Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Riding > Ride Reports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2010, 04:07 PM   #1

Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Parks, 2010

The late September weather was beautiful, so I decided to ride my Zong east to Wyoming, and visit two national parks. Instead of riding the pavement eastward, I decided to take a more direct, scenic route. Riding the gravel roads across the Fort Hall Indian Reservation, I enjoyed the opportunity of visiting the Blackfoot Reservoir. Heading eastward from Fort Hall, I left behind the familiar mountains of the Portneuf Valley.

Riding farther, I soon reached the Blackfoot River, flowing westward from the reservoir.

Continuing my ride along the Blackfoot River, I spotted a favorite overlook sitting on the northern horizon. I paused to stretch my legs, and took a photograph of the rock outcropping.

Here’s a photograph I took on an earlier ride. My good friend, Andy, is resting on the rock outcropping shown above, enjoying the panorama of the Blackfoot River to the south.

Admiring the wide-open range to the east, I took another photograph before I resumed my journey.

Getting closer to the reservoir, I detoured to visit a favorite spot overlooking the canyon of the Blackfoot River.

Riding a few miles farther east, I reached the northern end of the Blackfoot Reservoir. I paused to enjoy the view, and stretch my legs.

Reaching a fork in the gravel road, I headed southward, along the eastern edge of the lake.

Stopping at another favorite spot, I captured a few more photographs.

Enjoying the beautiful weather, I paused frequently to admire the views.

With lots of daylight remaining, I continued riding along the eastern arm of the reservoir.

Nearing the pavement north of Henry, Idaho, I snapped a few more photographs before I departed the lake.

Riding the asphalt eastward, I crossed the Wyoming border at Freedom, Idaho. Reaching the junction with U.S. Route 89, I would encounter higher speed limits and heavier traffic as I rode to Jackson.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 11-28-2010, 07:25 PM   #2

Re: Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Parks, 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
All of your photos are amazing Spud, but this is my favourite. That trail is calling to me.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-28-2010, 07:58 PM   #3

I'm telling you Spud, you should lead Dual Sport tours. I know I for one would love to go on one of your adventures.

Old 11-28-2010, 08:29 PM   #4

Re: Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Parks, 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
All of your photos are amazing Spud, but this is my favourite. That trail is calling to me.
Thank you, W&G. Indeed, that viewpoint is one of my favorites, and the ride along that road is truly beautiful.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 11-28-2010, 08:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
I'm telling you Spud, you should lead Dual Sport tours. I know I for one would love to go on one of your adventures.
Thank you, Doc. I need to enlist you as my tour promoter!

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 11-28-2010, 10:03 PM   #6

I had originally planned to camp, but the overnight low temperatures were close to freezing, and many of the campgrounds in both national parks were closed for the season. Arriving in Jackson well before sunset, I found a relatively inexpensive motel; at least the rates were inexpensive by Jackson standards. After a good, warm night’s sleep, I ate breakfast, and decided to visit Yellowstone National Park.

Riding north along U.S. Route 89, I headed for the southern entrance to Yellowstone. The Grand Teton Range rose to fill the western horizon.

Grand Teton Peak rises to 13,770 feet, approximately 7,000 feet higher than Jackson Lake. The glacier-laden mountains rise suddenly, without any foothills, having been thrust upward by a fault in the Earth’s crust.

Passing through the entrance gate to Grand Teton National Park, I headed back toward Mount Moran (12,523 feet above sea level), on the northern end of the Grand Teton Range. The fall foliage was spectacular.

Before reaching Jackson Lake, I paused near the headwaters of the Snake River, the lifeblood of southern Idaho.

Reaching Jackson Lake, I rode northward to Yellowstone National Park.

Passing Lewis Lake, and Yellowstone Lake, I crossed the Continental Divide several times as I headed for Yellowstone’s Upper Geyser Basin.

Reaching the Upper Geyser Basin, I took a brief rest while waiting for Old Faithful Geyser to erupt.

The Upper Geyser Basin is populated with numerous geysers, and other geothermal activity. I paused to take a photograph of the steaming, Firehole River as it flowed northward.

Riding eastward toward the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone River, I passed a bison napping in the prairie; I was careful not to disturb him.

Another bison was grazing much nearer to the road; keeping a respectful distance, I took his photograph.

Arriving at the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone River, I parked my Zong and hiked to the viewpoint overlooking the Lower Falls of the Yellowstone River. The river, and the national park, both get their names from the yellow stone lining the walls of the canyon.

Reaching Artist Point, I paused to enjoy the view of the Lower Falls, which drop 308 feet to the canyon below.

Here’s a closeup photo of the Lower Falls of the Yellowstone River.

Looking across the canyon, and downstream, I paused to admire the beautiful pink and yellow stone in the walls of the canyon.

Leaving Artist Point, I rode back upstream, and stopped to appreciate the view of the Upper Falls of the Yellowstone River.

Leaving the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone River behind, I paused to photograph the Yellowstone River upstream, before it enters the canyon.

The afternoon shadows were beginning to lengthen across the prairie of the Yellowstone River as I continued to ride southward, returning to Jackson.

Riding upstream to Yellowstone Lake, I stopped to take a photograph of Turbulent Pool, one of the many hotsprings populating this national park. The smell of sulfur is commonplace in the park, where the earth’s crust is only two miles thick.

http://dsc.discovery.com/guides/nati...l-park-03.html

Reaching the shores of Yellowstone Lake, I was grateful to have a 4.1-gallon fuel tank. I still had a long ride back to Jackson, Wyoming, where I planned to spend the evening.

I had ridden about 200 miles this day, and arrived back in Jackson after sunset. After enjoying a late supper, I retired for the evening, planning to get a closer look at Grand Teton National Park the following day.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 11-28-2010, 10:20 PM   #7

I think I have the same shot around here somewhere. Is that area called Little Grand Canyon?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-28-2010, 10:26 PM   #8

Great photos Spud

Old 11-28-2010, 10:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
I think I have the same shot around here somewhere. Is that area called Little Grand Canyon?
I don't think so, but I could be wrong. Incidentally, the Lower Falls of the Yellowstone River are approximately twice as high as Niagara Falls; however, the Lower Falls of the Yellowstone River can't match the enormous volume of water flowing over Niagara Falls, which drains 4 of the 5 Great Lakes! 8O

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 11-28-2010, 10:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
Great photos Spud
Thank you, Jim. The scenery in these national parks is majestic, and humbling. I don't live far away from these national parks, but I don't visit them as often as I should. I hope to take either my Zong, or my XR650L on a longer camping trip to these parks next summer. I've visited all the easily reached, major attractions of these parks several times; however, I now wish to go hiking, and to explore the less visited regions of these national treasures.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 11-29-2010, 10:01 PM   #11

After a good night’s rest, and a good breakfast, I rode north from Jackson to take a closer look at the Grand Teton Range. Entering the park from the south entrance, I rode along the east flank of the Teton Range past Jenny Lake, toward Signal Mountain.

Ascending Signal Mountain, I paused to enjoy the view of the valley to the east. The next photograph shows the Snake River winding its way eastward from Jackson Lake.

Descending Signal Mountain, I stopped to snap a photograph of my Zong in front of Grand Teton Peak.

Lower on the mountain, I paused to admire the elevated view of Mount Moran, and Jackson Lake.

Riding north to Jackson Lake, I stopped once again to appreciate the view of Mount Moran reflected in the lake’s waters.

Stopping upon the dam where the Snake River exits Jackson Lake, I rested and admired the view of the Grand Tetons rising in the west.

Riding to the east, I stopped once again to enjoy the beautiful fall foliage displaying itself along the Snake River.

Turning back, and riding westward, I stopped at Oxbow Bend, and took some final photographs of the Snake River.

Retracing my ride southward, I took a detour to Jenny Lake, and snapped this photograph of my Zong in front of Mount Saint John (11,430 feet).

Riding southward the length of the Grand Tetons, I arrived back in Jackson. After eating lunch, I rode eastward, and retraced my path back to Idaho.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 12-12-2010, 09:44 PM   #12

That's awesome Spud.

What front tire do you have? Does it hook up ok on the gravel roads? My bike has a Dunlop 606 on the back and Bridgestone Trailwing on the front. The Bridgestone washes out real quick on gravel roads. I'm in the need for new tires and like the aggresive dunlop on the back but don't really want to put such a aggresive tire on the front.

Old 12-12-2010, 10:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lego1970
That's awesome Spud.

What front tire do you have? Does it hook up ok on the gravel roads? My bike has a Dunlop 606 on the back and Bridgestone Trailwing on the front. The Bridgestone washes out real quick on gravel roads. I'm in the need for new tires and like the aggresive dunlop on the back but don't really want to put such a aggresive tire on the front.
Thank you, Lego. I'm using a size 2.75-21, Cheng Shin, C858 front tire on my Zong. I bought three of these tires for $23 each, and they do a great job on gravel roads. Indeed, this C858 front tire has performed very well for me on all surfaces, paved or otherwise; this tire even does a decent job in deep mud. I am very pleased with the performance of this tire on my Zong's front wheel, and I am strongly considering using this same tire, in size 3.00-21, on the front wheel of my Honda XR650L.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 12-12-2010, 11:38 PM   #14

Thanks,
I'll have to look into those. You ride a lot more then I do, so I appreciate your feedback.

Old 12-19-2010, 10:11 PM   #15

nice pics!