ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Zongshen RX3 (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=136)
-   -   Center Stand Install (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=14817)

woodlandsprite 06-13-2015 12:56 AM

Center Stand Install

So, I know to squeeze coins into the spring to expand it to install....

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/348/18...ea250748_z.jpg

Is it as simple as position the stand, send the pin through, secure the ends of the pin using the little C rings (upper left - speaking of which, is there a trick to getting these on?) then bolt on the tab (look under the bike for the corresponding hole in the frame), then mount the spring?

SpudRider 06-13-2015 03:40 AM

Yes, I would install the center stand exactly as you describe. :)

I would use a pair of pliers to coax the circlip onto the end of the mounting pin. If necessary, you can use two pairs of pliers to grip, and spread the wings of the circlip. Widening the wings of the circlip might ease the installation. ;)

JTHSPACE 06-13-2015 07:53 AM

Where possible (spring fitting), wear a pair of gardening gloves or similar, I have had these things try and bite me more than once :)

Weldangrind 06-13-2015 11:02 AM

I recommend Loctite 242 when bolting the tab on.

Please show us pics of the completed installation.

SpudRider 06-13-2015 01:20 PM

X2 on the gloves, loctite, and request for photos. :)

fishman10 06-13-2015 06:27 PM

centerstand

heres mine,,,,,,,http://i948.photobucket.com/albums/a...0/IMG_0668.jpg

humanbeing 06-13-2015 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTHSPACE (Post 186941)
Where possible (spring fitting), wear a pair of gardening gloves or similar, I have had these things try and bite me more than once :)

the Tool ? http://www.motorfans.com.cn/bbs/view...authorid=75082

woodlandsprite 06-13-2015 06:46 PM

I wish I could show you all a photo of the installed stand....
I ran into a small problem:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/458/18...1735d363_z.jpg

After trying to get it positioned and much cussing, I gave up and got my micrometer...

uh...anyone have a grinder I can borrow? I do have a flat file, I could probably take a hair off either side of the center bit of the center stand to make it fit...but there is no way it's going in there the way it is now.

SpudRider 06-14-2015 12:24 AM

I fear you will be filing a long time. :ohno: I would either trim the center stand with an angle grinder, or have CSC send me a center stand which fits. ;)

SpudRider 06-14-2015 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishman10 (Post 186958)
heres mine...

It looks good, Fish. :) How do you like the center stand?

woodlandsprite 06-14-2015 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpudRider (Post 186978)
or have CSC send me a center stand which fits. ;)

That photo was dispatched to CSC before I posted it here :) I called and left them a voicemail before I was clever enough to get the calipers.

fishman10 06-14-2015 08:39 AM

Centerstand

spud,, while it does make lub ing the chain an adjusting the rear shock easier (btw the rear shock is abysmal ). It's only good for street use, as you can see it hangs down very low

JTHSPACE 06-14-2015 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humanbeing (Post 186959)

That looks a useful homemade tool, one of those that someone makes and it is used one or twice in a lifetime, but is worth its weight in gold.

AZRider 06-14-2015 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodlandsprite (Post 186960)
uh...anyone have a grinder I can borrow? I do have a flat file, I could probably take a hair off either side of the center bit of the center stand to make it fit...but there is no way it's going in there the way it is now.

I have a grinder and if you're within a reasonable distance of Phoenix, I've been known to travel for a good cup of tea. Must be the Brit in me.

Weldangrind 06-14-2015 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodlandsprite (Post 186960)
I wish I could show you all a photo of the installed stand....
I ran into a small problem:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/458/18...1735d363_z.jpg

After trying to get it positioned and much cussing, I gave up and got my micrometer...

That's less than 0.5mm difference. I bet a few love taps with a hammer would widen the mount enough so that the stand slips right in.

SpudRider 06-14-2015 12:21 PM

Anyone with a grinding wheel, such as a machinist, could quickly grind down both ends of the tube to the desired width. ;) I doubt he would charge much, if anything, for such a quick fix.

MICRider 06-14-2015 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishman10 (Post 186991)
spud,, while it does make lub ing the chain an adjusting the rear shock easier (btw the rear shock is abysmal ). It's only good for street use, as you can see it hangs down very low

That does hang down low, is there any way to bring it up more?

woodlandsprite 06-14-2015 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishman10 (Post 186991)

Fish, Do you intend to remove it when riding off road/on dirt?
I bought it to make maintenance easier since we haven't got bike stands and have limited storage space (and weld, I did have a good look at the yard, but there really isn't space for a shed :P)

woodlandsprite 06-14-2015 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZRider (Post 187000)
I have a grinder and if you're within a reasonable distance of Phoenix, I've been known to travel for a good cup of tea. Must be the Brit in me.

George, I might take you up on that - let me see what CSC responds with. I would be happy to drive the part to your place for grinding along with a box/tin of whatever tea you like :) Or you can leave it up to me and I will select some fancy tea - but you'd have to let me know if you have a thing for certain types of tea. My husband does not understand why I need so many different types of tea in the cupboard.

fishman10 06-14-2015 07:13 PM

center stand

no i dont foresee removing it, unless i can figure out how to make the suspension more offroad capable,,,,i will limit this bike to gravel roads in the state forests of pennsyvania.

AZRider 06-14-2015 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodlandsprite (Post 187020)
George, I might take you up on that - let me see what CSC responds with. I would be happy to drive the part to your place for grinding along with a box/tin of whatever tea you like :) Or you can leave it up to me and I will select some fancy tea - but you'd have to let me know if you have a thing for certain types of tea. My husband does not understand why I need so many different types of tea in the cupboard.

If you do, I can also bring the shock spanner. No extra tea charge.

jimjr21 06-15-2015 11:00 AM

I had the same clearance issue on 3 of the bikes I assembled.

The frame tabs are designed to be cut off at the factory after assembly of the motorcycle. They used to build the bike. CSC is using them to attach the centerstand. Factory tolerance is not an issue as is a one use tabs.

Fix was to tap the tabs to more space with a dead blow hammer. They move fairly easily.

woodlandsprite 06-15-2015 01:48 PM

Hmm. Tap the tabs or grind the stand...seems like those are my two options.
CSC suggested grinding - specifically, they think filing the end should be sufficient. I guess I can give that a try since I have the files on hand.

SpudRider 06-15-2015 02:30 PM

I don't know the thickness of the metal tube, but filing will definitely work. ;) Using a grinding wheel or angle grinder is merely much faster. :)

jimjr21 06-15-2015 02:39 PM

Yours is less than .5mm.
Hammer is quick and easy. I had one over 1.0mm. It took stand grinding.

SpudRider 06-15-2015 02:56 PM

I suggest you also measure the clearance at the top. Indeed, if only the bottom is tight, nothing is quicker and easier than using a hammer. ;)

woodlandsprite 06-15-2015 11:09 PM

Will do Spud, but likely not until the weekend, and only if I manage to wake up early enough - they've gone and posted a heat advisory and now I understand why people put air conditioning in their garages. At this rate, I'm not going to get a chance to try to install my barkbusters (arriving sometime this week I think) without melting into a puddle next to the bike :P

Honestly not sure how hard one would have to tap the brackets with a hammer to move them - they are in such an awkward location I would think it would be difficult to get a decent swing in!

SpudRider 06-15-2015 11:59 PM

Each side only needs to move a fraction of a millimeter. Also, you can hit the brackets with either a round, or a square punch. ;)

woodlandsprite 06-16-2015 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpudRider (Post 187128)
Also, you can hit the brackets with either a round, or a square punch. ;)

Are you sure you don't work for Harbor Freight? ;) I see you really want me to add the punch and chisel set to my tool box :D You are cracking me up with your subtle hints ;)

SpudRider 06-16-2015 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodlandsprite (Post 187129)
Are you sure you don't work for Harbor Freight? ;) I see you really want me to add the punch and chisel set to my tool box :D You are cracking me up with your subtle hints ;)

:lmao:

No, I don't work for Harbor Freight, but I do love Harbor Freight. :tup:

P.S. That really is a nice punch and chisel set. :D

:hehe:

AZRider 06-16-2015 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodlandsprite (Post 187122)
Will do Spud, but likely not until the weekend, and only if I manage to wake up early enough - they've gone and posted a heat advisory and now I understand why people put air conditioning in their garages. At this rate, I'm not going to get a chance to try to install my barkbusters (arriving sometime this week I think) without melting into a puddle next to the bike :P

Honestly not sure how hard one would have to tap the brackets with a hammer to move them - they are in such an awkward location I would think it would be difficult to get a decent swing in!

You may find it easier to put a car scissor jack or better yet, a hydraulic jack between the lugs and open them up. More control than swinging a hammer.

rjmorel 06-16-2015 01:41 AM

The econobob way to make it easier to get RX3 up on center stand and a way to keep rear tire up off ground while cleaning and oiling chain. Put spacer board under rear tire and it lessons the effort needed to get it up on center stand as you don't have to lift it as far up cause the board already lifted R tire up 1-1/2". Use it lengthwise to prop up the swing arm to do chain maintenance or removing R tire. Used this on my recent 1000 mile trip at Hell's Canyon ADV Rally. I had made it for my Honda NX250 years ago and it works good on the Zong, RJ

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/g...psrhr657nk.jpg

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/g...pslsg9zevi.jpg

JTHSPACE 06-16-2015 08:46 AM

What a neat invention! You can also use it under the side stand to either keep the bike a little more upright (checking oil window if you have one) or to stop the side stand sinking into soft ground. You should patent it and get it into production.

Huck369 06-16-2015 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodlandsprite (Post 187122)

A cheap Box fan will do wonders for you while working in your garage....

Weldangrind 06-16-2015 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZRider (Post 187141)
You may find it easier to put a car scissor jack or better yet, a hydraulic jack between the lugs and open them up. More control than swinging a hammer.

It may be a little crude, but Vise Grips locked onto the tab will allow you to bend the tabs in or out as necessary. You can always lock the Vise Grips over a cloth if you're worried about the paint.

Weldangrind 06-16-2015 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjmorel (Post 187142)
I had made it for my Honda NX250 years ago and it works good on the Zong, RJ

RJ, do you still have your NX? If so, I'd love to see it. If you have pics, please start a new thread.

woodlandsprite 06-16-2015 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huck369 (Post 187151)
A cheap Box fan will do wonders for you while working in your garage....

:) Oh I brought a fan into the garage last weekend - it helped some :) Now I also know why I see photos of people's bikes inside their houses ;)

woodlandsprite 06-16-2015 11:40 AM

RJ - what a great idea :) Will have to see if I can't find some wood scraps to make one of my own!

Weld & George: Thanks for the ideas - probably won't get a chance to work on the bike again until this weekend...I definitely have a scissor jack that might fit in that gap - and worst case, I go after the stand with a file...

rjmorel 06-16-2015 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weldangrind (Post 187155)
RJ, do you still have your NX? If so, I'd love to see it. If you have pics, please start a new thread.

Weld, no I don't have the NX any more. Great little bike. I think the RX3 is kinda a updated version of the NX. It was a 1988 i think and parts were getting harder to find and left me stranded a few times with the CDI acting up.

JTHSPACE, I'd patent it but since it's so easy to make, nah, I'll let you guys design and create a better one. It did come in handy fixing a rear flat this past week out in the boonies though. rj

SpudRider 06-16-2015 01:14 PM

RJ, that's a great tip for making it easier to loft the bike on the center stand. :) In a pinch, one could also roll the rear tire onto a flat rock. ;)