Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2010, 11:42 PM   #1

Observations from an Old Noob

In one of my first posts I mentioned that I hadn't ridden for 30 years and felt like a noob on the bike. I'm happy to say that the moves are coming back and getting smoother. The more I ride the Hi Bird, the better I like it, though a 46 tooth cog, er... sprocket, is in my future.(sorry, bicycle speak snuck in there)

I don't recall much about my days with my CB500, other than I was new dad with a ton of new responsibilities and I had more on my mind than riding. I do, however, have great memories of my CS90 when Nixon was president and this is where I base my observations and comparisons.

First off, today's helmets are much nicer. More comfortable and the full face ones are well sealed and vented. Back in the day, an open face with bubble shield was as good as it got. And it wasn't any good when a bumblety bee managed to get between your shield and your face. Probably still happen with today's full face, but not as likely.

Fewer trucks hauling hot mix asphalt today, or at least the loads are covered. Riding with an unbuttoned shirt in the seventies and having an uncovered hot mix truck go by the other way was usually hot, sticky, and painful.

I think the fuel tank on the CS90 was similar in size, but I got change back from my buck when I filled it.

The CS90 didn't have electric start. It didn't have a kickstart either, cuz it broke off. But I lived on a slope and could push start it. If it didn't start, which happened, it was light enough to push back up the driveway. I live at the top of a 13% grade today. I won't chance having to push a bike that doesn't start back up the hill.

Points and condenser. No brainer. Although fun to fiddle with, during a downpour I'd rather 'plug and play' than 'gap and regap' plus lose small screws in the gravel. Can't tie wrap points in place.

Brakes have improved greatly. The drums on the CS90 did a decent job of pulling her down, but can't compare to today's disc/disc set up. The wheels were really heavy, too.

This I remember about the CB500, the front brake rotor was undrilled steel and had a scary tendency to be slow to grab in the rain. I had a few scares when the rear wheel would lock up before the front would even start to slow down. :(

I imagine one thing hasn't changed, though. A June Bug in throat at 60mph will feel the same today as it did back in 1970.

cheesy

Old 07-19-2010, 12:10 AM   #2

I'm glad you are back in the saddle, Cheesy! I am also very glad you decided to join us here, at China Riders.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 07-19-2010, 12:43 AM   #3

LOL, Yes bugs suck...Took what I think was a beetle to the face a few weeks ago.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:50 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ200cc
LOL, Yes bugs suck...Took what I think was a beetle to the face a few weeks ago.
Stinging insects are the worst! :( I wear a 3/4 coverage helmet, with a full face shield. Several days ago, as I was riding, a stinging insect lodged itself in my chin strap! 8O It bit me several times before I could stop on the side of the road, and rip off my helmet! :evil: I now have a thick lump on my neck the size of a silver dollar! Fortunately, the swelling is finally starting to subside.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 07-20-2010, 08:24 PM   #5

Take my helmet off after getting home from work yesterday, park the bike in the garage, and walk in the house. Say hi to Mrs. Cheesy. She gives me a startled stare and screams "On your neck, on your neck", and promptly smacks me across the face with a wet dish towel. Turns out a Spruce Bug or one of its relations hitched a ride and decided to end its ride in Mrs. Cheesys' kitchen.

That wasn't all that ended for it.

Slightly OT: Mrs. Cheesy tends to overreact in the unexpected presence of wildlife. You should have seen the look on Mrs. Cheesys face when she pulled what she thought was a wad of lint from the washer and it turned out to be a drowned mouse.

I laughed heartily.

The bruises barely show anymore.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesy
Take my helmet off after getting home from work yesterday, park the bike in the garage, and walk in the house. Say hi to Mrs. Cheesy. She gives me a startled stare and screams "On your neck, on your neck", and promptly smacks me across the face with a wet dish towel. Turns out a Spruce Bug or one of its relations hitched a ride and decided to end its ride in Mrs. Cheesys' kitchen.

That wasn't all that ended for it.

Slightly OT: Mrs. Cheesy tends to overreact in the unexpected presence of wildlife. You should have seen the look on Mrs. Cheesys face when she pulled what she thought was a wad of lint from the washer and it turned out to be a drowned mouse.

I laughed heartily.

The bruises barely show anymore.
Lol! Good one! Best to laugh in private... Much safer!

Old 07-23-2010, 07:43 AM   #7

Confucius says: A wasp in the face at 25 MPH is way worse than a wasp in the face at 40 MPH.

Wifey cracked up when she read about the lint ball lol - classic.

Daddy 8)

Old 07-23-2010, 01:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddy469
Confucius says: A wasp in the face at 25 MPH is way worse than a wasp in the face at 40 MPH...
Confucius was correct about many things. The sting location on my neck swelled up to the size of a silver dollar, about 3/8-inch thick! The swelling remained for about 72 hours, before my body carried the poison away. :( I repeat, I hate stinging insects! :evil:

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 07-24-2010, 06:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
I hate stinging insects! :evil:

Spud
You and me both, Spud. I can bomb downhill at 100km on a bicycle and not give it a thought (much) but a wasp flying around my head is one of the few things that can turn me into a screaming little girl. :oops:

Back in the mid-eighties, I was racing(bicycle) in my 2nd WISILL 24 Hr TT Challenge, hoping to break 300 miles in a day. The day was hot so I decided to ride with my skinsuit unzipped to my waist(I didn't have much of one then). About a half hour into the race, I felt something crawling on my chest so I swatted at it and it fell into my open skinsuit and the sucker nailed me about three times. Man, did that hurt.
When I limped into the start/finish checkpoint, my crew(Mrs. C and the two Curdettes) had to help me off my bike. We peeled back my suit and I had three welts to the left of my navel and a triangle shaped rash that spread from the welts, across my left side, to my spine. Against medical advice, I continued to race. I couldn't bend at my waist to reach the drops so I did the entire race sitting upright. Although I wasn't pleased with the results, I still managed 258 miles in 24 hours.

Apparently, I was quite stupid in those days.

Old 07-25-2010, 12:48 AM   #10

Oh we all still have the stupid in us, We are just to slow at reacting to it

Old 07-25-2010, 01:49 AM   #11

Pretty hardcore Cheesy! You must be in awesome shape!

Old 07-25-2010, 05:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
Pretty hardcore Cheesy! You must be in awesome shape!
Change 'must be' to 'WERE' as in You WERE in awesome shape.

Now, it's like the line in one of my favorite blues songs, "What I used to do all night, now takes me all night to do". :wink:

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts