Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pit/Pocket Bikes & Scooters
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2011, 01:33 PM   #1

49cc ruckus style moped

Anyone try one of the Ruckus style mopeds?

I am thinking about getting one....just curious if there are any upgrades to make it a little faster....here is what i want one for.

My fiance and i work together and car pool, but we are having a baby in July, I was thinking....I could get one of these or something like it to store in the bed of my truck under my bed cover for days when she has to leave work early and pick up the baby i would have the scooter there...unload it, unfold handbars...and i am ready to cruise home after work.....it's about a 12-15 miles ride to our house....I can go all thru subdidvisions...if i want...30 to 40 mph's

Let me know if you have any ideas...

My concern it i don't know the tallest point of the handle bars or if it would fit beneath my truck bed cover.

I was thinking of one of these...
http://www.killermotorsports.com/Pea...etpgs-824r.htm

http://www.happyscooters.com/50cc-4-...50fg28360.html

http://discountgiftsandmorestore.com/node/3023

Old 04-02-2011, 03:25 PM   #2

I like the look of the Ruckus; very utilitarian.

Sure, you can uncork one; standard four stroke mods apply. Free flowing exhaust, high flow air filter, better coil, racing CDI (jury is still out on the last two). After that, you can mess with the variator and clutch.

There's always big bore kits.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-02-2011, 11:35 PM   #3

Betcha a 125 will fit in there. 8)

Old 04-03-2011, 01:51 AM   #4

Reveeen would be the man for that question. He has the whole short case / long case thing figured out.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-03-2011, 09:43 AM   #5

With the bars folded it will be about 3 feet tall. Stock it will probably do about 35mph depending on rider weight. Modded maybe 45mph.

Would it be possible to leave it at your work?

Old 04-03-2011, 10:24 AM   #6

A "scooter" really doesn't "like" being laid on it's side, especially a 4 stroke one.

If it was my intention to lay something on it's side I would probably choose a 2 cycle, and something I didn't have a lot of money in, and I would know that by laying it over I could potentially flood the engine with fuel, leak battery acid in the bed of my truck, and really make a mess of the paint/trim.

This is why I would look for a pedal type moped, that doesn't have a battery, in the paper, and at yard sales. With some luck I would pay about $100 (or less) for one running. My insurance company would demand about $30 to insure it, the only downside I would see is having to mix gas with oil in a separate 2 gallon gas can I would tie into the truck bed.

*thinking about this*
Probably the best option, for carrying a scooter with your truck, would be a carrier that plugs into a trailer hitch receiver on the back of your truck (like the motorhome guys use). A pedal type moped would be quite happy living on a bicycle rack mounted in the same way, again, like the motorhome guys use. I know the perils of hanging something out the back and letting others drive your truck, but if mounted to a trailer hitch receiver the whole works is easily added/subtracted at the beginning/middle/end of your day.
Easier load/unload (scooters seem to weigh 200+ lbs), and can be a handful for one guy doing it alone.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:49 PM   #7

thanks for the info.