Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2011, 06:03 AM   #1

No spark on Zong (cause & effect)

When i was returning home during heavy rain my bike died on me. Actually it gave me signs few minutes before that. I was only few
km from home when engine started cutting out just for a second or two. I realized that i only had few minutes before i had to push.
I was thinking which way is the shortest way to my house. As i was coming to roundabout i wanted to go straight and try to eliminated
as many hills as possible it started cutting out again. I slammed the brakes my wheel locked and i turned right. I continued another
few minutes before coming to a first big heal as i was about to go over it engine started cutting out again. And then some more and then
a loud back fire. I thought to myself probably my exhaust has a big hole in it, that's how loud it was. But to my surprise the exhaust was still there.
It wouldn't start. No matter how much i tried. So it was first time i had to push my Zong back home.

I didn't know what was the problem. First i thought maybe water has enter fuel or something like that. But somebody was helping
me push my Zong on the last big hill and he said check the electrical system. That's where my first clue came from.

I saw from BrianW that he also had same problem and i thought like others it was CDI unit. I looked for one but couldn't find it. Few
days later he said he fixed it was coil. So i thought to myself if it worked for BrianW sure it will work for me. It didn't. Still no spark.

I won't go into details what happened is a guy from the mechanic shop offered to come to my place. You won't find many people like him
in today’s world. Because owner of the shop said that they can't work on Chinese bikes because they don't have spare parts or specifications.

What did he find. A screw up from previous mechanic who worked on Zong. :evil:

He started probing wires till we got to the left crankcase cover. He said
i have to open it to test the output.

He opens left crankcase cover and starts looking i start looking
and what do i see. A PANCAKE. Yes a pancake made of wires. Unfortunately i don't have pic of it.

What happened is that when the other mechanic let's call him Jamie,
closed the left crankcase cover he wasn't guiding the cable properly
and it got pinched and squeezed-meshed by left crankcase cover and bolt.

Yellow cable is where the problem was. I didn't have the proper electric tape will get it later.

More detailed picture.

I now have 2 images of the actual problem. Which i didn't upload it at first.

Another thing he found i am not sure but if you see the arrow are there sepouse to be 2 pins because i only have one.

You can see where red circle is, but he was saying that i should have
the exact one where the green circle is???? Can anybody confirm this?

Jamie also applied sealant on previous gasket. But this guy is saying
that he doesn't do that and it's not good. The only area he would apply sealant is the area between arrows.

Yamaha gasket. It can fit Zong.

This is how Zong will sleep tonight with the wound covered.

I am also going to change to 16 tooth sprocket. He took the one from Zong to see if he can find the one in the workshop.
I will also contact PBI sprocket to see if they have made one with 16T. It's suppose to be done by now. Will see.

Hey Spud i just remember now. He was also telling me to do left crancase cover modification. It's a small world.

Sweet dreams Zong

Old 04-16-2011, 12:06 PM   #2

Glad to hear that you found the problem. It's really cool that the fellow came to your place to fix your bike. He's a good guy. 8)

How did you / he repair the wire? Did you solder in a new section? If you used connectors or just twisted the wire together, it's not as likely to be a long term fix. I cover all solder sonnections with heat shrink tubing.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-23-2011, 09:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Glad to hear that you found the problem. It's really cool that the fellow came to your place to fix your bike. He's a good guy. Cool
Thank you Weldangrind. If it wasn't for him i would still be scratching my head and looking for different parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
How did you / he repair the wire? Did you solder in a new section? If you used connectors or just twisted the wire together, it's not as likely to be a long term fix. I cover all solder sonnections with heat shrink tubing.
He told me to get black electricians tape. I got that but when i read your message i got heat shrink tube as well. I asked him if anything needs soldering he doesn't think so. He told me we can't use the heat shrink tube without cutting it. Because of the connectors i can't just slide it in. I was thinking to cut (heat shrink tube) it wrap it around cables and then use copper wire and tie it with that. What do you think of that idea. And thank you for telling me about it I appreciate it a lot.

Old 04-24-2011, 11:27 AM   #4

I would simply slide heat shrink over the wires and then solder them together. Once the wires are soldered, slip the heat shrink over the repair area and gently heat it. Wrap the whole deal in tape after that if you wish.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-25-2011, 04:03 AM   #5

Weldangrind thank you for that, that's what i'll do.