Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Riding > Ride Reports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2011, 11:26 PM   #1

Another great ride on the Desert KiLleRs!

After work today Roger and I headed out to the desert on the KLR's.

We rode 150 miles total today, about 50 of those off pavement. About 5 were in sand, which is a miserable experiance on a KLR. I managed to not get stuck (almost twice ) or tip over. Roger was not so lucky. My back hurts. Picking up KLR's in the sand is not easy work! :wink:

We wound up at a little farm town called Kahlotus. Population seems to be around zero. We met a nice pitbull, but no signs of people. It looks very Old West. Great fun! :P

Old 02-19-2011, 11:46 PM   #2

Lol! Rogers in jail for dropping his KLR! Definitely a top heavy beasty to run in sand... I pass by a really nice sand pit that I used to ride my old PE250 in twice a day when I'm commuting to work on my KLR. But, I don't dare turn off and play in the sand because I'm pretty sure I would have the same result as Roger! Especially with my Avon Gripsters, definitely not a sand/mud tread! Cool ride and cool town, thanks for sharing

Cheers,
Stew

Old 02-20-2011, 12:23 AM   #3

Some more pics to share of the Juniper Dunes Wilderness Area. I did not take these very nice photos.

Desert? In Washington? That's what I said before I moved up here! :P

Old 02-20-2011, 12:25 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICRider
Lol! Rogers in jail for dropping his KLR! Definitely a top heavy beasty to run in sand... I pass by a really nice sand pit that I used to ride my old PE250 in twice a day when I'm commuting to work on my KLR. But, I don't dare turn off and play in the sand because I'm pretty sure I would have the same result as Roger! Especially with my Avon Gripsters, definitely not a sand/mud tread! Cool ride and cool town, thanks for sharing

Cheers,
Stew
That was funny! Roger in jail for dropping the KLR!

The good news is not a scratch on Roger or the Killer. He has nerf bars and the sand was soft.

Old 02-20-2011, 10:18 AM   #5

I've never had good luck with big motorcycles and sand. For about 6 months I ran a dedicated run to Southern Cal and back. I used to keep my bikes at a storage place across the street from a truckstop in Kingman, Az. The DR350 with 50/50 tires didn't like soft sand, but my little Yamaha125 with off road knobbies worked really good. It also helped that I could stand up and help walk it thru the really deep stuff.

Those are awesome pics, and likewise I remember my first time up in your area. I thought it would be nothing but trees from western Montana all the way to the Pacific. I guess the moisture drops out when it goes over the Cascades?

Have you ever taken a road trip up to see the Coulee Dam? The ride there might be kinda "ho hum" depending how you go to get there, but the Dam is pretty neat to look at. From there, there is several highways to the west that have some nice turns and pretty views.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:17 AM   #6

Thanks for posting all the great photos, whether you took them, or someone else took them!

I don't like riding in sand! I don't enjoy riding my Zong in sand, let alone my XR650L, and the KLR650 weighs 86 pounds more than my Honda! 8O I can understand why your back hurts, Brother Bill!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 02-21-2011, 06:16 PM   #7

That dude on the quad with paddles has the right idea; that's a sand machine. 8)

Thanks for the shots Doc! Love the old West town look.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-03-2011, 01:20 PM   #8

yea, big quads are king in sand.