Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pit/Pocket Bikes & Scooters
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2010, 10:41 AM   #1

Gio 125cc performance stator installed successfully

Hey folks,

I've had a previous post on this and was requested to do an updated post with my results. It's important to state that I've never done anything like this before and consider myself mechanically challenged. I'm just a dad trying to fix up his son's dirt bike.

What led to this update was a rear wheel bearing let go and the chain flew off and wrapped itself into the chain guard area. Once the chain guard was removed, and several metal bits, I discovered the piece next to a large brass cylinder was broke. Upon some investigation I learned this was called a stator.

I immediately went to the Gio site to purchase a new stator and chain guard only to discover that the stator was not in stock. Looking at the auctions, I saw there was a 125cc stator performance upgrade ... whatever makes it run I figure. I bid on the auction and at 1:45am I won it for $20. I packaged the order with the chain guard and in 2 days it was at my door step.

I had an issue with getting the old bolts out for the original stator (I posted on this forum) and ended up using an "easy out" to remove the bolts (drill into the bolt and spin an "easy out" into it). Sounds like from the posting there are other tools that can be used.

Installing the stator was simple and fit perfectly onto the engine. Just a heads up, oil leaks out when you remove the old stator. Once I had the new stator installed, I drained the rest of the oil and re-filled with clean oil.

WARNING UPDATE:
Be sure to secure the nut that holds the fly wheel. I'm updating this post because three days after the change the nut loosened enough for the fly wheel to shift off the shaft key causing the timing to fail. Hold the kick on one side of the bike while the nut is being tightened.

Now, what to do with all these wires? I used the old rubber CDI holder on the new red CDI that came with the stator to hold it under the seat. There are 5 wires to deal with on the new red CDI.

The first two are obvious .. black on the stator goes to red on the CDI and white on the stator goes to white on the CDI. Note the red on the CDI has room for two wires .. the second wire is the striped wire from the kill switch. I cut a wire from the old stator and clipped it with the kill switch wire so that I could cleanly insert to the CDI red double connector. I connected the CDI green ground connector to the black wire from the kill switch.

The last two CDI wires go to the coil. The green "connecting high pressure bag end" wire on the CDI connects to the green on the coil. The yellow "connecting high pressure" wire on the CDI connects to the striped wire on the coil.

I then stuck on the gas tank, kicked started a few times and away it went. The only other change I need to do is pick up the idle as it won't keep running at a low idle. Anyways, sorry for the long post, but this is my story. I knew nothing about this a few days ago and now I have the bike back in action. The wiring looks daunting at first glance, but in the end there wasn't much to it.

Good luck to anyone else upgrading their stator.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:15 AM   #2

That air filter dont look happy in the pics.

Glad you got it running! Sure your son is also.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:19 AM   #3

Excellent tutorial, thanks! Don't apologize for a detailed post like that, especially when you include photos.

Did the new stator come with an o-ring, or did you have to re-use the old one?

I recommend that you try to seal the blue connectors you've added. You could wrap them in rubber tape (a bit pricey) or you could cut them back out, slide heat shrink on the wires, install a new connector and slide the heat shrink back over top. Heat shrink tubing will generally shrink to 1/2 of the original diameter, and it's cheap at Princess Auto.

Now that the stator is under control and you're tackling the wheel bearings, I recommend that you examine the shock bushings and swingarm bushings. With the rear wheel off of the bike and the frame supported, see if there is any lateral play in the swingarm. If there is, it is usually from both sources. You can tighten the swingarm bolt a bit to compensate for awhile, but eventually the bushings should be swapped.

I popped out one of my son's 125 pit bike bushings and found a replacement at the local Honda dealer for peanuts. Rather than trying to match up the shock bushings, I bought a better shock from Gio that was a bit taller and a bit softer.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-30-2010, 12:41 PM   #4

The new stator came with an o-ring so that it seals properly. Note that it does not come with the nut to hold on the inner fly wheel, so be sure not to throw out the old parts.

Point taken about the connections. I have some shrink wrap already and will buy some proper soldered connectors today. I realized today that the wires need to go through the seat support, not around it. So I'll have to redo the connections anyways.

Funny you mention the air filter, it's always looked rough. I've thoroughly cleaned it and the bike always starts first kick, but now that I'm on a roll I may broaden the fix up.

Thanks for the heads up on the rear bushing. Once I get this cleaned up more I'll check this as well.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:21 PM   #5

Thanks for the update!
How does it run with the new stator on there?
Your airfilter looks like it needs a bit of oil. you can buy K&N filter cleaner and oil kits for them or if you're cheap like me a little chainsaw bar oil or something along those lines will work.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:39 PM   #6

I'd also like to know how it runs for you.

For any washable air filter, I use Maxima filter spray. It comes out blue (so it's easy to see) and it sticks like cobwebs; just be sure to not use too much.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-30-2010, 09:01 PM   #7

Now that both rear wheel bearings have now been replaced (the cause of all the problems in the first place), the bike is working great. My son took it out tonight and said it is more responsive than before, and a little quicker.

I had to turn up the idle a bit or else it would stall. I'm very happy with our Gio 125cc and gladly recommend it to anyone I speak to. My son just turned 14 and the bike is starting to get a bit small, so he's looking forward to the next Gio he buys next year.

As for the filter, these are great ideas. When holding it up, I can see daylight through it, so I just need to spruce it up a bit. I have a gallon of chainsaw bar oil in the shed, so I'll give that a go.

As I said at the start of this thread, I'm not mechanically inclined. Hopefully this will give others the confidence to tackle this upgrade some day. I can't tell you how shocked I was when I fired up the bike last night with all the wires hanging out. It was a beautiful sound!

Old 07-30-2010, 10:03 PM   #8

14 and outgrowing it!
I'm 27, 5'6" and almost 195lbs and my 125cc gio is my favorite bike to ride around on.
I also have a gio 250cc and a mini hummer110cc.
If hes looking for more power out of it there are lots of upgrades that can be done.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:15 PM   #9

My son is 14, about 5'10" and growing. He's totally happy with the power, it's the frame size that's getting a bit small. I was disappointed to read that the Gio 140cc has a slightly lower seat than the 125cc, which doesn't make any sense to me.

Gio needs a 175/200 size bike to fill in the 125cc to 250cc gap. To me, the 140cc just isn't a big enough step up from the 125cc and the 250cc may be too much.

Anyways, this isn't a discussion for this thread. I may raise this in the other MX/Dirt Bike forum. Maybe there's another brand out there I can look into.

Old 07-31-2010, 12:00 AM   #10

Lol that's a tall kid! But I'm a short guy:P

I have the x31 with the smaller 19" wheels and it's a few inches taller than the 125cc and a lot more comfortable/easy to ride than the 125cc

When I teach my friends to ride my bikes they learn how to ride the 250 first before I will let them on my 125.

Your son should have no problems with the 250.

Old 08-01-2010, 12:05 AM   #11

Agreed. When my son turned 15, he hit the 6'1" mark (and counting), and he's been riding my XR250R since he was 5'10". As long as he can comfortably put his feet down, your son can likely handle a 250.