Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2010, 09:22 AM   #1

Handi Hauler

A fellow on the KLR forums used one of these to transport his newly purchased KLR 4 hours home on the freeway. I would be a little nervous about using one and would prefer a trailer but I thought it was a cool concept. He said the only unsettling part is that the bike leans a lot when turning sharply... I'm guessing it's due to the give and take on the straps since the wheel is solidly tied to the carrier. He transported a Vulcan 750 1500 miles the same way... Wow!
http://www.hhauler.com/index.html
Here is a pic of his bike on the hauler hooked up to his van.

Cheers!
Stew

Old 08-09-2010, 12:13 PM   #2

I had similar nervous thoughts when I watched The World's Fastest Indian, but it seems reasonable if done properly.

The issue that I see is that the rake is dramatically increased with the front wheel up like that, meaning that the steering won't be as willing to turn. That would explain the leaning he reported. I guess you'd need to take wide turns where possible.

If you could make the wheel platform adjustable, you could lower it to a safe distance from the ground and the bike would likely steer better in the turns. Another thought would be to hinge the front wheel mount so that it swivels like a trailer ball.

Don't know. I'm no engineer, just a goofball with a welder.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-09-2010, 01:15 PM   #3

Do you think you could weld one up cheaper? Looks like a simple 'cloneable' design....

Old 08-09-2010, 01:35 PM   #4

If you had a welder I don't imagine that you would need more than $20 or $30 worth of material to make one... Just a few feet of 2" square tube and some angle iron. Piece 'O cake as they say! Here is another slightly more elaborate version of the same design... This one has it's own ramp and tie down bars. Dude looks sorta nervous trying to get the straps on though!

Old 08-09-2010, 01:40 PM   #5

That one looks like a much better design. It has a pivot in the middle. Still not so sure I would use one for a long distance.

Allen

Old 08-09-2010, 03:17 PM   #6

I saw that pivot as well Allen. He ties the bars to the rear subframe of the bike to prevent the steering neck from turning, and he likely pulled a pin that allowed the towing device to turn left and right. It wouldn't be hard to include some steering stops to prevent the bike from going past the point of no return.

In BC, you must have insurance on the towed vehicle if the rear wheel(s) is / are on the ground. You would also require lights on a contraption like that (not hard to do, but required). If you tow a bike with both wheels on a trailer (or a hitch hauler), the towing vehicle insurance covers the bike (as I understand it).

Yeah, I could make one.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-09-2010, 03:32 PM   #7

Most of the bikes I have hauled would not be sound enough to tow like that.

Anyway I still would rather put the wear on the trailer tires and not the soft rubber motorcycle tire.

Allen

Old 08-09-2010, 03:55 PM   #8

W&G:

Any idea what the materials would cost? If it's cheap enough I may have my buddy make one for me.

Old 08-09-2010, 05:22 PM   #9

here is one thats even cheaper!! :wink:

I think i will stick with a pick up for now.

Old 08-09-2010, 05:54 PM   #10

Nesscisity is the mother of invention. :?

I like the Handi Hauler b/c my truck has a cover on the bed and I dont want to have to remove it.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:31 PM   #11

cool idea but if i had a dirtbike, i would want one of the ones that the bike sits the same way as the bumper.. i cant spell today.. you see the hitch crates that people haul ice chests with.. they have that kind that is longer for a bike.. so thats what i would go with..

that thing just looks like a law suit waiting to happen

Old 08-10-2010, 12:19 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
Do you think you could weld one up cheaper? Looks like a simple 'cloneable' design....
My good friend Andy designed, and fabricated a similar device many years ago. It is inexpensive, and easy to make. He says his device works very well.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 08-10-2010, 10:51 AM   #13

Quote:
W&G:

Any idea what the materials would cost? If it's cheap enough I may have my buddy make one for me.
Doc, it seems that every time I build something like this, I use as much free scrap as possible. I don't think I've ever bought 100% of the steel needed for anything. That said, my guess is < $100.00.

The cost will depend upon what type of swivel you use. I'd consider a bearing with a zerk in the housing, since it'll get wet. You could just use DOM tubing for a bushing and keep greasing it, but a replaceable bearing would be more long term (yet reasonably priced).

I would lean towards making it vehicle specific, meaning that I would optimize it for your Ranger, taking steering and length into account. It also wouldn't hurt to include a few degrees of rake into it to help the device steer around corners. It would also be helpful to include a simple pin that locks the device for loading / unloading.

X2 on mizke's hitch hauler comment, because they're not vehicle specific and no part of the bike rides on the road. I was going to build one to haul a bike back to Edmonton, but I ran out of time. My good friend made one for me and surprised me with it just in time for my trip. He's a good guy. The only cost for that was the length of 2" square tube that slides into the receiver; the rest was made from free scrap, including an old steel bed frame.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:11 AM   #14

I grab all the bed frames I can find.

Allen

Old 08-10-2010, 11:33 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
Quote:
My good friend Andy designed, and fabricated a similar device many years ago. It is inexpensive, and easy to make. He says his device works very well.

Spud
Spud.

When you get a chance could you trouble Brother Andy for measurements and maybe a sketch?

W&G, I don't see a swivel in the design. :?: