Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2011, 01:03 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Sack-Slapped Send a message via MSN to Sack-Slapped Send a message via Yahoo to Sack-Slapped
Hello, I'm new

Hi there, I'm new here I came across this site while looking for parts for my komoto 250cc. I did some lookin' around and I figured I'd register.

I have a couple of questions though. First, just how easy is it to find parts for these things? I bought mine last year for $1300 for a first bike(I'm 15 right now). It only had 21 miles on it, so I thought it was a steal. Right, it was, for the first 1500 miles :( It needs a new clutch, but I can't find parts ANYWHERE >.>

Second, my model number for it is QH250-GY. I did a google search on it, and hi-bird makes a dirt bike that looks JUST like mine, so will the parts be inter-changeable? I seem to be able to find way more hits on google for hi-bird than komoto.

Anyways, enough of a long post about my horrible bike :P Got any questions? Just ask.

ps: I'll try and get a picture of it up here soon, i was reading the other topics and it seems you guys want to see all the newbie's bikes haha.

Old 05-03-2011, 01:12 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Sack-Slapped Send a message via MSN to Sack-Slapped Send a message via Yahoo to Sack-Slapped
Well as it turns out, I have a picture of it when I first got it on my facebook, so here it is.

It still has the plastic on the seat and everything. Now it looks way different, that side plastic is off because my battery box broke, so it have it electrical taped onto the frame and now the plastic won't fit :P I've layed it down a couple times at low speeds(you know, slippery gas station parking lots after it rained, a muddy field, doing wheelies in the backyard.. )

Yes, thats me. I'm huge, I know haha(not just in weight, i'm 6'5"). unfortunately I'm limited to a 250cc by law until i'm 16, so i'm stuck with this until october.[/img]

Old 05-03-2011, 01:58 AM   #3

Welcome!

You're lucky; my 16yo won't be able to ride a bike like yours until he's 17. We have a graduated licensing program that prevents him from riding anything but a 50cc scooter by himself. At least he'll be able to ride something bigger if I follow him.

Hard to tell from the pic, but it looks like a typical Honda clone. The clutches are easy to find on eBay. Here's one that is likely right: http://cgi.ebay.ca/CLUTCH-ASSEMBLY-2...item41573a1be5 You'll have to pull your right side cover off to confirm.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-03-2011, 03:14 AM   #4

Welcome to these forums! You came to the right place. Since you already posted a photo, I can tell you are a fast learner! Weldangrind knows his Hondas. I encourage you to check out the clutch he recommended.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-03-2011, 09:59 AM   #5

Welcome! Komoto and Hi-Bird are pretty much one and the same. Think Ford and Mercury. Komoto sold for $100 more due to their upside-down forks and dual disc brakes--but I don't want to tell you how much they cost new :? They were a bargain at the time...this was before the first gas price hike and now with the second one coming on strong, these bikes seem to hold their value.

Hi-bird parts will interchange. See if Vbike can help you out. They sold quite a few of the Hi-Birds (I think they were the only ones dealing in them) and Anam Motors (don't quote me on the spelling) were one of the primary dealers of the Komotos (I believe both dealers are still in business, although the HB and Komoto are long gone from their sites). Search these threads for info on the Hi-Birds and Komotos--we discussed them quite extensively up to about 2 or so years ago, and I know both dealers were discussed, too.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 05-03-2011, 12:56 PM   #6

Alright awesome thanks My main problem with this bike is I had it sent off to a motorcycle mechanics house. He teaches that at the local college and he couldn't even fix it. To get the clutch out, you need 3 special tools. He had the machine shop at the college make 2/3, so we can't even get the clutch out to match it to something? Any ideas on what these tools might be?

Old 05-03-2011, 01:13 PM   #7

Welcome to the forum! You are indeed a big guy! They grow them big in Oklahoma.

I'm curious how fast that 200 will take you. The only tools needs for your bike would be the same ones to work on any Honda 200, one of the most common bikes in creation. Not sure what the problem is...

Old 05-03-2011, 02:48 PM   #8

It's actually a 250, or so it says. The spedometer is messed up so I'm not really sure how fast it really is going, but it said I was doing 80. Thats the fastest I've gotten it up to.

Well basically the problem is sorta like this: Around 1500 miles, I noticed that the clutch would be fine when I started riding, but after a few miles of riding(I live in town, stop and go traffic) when I was at a stop in first gear with the clutch pulled all the way it, it would start slipping like it was trying to start moving. I babied it another 200 miles by just putting it into neutral before I came to a stop(it was so bad that at a stand still, I couldn't shift gears). It was almost as if the clutch was being half pulled in, when it was really being pulled in the whole way. And the adjustment screw was all the way out, if it wasn't there was no tension on the lever at all.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:15 PM   #9

Your clutch is dragging not slipping. Common to these bikes. You may be able to get rid of it with a switch to non-energy conserving synthetic oil. Woth the $5. 8)

Old 05-03-2011, 05:28 PM   #10

Like Doc says, non-energy conserving oil is the way to go, or simply buy four stroke motorcycle oil. I'd choose 10W40 or 15W40 at this time of year.

Don't forget to clean the filter when you change the oil, in case you weren't aware.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-03-2011, 07:23 PM   #11

I'll be sure and try that as soon as I get the handle back together. When I dropped it off at the guys house, while he had it he took the cable off the lever and now I'm not exactly sure how it goes back on. However, when I pull the steel cable inside the black cable looking thing, I can shift gears. So I'm assuming that I would attach the steel cable to the little loop on the lever? It's hard to explain, i'd have to take a picture of it to show what I'm talking about. Sorry, I'm new to this mechanics stuff :P

Old 05-03-2011, 07:47 PM   #12

See, thats what scares me. You have someone teaching bike mechanics that doesnt even know how to work on a simple design. Thats why almost always wrench on my own bikes. Either they dont know what they are doing or they do and think Im stupid and try and rip me off. I would love to have a mechanic I could trust and be able to drop the bike off with no worries. It just aint happening around here where I live. Greedy ******* (jerks)! lol

Old 05-03-2011, 07:51 PM   #13

After reading this website, I think the guys kinda stupid too haha. At least he didn't charge us anything, we had it at his house for about a month and a half. My dad wants to take it to another place, but after reading a bit on here I think we could fix it ourselves. I'm scared that they'll rip us off, cause like weldagrind posted above, that clutch assembly was only $60 including shipping, I'm guessing that they'll charge us way more. Plus, if I fix it myself, I'll have more knowledge about it. Knowledge is key when you're young

Old 05-03-2011, 08:41 PM   #14

You CAN do it.

Old 05-03-2011, 10:44 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sack-Slapped
After reading this website, I think the guys kinda stupid too haha. At least he didn't charge us anything, we had it at his house for about a month and a half. My dad wants to take it to another place, but after reading a bit on here I think we could fix it ourselves. I'm scared that they'll rip us off, cause like weldagrind posted above, that clutch assembly was only $60 including shipping, I'm guessing that they'll charge us way more. Plus, if I fix it myself, I'll have more knowledge about it. Knowledge is key when you're young
Knowledge is power at any age! You can do it; we will help you! I recommend you try Rotella T, 5W-40, Synthetic motor oil; it might fix your dragging clutch.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894