 AM   #7

So, are you saying that it will shift now as a result of the oil change or the clutch adjustment?

Old 04-21-2011, 01:03 AM   #8

Doc thinks it's a bent shifer fork.

Old 04-21-2011, 02:04 AM   #9

Could be, but I think it's a clutch issue. I wonder if the plates are sticking.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:09 AM   #10

Thanks Guys for the help!

The weather here has been crap so I haven't been able to get it out for a test, just checking it in the garage. I don't know if the oil change got it to shift, or I'm just kicking it harder....I'm smacking it pretty hard.
When it was working before I could feel a click when it went into gear, now I don't get any click or I'm smacking too hard to feel the click.

How would I check if the plates are sticking or a bent shifter fork?

Old 04-21-2011, 10:29 AM   #11

The fastest way is to buy a new clutch; they're certainly cheap enough. As Doc says, be sure to soak the plates in four stroke motorcycle oil before assembly.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:40 PM   #12

My T3 always gets hard to shift when it needs an oil change. It's way of talking back! When I first got it, the oil needed changing after a couple hrs of riding due to bad shifting. Still does it. I may need to finely tune the cable a bit more as well.
Riding a blue plated HSUN 200GY (Otherwise know as a ULIKE 200GY, SUNL 200GY or a VIVA SX200S), a 2010 Gio Mini Hummer 110cc ATV, 2010 Gio T3 Rebel ATV, and a 2002 Kawasaki KLR650, 70cc Katera dirtbike, and a 49cc GIO dirtbike...so far!

Old 04-21-2011, 10:25 PM   #13

Excellent point. Make sure the cable is well lubed by using a cable luber. I use Maxima Chain Wax for cables and chains.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:40 PM   #14

do not try kicking the shift lever hard when you are parked and just clicking it through the gears..at best you will get one or 2 shifts with it not rolling.. if you try to shift it and you dont feel it click, then keep a little pressure on the shifter and rock the quad back and forth, you will feel it then click into gear..

Old 04-22-2011, 10:30 AM   #15

Now discovered that if I pull out on the shifter it will upshift!

Even took it for a ride and reached down, pulled out the shifter (to the left) and got it into 2nd, 3rd, 4th no problem.

There is about 1/8" of play (in and out) on the shaft - any thoughts?