Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2011, 07:15 PM   #1

random beast chain information

well guys turns out most if not all of us are running the wrong chain, according to the box my d.i.d. chain came in from diado koygo japan.. this chain is used for a max of 125cc.. which got me thinking so i pulled out the 2011 rockymountain catalog i have for bathroom reading material. turns out all quads 200cc and bigger all run a 520 chain..

so next winter my sprockets are being upgraded to 520 sprockets cuz i dont like the idea of running something weaker then its supposed to be.. altho ive never snapped a chain nor had any problems with my stock 428 chain. i just preffer that peice of mind cuz a lot of times when you snap a chain it takes out a chunk of the engine case around the front sprocket area. figure 125 bucks at most for new sprockets and a 520 chain is a lot easier and cheaper then replacing a motor..

also wanted to know if there is enough adjustment to adjust my chain tension for a link shorter then stock ? i cut my chain to length today but had to cut it a link shorter otherwise i wouldnt have ended up with a barrel on both ends of the chain for the master link..

Old 03-10-2011, 08:03 PM   #2

There's some adjustment, but not much.

I punished my quad for 18 months before I broke the master link, but the 428 is still good. These aren't big torque motors like modern stuff.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-10-2011, 08:04 PM   #3

Re: random beast chain information

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizke
well guys turns out most if not all of us are running the wrong chain, according to the box my d.i.d. chain came in from diado koygo japan.. this chain is used for a max of 125cc.. which got me thinking so i pulled out the 2011 rockymountain catalog i have for bathroom reading material. turns out all quads 200cc and bigger all run a 520 chain..
Yeah, but the liquid cooled 125cc is probably putting out more power than our air cooled 200cc's, our beast engines make about 14.5HP ( as per GIO specs) yet i use 428 chain on my microsprint at 50hp with no problems, 520-530 would be nice, but i don't think it's really needed for our quads.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:06 PM   #4

Junior dragsters use a #35 chain (that's very small), and some of them are North of 25hp. I've never seen one break at the track.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-10-2011, 08:15 PM   #5

well i stand corrected, i just thought it was a mess up at the factory so thats why i shared...

Old 03-10-2011, 08:51 PM   #6

This is a good discussion topic, because it provides info for several readers at once, even those who aren't members.

Guys like us are trying to squeak every last horsepower out of our quads, and we get there with synthetic oil and light chains, in addition to power mods. There is a condition known as tolerance stack-up, and while it's more suited to referencing worn parts, it can also be applied here. If you measured the surface area of the rollers and the sprocket for a 520 and then compared it with a 428, you'd get a sense of how much more effort is required to spin the 520.

Bottom line, if the 428 gets the job done and uses less power to do it, it's a good choice. If you plan on riding long distances on your own, a 520 might be a better option for reliability.

Old 03-11-2011, 06:22 AM   #7

I just went with the 520 chain on my blaster project because I knew it was easier to find a 520 that fits the china engine rather than finding a 428 sprocket that fits the blaster.

The way it runs now it has plenty of GO and with a few more mods it will really wake up.I may even get to go from a 12T to a 14T.

Old 03-12-2011, 02:04 PM   #8

In perspective: old English bikes (Triumph, BSA, Norton) use 520 chain, and if memory serves early 750 Honda.