Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pit/Pocket Bikes & Scooters
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2007, 01:07 PM   #1

Is a 50cc (49.5cc) 4 stroke enough to get around on?

My girlfriend has been seriously considering a scooter for her 5 mile daily commute. Looking at something like the Retro50 by Lifan from HooperImports: http://www.hooperimports.com/product..._id=LF50QT%2D7 I like Hooper Imports because they have free shipping to a Forward Air terminal that is located 10 minutes from where I work. I had them ship my GY-5 there and it was a pice of cake. No waiting around at home.

It lists 3HP/2ft-lbs and a top speed of 32mph. You guys think that would be enough to 'skoot' around a 125 lb(don't ever tell her I told you that) girl? We live kind of out in the country in suburbia hell so this would be all 25, 35 and 45mph back roads. But there would be some hills involved. Not big hills. Just enough for me to second guess 50cc's of 4 stroke hauling somebody up one of them. And that doesn't take in to account the possibility of it trying to haul my 200lbs around on occasion.

Looking at the PENNDOT website they classify both mopeds and scooters in the under 50cc category. Mopeds must have pedals, less than 50cc, be under 1.5hp and have a design speed under 25mph. Scooters must be less than 50cc, under 5hp and have a design speed over 25mph. Also found out that she would have to get a motorcycle permit/license for a scooter (not for a moped).

Anyway... Your thoughts on 3 whopping hp would be appreciated. What I envision is having to get a run for a hill, then creeping up the top of the hill at 10mph. Who knows...

Old 04-20-2007, 03:43 PM   #2

Why not? Try it out! I couldn't imagine having too many problems for her, but then again, I don't know how big those hills are...

Ask member 'ACD' as he is our resident scooter expert. He writes and edits for an online magazine called "SkootDog" or something like that.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 04-21-2007, 10:37 PM   #3

Thanks Culcune for the plug it's SCOOTDAWG.COM...LOL. A 50cc scoot is fun no question. There is a lot you can do with it performance wise especially with a 2-stroke. The Lifan is a 4-stroke but still a great scoot I'm sure. That said I am of the opinion that on any road faster than 25 mph a 50cc scoot has no business. If you like the Retro style you can get it in a 150cc. Since you need to get your motorcycle endorsement anyway don't buy less than you need. It's far easier to discover you have more than you need than find out you need more. Get a 150cc. Lifan is good and Hooper seems to take care of "their" customers. Some other online companies I reccommend for scoots include Jim at www.bandit-motorsports.com John at www.scootersus.com (Valley Scooters) and Mike at www.scootertronics.com all three of these guys have proven themselves to be better than average at after the sale service and support. Jim's scoots get the nod for quality but Valley and Scootertronics have a greater selection.

Aaron

2008 Fly-Scooters La Vie
www.scootdawg.proboards59.com

Old 04-22-2007, 08:18 AM   #4

ACD is 100% correct on the 50cc scoot, get the 150cc since they aren't that much more expensive and it will do what you need. Don't under-power yourself from the get go and have to trade it in, sell it outright, to purchase a larger engined scoot.

Bruce
Hours: Tue.-Fri. 10:00-6:00 Sat. 10:00-4:00 EST.
Dealer for: Lifan, Crossrunner ATVs.
http://www.endlessjourneycycles.net

Old 04-22-2007, 09:48 PM   #5

Thanks for the correction, ACD. As EJCycle and ACD pointed out, since you have to get your endorsement anyway, costwise, the bigger the better. 50cc's have their place in states that don't require endorsement such as Florida and Nevada. I think that some places in AZ, too.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 04-23-2007, 08:42 AM   #6

Thanks for the advice guys. Will start looking at 150's.

Also, at the same time, since the prices may start to converge I may just look for a 200 DS that she can fit (5'-0").

Old 05-04-2007, 08:18 AM   #7

My girlfriend had to make a trip early in the week and she has now filled her Forester up with gas twice this week. The "scooter for her" idea had grown cold but appears to have now grown hot again. With a fill-up costing her $40 lets see if I can justify this for her.

She normally spends about $40/week on gas in the Forester and would spend probably no more than $5/week on a bike/scooter. That's a savings of $35. If a bike costs her around $1000, it could pay for itself in 28 weeks or about 3 summers of riding (depending on how many days she leavs the Subaru at home).

Old 05-04-2007, 06:10 PM   #8

Don't forget the fun factor! Can't put a price on that.
Forester oil change...$24
Scooter oil change $2 (less than qt) but every 1000 miles so $6
Car depreciation about $.08 a mile
Scooter depreciation if you pay $1200 for it, as long as it runs and looks decent it's always worth $500 so $700 maximum
Car repair "ouch"
Scooter repair whole new engine less than $400
Insurance for car "Ouch"
Insurance for scoot $75 year average libility only.
Car tires $60-80 each
Scoot tires $18-30 each

Aaron

2008 Fly-Scooters La Vie

Old 05-05-2007, 10:55 PM   #9

My wife has this:

http://www.kymco.com/us/showroom/sco...p?intInfoID=72

It's a 2 stroke. I'm 230lbs and it gets me up to about 42-43mph. She can do about 47-48mph on it. Later this year she's moving up to this:

http://www.kymco.com/us/showroom/sco...p?intInfoID=42

It's a 4 stroke 150cc. I rode it and it got it up to about 60 on a public street before I ran out of street. It will do more.

The 50cc (actually 49.9) doesn't require an endorsement here in CO. So, after she does the MSF, we'll get the 150. Do yourself a favor and go with the 150cc since you'll need the endorsement regardless.

Old 05-05-2007, 10:58 PM   #10

Tank also makes good scooters that are priced just right:

http://www.tank-sports.com/tank-scooters.html

Old 05-07-2007, 01:36 AM   #11

Ya and the only problem there is the same as your bike...they have no parts or not many in stock. They really need to get their parts issues resolved.

Old 05-07-2007, 03:52 PM   #12

Yeah not to start any fights but we're not real fond of Tanks support structure. The scoots can be OK but it's distribution and after the sale support track record is poor. Yes you can get an Ebay Tank scoot for under $1000 sometimes but (and this is a common mantra around here) it's worth a couple hundred more to get the same or better scoot from someone who understands the sale is not the end of the relationship.

Aaron

2008 Fly-Scooters La Vie

Old 05-07-2007, 09:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejcycles
Ya and the only problem there is the same as your bike...they have no parts or not many in stock. They really need to get their parts issues resolved.
Remember, this is a man who dealt in Redcat, and doesn't seem particularly fond in dealing in Tank even after they merged with Redcat; technically he is a Tank dealer, but still not sold on the company. Listen to his words and heed them!

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 05-08-2007, 07:34 AM   #14

Hi All
ACD & Culcune are 100% correct. ACD you won't start any fights with me on what you said.
I'm registered on 4 Yahoo groups, Benelli, LF200GY, JetMoto & United Motors Scooters. I'm also on 2 Web based Forums, ChinaRiders.net & PowerSportsForum.com {PSF, Open Community & Dealer Only} and I'm involved on 2 Dealer Only Forums {Redcat Motors & China Powersports}. Don't bother searching for the last two they won't come up at all.

Yes UnRespectfully I am a Tank Dealer ONLY because Tank Sports bought Redcat Motors. I will stand behind the Redcat ATV products till the end and beyond, if there is an end. The prior owner of Redcat Motors built a product line...a Great one. He sold the business hoping the company that purchased Redcat would improve on the line he built, enough said.

Check my WebSite and see if I advertise Tank Sports at all, at one time I thought about being a Tank Dealer but not now. My site used to say Soon Tank Sports, but not now, enough said.
Get the hint.

Old 02-28-2008, 02:51 PM   #15

I have a question relating to the 50cc scooters.

In GA no tag or insurance is require on a 50cc or less scooter.

I am not sure if there is a max allowed speed, but is it possible to bolt on a 100-150cc engine to allow for about 50-55mph speeds. I am wondering if some of the pit bike parts may work.

I would need to upgrade brakes, but this would allow me to commute on it. Any slower than 50 and I will be run off the road.

Allen