Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2010, 06:23 PM   #1

2009 Rebel T1 mikuni install problems

Hi all, I have just installed a new mikuni carb and now the bike will not start
I thought it was pre-ajusted (or near). Can anyone share how to adjust or at least a base so it will start?

Thanks in advance,

Old 08-28-2010, 06:58 PM   #2

Ok, since there is no fuel shut off inline i must ask if you put fuel back in the tank after the carb change?, if so then open the drain screw on the bottom of the fuel bowl to verify fuel is filling the fuel bowl, close the air/fuel screw all the way and then back out 2 turns ( that's the screw on the bottom of the carb closest to the engine intake tube ), than apply full choke and it should start, also screw in the idle screw a few turns, it may be too low.

Old 08-28-2010, 08:33 PM   #3

Thanks but still no luck

There is gas in the tank
When I unscrew the bowl screw, gas comes out
I have srewed in the screw closed to the intake tube and then backed up 2 full turn.
I have put in a new spark plug to make sure
the idle screw, I screwed it in all the way and backed up 2.

full choke no start, no choke no start

should I do 2 * 1/2 turns instead of full turns?

Thanks for your help!

Old 08-28-2010, 09:25 PM   #4

Well the next thing i would do is, with the air filter removed, i would put my hand over the carb and turn it over if your hand doesn't get wet with gas then you probably have a plugged pilot jet, now before you get to the next step are you 100% sure that you have spark?, if so then i'd pull the fuel bowl off and remove and clean the pilot and main jets. One other thing to check is that the c-clip hasn't come off the jet needle and is stuck in the needle jet, unscrewing the top off and pulling the slide out will tell you if it's ok, if the jet needle is still attached to the slide then your ok.

Old 08-28-2010, 09:33 PM   #5

I have spark and have a upgraded CDI.
I will tray again tomorrow.
Thanks for your help

Old 08-28-2010, 10:35 PM   #6

going back to stage 1

just to make sure you did not do something wrong... reverse everything and see if it still starts... if so... do one thing at a time.. youhave changed alot and you do not know what is the problem.. this is the easiest way..

Old 08-28-2010, 10:55 PM   #7

like flashlightboy said, its always best to do one install at a time when it comes to motor related stuff. i mean for all you know the cdi is defective. you could be getting spark when you have the plug pulled from the head and you can see the spark. but it might not be strong enough to ignite the mixture when its under pressure.. try pulling the cdi and putting the stocker back on.. also with the idle screw turn 2 full turns out, when it does start its going to be running a fairly high idle.. id back it off to 2 3/4 turns out... also try screwing the fuel screw in to only 1 turn out from fully closed.. it could be that you are running extremely rich thus not enoguh air to cause ignition..

Old 08-29-2010, 01:31 AM   #8

Is that stupid boot on properly at the back? Easy to knock it around when doing upgrades. It's got all of us numerous times.

Otherwise I have nothing to add that hasn't already been said. You'll get it with patience.

Old 08-29-2010, 01:36 AM   #9

remove the dead man switch, my friend ordered her gf's son a off brand 90cc atv for his first one. they used the dead man switch untill he did fall off the back.. the plug got tangled up in the frame after poping off the switch and used him as an achor..

Old 08-29-2010, 07:17 AM   #10

Thanks fro the suggestions I will try again in a couple hours, Note that the CDI was installed months ago, the only thing changed this weekend is the carb and spark plug.

Old 08-29-2010, 09:28 AM   #11

Update

Gents,

I put my hand where the filter was and got gas on my hand, gas in boal also, so I have Gas and I had spark.

I removed the Mikuni and put back the old carb, it started right up...

settings on mikuni were, air/mix screw, close to intake tube was at 2 full turn out, and the idle was out 1 1/2.

idea's??

Old 08-29-2010, 09:35 AM   #12

Are you giving it any throttle when trying to start it?, if it works fine with the old carb then i'd clean the jets on the mikuni and make sure the slide is in the right place compared to the stocker.

Old 08-29-2010, 12:24 PM   #13

Agreed. A quick blast with some aerosol carb cleaner through the pilot and main jets will hopefully clear an obstruction.

With it apart that far, you could also remove the pilot and main jets and confirm that there's no casting flash.

There are some photos here that might help: http://www.chinariders.net/modules.p...r=asc&start=45

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-29-2010, 05:58 PM   #14

Re: Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackmaxrebel
Gents,

I put my hand where the filter was and got gas on my hand, gas in boal also, so I have Gas and I had spark.

settings on mikuni were, air/mix screw, close to intake tube was at 2 full turn out, and the idle was out 1 1/2.

idea's??
Not sure how i missed this last night, but i see it's a T1 your working on, not the larger GIO carb i had in mind, still what i told you last night is pretty much standard with all mikuni carbs, i would say you should start at 1 turn out on the A/F screw, sounds like it may be too rich as it won't start with or without choke yet when you put your hand in front it gets wet with gas.

Old 08-29-2010, 06:06 PM   #15

Re: Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynev
Quote:
Originally Posted by zackmaxrebel
Gents,

idea's??
Not sure how i missed this last night, but i see it's a T1 your working on, not the larger GIO carb i had in mind, still what i told you last night is pretty much standard with all mikuni carbs, i would say you should start at 1 turn out on the A/F screw, sounds like it may be too rich as it won't start with or without choke yet when you put your hand in front it gets wet with gas.
+1

sounds like it is way way to rich, id still check your jets to make sure they are clean and clear you should be able to see light through them.