Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2011, 12:11 PM   #1

Rebel T3 won't run unless choke on

I have pissed with these so much, I should know how to resolve this.

Originally, the intake pipe was cracked, which I replaced. Once reassembled, it would not stay running. Would start, then stall after a second or two. Took off performance carb, and put original carb back on. Same problem. Discovered it was leaking between that stupid plastic spacer between carb and intake pipe. Resealed with gasket compound.

Now it starts and runs with choke on, but as soon as I take choke off, it stalls. Does this mean it is too lean? If so, then do I play with the air/fuel mix screw, or do I adjust the needle (up to richen, correct?)?

EDITED TO ADD; also installed new plug, just in case...

Old 03-19-2011, 02:25 PM   #2

stalling

it sounds like you still have a vacuum leak... when it is running on the choke..... and then stalls when you push the chole off... it is getting too much air... if you try to adjust the air screw... and it does not change the idle... then this really helps to tell you that you have too much air... vacuum leak... spray some either around the carb to pipe connects and pipe to motor... if it stalls or revs up it is leaking where you sprayed it... there was a message about checking to make sure the oring groove was not cut too deep .. this allowed the oring to not make contact with the other part to seal... I have taken the black plastic adapter off and just used a CORK GASKET.. nothing on the gasket( no glue , silicone .. nothing..This worked.. try it this always helps you to find the vacuum leak,..

Old 03-19-2011, 04:08 PM   #3

Try the A/F screw first, that controls the idle mixture along with the pilot jet, moving the jet needle clip is for the midrange, not sure if you've replaced the stock fuel filter but it could be possible that you have some crap in the pilot jet as well, and richen up the A/F screw will not help if the pilot is plugged up.

Old 03-19-2011, 04:37 PM   #4

Re: stalling

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLASHLIGHTBOY
it sounds like you still have a vacuum leak... I have taken the black plastic adapter off and just used a CORK GASKET.. nothing on the gasket( no glue , silicone .. nothing..This worked.. try it this always helps you to find the vacuum leak,..
Yeah, that's my next fix I guess. I have some cork gasket material, and will replace that plastic spacer with that, as well as the gasket between the intake tube and the head. When it warms up... every weekend, I curse that fact that I don't have a garage to work in :(

Old 04-11-2011, 09:26 PM   #5

Re: stalling

Quote:
Originally Posted by FosterVS
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLASHLIGHTBOY
it sounds like you still have a vacuum leak... I have taken the black plastic adapter off and just used a CORK GASKET.. nothing on the gasket( no glue , silicone .. nothing..This worked.. try it this always helps you to find the vacuum leak,..
Yeah, that's my next fix I guess. I have some cork gasket material, and will replace that plastic spacer with that, as well as the gasket between the intake tube and the head. When it warms up... every weekend, I curse that fact that I don't have a garage to work in :(
Replaced gaskets with cork. Still wouldn't run properly. So I pulled the stock carb off, and installed a "performance" carb, the 30mm Chikuni. Fired right up. Clip on needle at center position, air/fuel screw out 2 1/4 turns. I truly am getting tired of messing with this crap, see other thread about the broken frame. I get the lovely job of completely stripping this thing down to the frame, taking the paint off every joint and rewelding it.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:38 PM   #6

CARB PROBLEM

OK so what do you thinkwas wrong because you changed the carb .. and it worked.. so then the carb itself was screwed???

Old 04-12-2011, 12:45 AM   #7

Too bad about the frame, Foster. Have you bought a MIG welder?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer