Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-12-2015, 03:43 PM   #1

We've got a runner

Howdy everyone! I've been away for almost a year, but I've finally had some time to return to the Chonda. When I last posted in July of last year, I had just gotten some parts in, and gotten the bike to crank up for the first time. Around the same time, I picked up a neglected Harley Sportster that has been occupying most of my free time and budget.

Restoring the Harley to running and riding condition has been no small endeavor, the best part is how much I've learned about motorcycles. After getting it back on the road, I managed to get 100 miles out of it before the primary chain tensioner broke and prompted a clutch/primary overhaul. During the downtime waiting for parts, I got bored, and finally made some room in the shed and brought the Chonda home - she had been living in a friend's shed for quite awhile.

I dove into the wiring and discovered lots of previous owner "fixes" that I had to unfix. I finally have full electrical function, and everything works like it's supposed to!! The fuel petcock was leaking when on, but I was able to slow the leak to a dribble - not safe by any stretch of the imagination, but it was enough to allow me to tinker with the bike enough to get it started again.

The first thing I noticed was the astronomically high idle speed. I would guess that it was ideling around 2500-3000 RPM. I could let go of the clutch and the bike would take off nicely. I finally figured out how to adjust the idle at the throttle assembly, and obtained a nice idle ~900RPM. The 30 Mikuni carb probably needs to be jetted a little higher, but I was ripping up the street into 5th gear with no problems. I weigh in around 250lbs, so I was pleasantly surprised. There is no speedo cable on the bike, but I would guess that I was hitting around 60mph, and it felt like the bike had more to give, if I wanted it. I rode all around my rural neighborhood, testing and tweaking things, and the bike was running great. The only issue I was having was starting it, I had to hook up jumper cables from my truck, and even then I couldn't get the motor to spin more than 1 revolution, so I would use the button to prime the engine, then kick it over. This method worked marginally well when the engine was cold, when it was hot, I could kick start it with one or two kicks. What I previously thought was a valve timing issue coupled with high compression turned out to be a weak starter solenoid. I ordered a new battery, new starter solenoid, and that problem was solved, the starter is now able to turn the engine over in the conventional way. Before I got the new batt and solenoid however, the fuel leak had gotten worse, and I tried to tighten up the petcock fitting again, only to have it strip right off and pour a full tank of fuel right out of the bottom. Luckily I had an oil drain pan withing arms' reach and kept most of it from spilling on the ground.

Now I am once again waiting on parts. I have a new valve/inspection cover coming, to replace the cracked and leaking one, as well as a grips/throttle sleeve/throttle assembly/throttle cable set I found on eBay for $15 <here>, LED turn signals, a UNI pod air filter, petcock, fuel filter, fuel line, mirrors and mirror clamps. Several of the items are coming from China, and show delivery dates of 4/17 - 5/23, so I will just have to wait.

Once I have those parts, I am going to try for a Vermont license plate that I should be able to transfer to North Carolina *fingers crossed*

Here's a current pic

One more thing I want to do to the bike is replace the wimpy stock headlight. After much consideration and looking at different options, I think I have settled on this one

I also plan to paint the engine and both wheels with black high gloss engine enamel, and paint the remaining shiny bits and front forks with either hi-heat BBQ paint, or plasti-dip to match the side plastics and fenders that I have already painted. There are a few worn areas of the frame and handlebars that I'd like to paint as well, and the seat needs recovered or replaced. That's about it for now. One thing's for sure, I wouldn't have gotten nearly this far without the awesome people on this forum. From the bottom of my heart!!!

Be Dragonized!

Last edited by JPG1911; 04-12-2015 at 04:01 PM. Reason: add links