Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2011, 08:45 AM   #1

Woooooooo! Newb to atv and china atv riding!!!

Howdee folks! I'm new to atv riding in general, as well as new to the "Import Bike" experience

My name's Rob, and I'm from SouthEast Kentucky. I just purchased my first atv, and it happens to be a no name chinese sport quad that I got a steal on.

Being that I paid under $500 for this quad, it obviously has some issues...but structurally and for the most part, it is quite sound. I found this forum page after searching relentlessly for a forum site dominant in all-things Chinese atv's.

I'll definitely be asking some questions about advice on this quad and what I should do to improve the riding experience...hopefully for rather cheap, lol.

Looking forward to meeting everyone that chats on here! God Bless!

Old 05-05-2011, 10:26 AM   #2

Welcome!

We're gonna need pics of your new ATV.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-05-2011, 10:56 AM   #3

Welcome. Please post some pics of your atv.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:47 AM   #4

Welcome to the forum. You are in the right spot. We look foreward to pictures. You live in a beautiful area of the country.

Old 05-06-2011, 02:55 AM   #5

Welcome! You came to the right place. Did anyone mention we love photos?

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-06-2011, 08:34 AM   #6

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the kind words, and I'm looking forward to getting some things done to this quad so it's a good runner once again :-) I've got some photos here I took yesterday evening, but be fore-warned, it's in no means very clean or tidy right now, I'm going to have to replace quite a few things to put it back in good shape, but it's a start...

Thanks FastDoc, yeah I love it in Kentucky, just struggling with the allergy and sinus season right now =P I went up in the hills for the first time this year, last weekend, with my uncle on his Foreman 450, and I thought my head would swell up from all the unfamiliar weeds and pollen, LOL.

Here's the first pic:

Ehh, automatic CVT, but it's a starter quad so it'll do I s'pose:

Rear end:

Could anyone tell me what the hose hanging out of the silver metal casing is for? (I assume it's to let air to the engine or tranny but really don't know):

Another angle:

Other side:

Old 05-06-2011, 10:44 AM   #7

I spotted a few differences between yours and mine. You have a round slider carb, which means that choke control and jet changes are much simpler. You also have a planetary reverse mechanism, whereas my reverse device is in the rear axle, making mine very heavy.

Forum member Reveeen is the authority on CVT systems, but I can provide some basics. As i understand it, that hose on the front of the CVT cover is for cooling, and it should have a foam filter in it as well. If you remove that side cover, you'll see how the power from the engine is transferred to the gearbox in a dry fashion; there is a large belt that connects the two.

Unlike machines with a wet clutch, you can use regular 10W30 engine oil in the engine, but you should use 75W90 or 80W90 gear oil in the gearbox.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-06-2011, 11:14 AM   #8

Ok, sounds good, thanks for the info!

So, this is going to sound really stupid of me, but where do you put the gear oil in? I was under the impression it all worked together because of what the guy I bought it from said. He told me with this one you just have to put the oil in the engine (and he did say I could use regular 10W30, like you mentioned), and it works for the engine as well as the transmission, because they are connected. Is that true or does that negate what you mentioned about the gear oil?

I wonder if I'll need to replace the belt on it, that kindof bums me out 'cause I thought it was all chain driven, but maybe with a strong belt it'll have enough strength to do some damage on the dirt roads. I know I could ride my dad's 49cc Roketa moped with ease, and get it up to about 25-28mph on a straight, flat road, which is about the top speed it was rated for anyways.

I did look up the GY6 engines last night online, and I found a few sources that claimed that there are both 200cc and 150cc versions, but it seems that 150cc is the dominant, and I'm not sure, maybe in order for it to be a 200cc it has to be converted...? I noticed several people changing their 150cc to a 200cc via bigger piston/bore, cylinder head, all that technical stuff...

Old 05-06-2011, 11:55 AM   #9

That's not stupid; we all started somewhere. The gear oil is drained via a plug at the very back of the CVT, and you don't need to remove any covers to access it. Once you study that are, it will be clear to you. There is a lower plug for draining and a higher plug for filling; expect the crap that comes out of there to smell foul, like wood preservative. Select a new quart of gear oil that has a nozzle for a top, and it will be very easy to fill the gearbox. Simply fill until it runs out of the fill hole. Please take a pic of the area if you have any questions.

Yes, the engine is seperate, and 10W30 is fine for that.

You can remove the cover and inspect the belt, but my guess is that it will be fine. Take a look at both pulleys as well, and make sure that there are no grooves worn in them where the belt rides.

I'd stay away from big bore kits at this time. Get it running to your satisfaction first.

Old 05-08-2011, 12:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrmaster88
Could anyone tell me what the hose hanging out of the silver metal casing is for? (I assume it's to let air to the engine or tranny but really don't know):

the wifes has this same set up and her air inlet is pointed downwards where yours is pointed upwards...I assume that pointed down is better that way water can't accumulate in there so you might want to flip it over.

oh and welcome