Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2010, 07:40 PM   #1

Gun control in Canada

I live in Wisconsin, and I am in agreement with our Constitutional right to bear arms. I would like to know some honest opinions of you guys in Canada. You won't hurt my feelings, but I would love your perspective on the American laws and the Canadian Laws.

Old 03-08-2010, 08:09 PM   #2

I don't know of any of the laws regarding guns here, and the only time I've seen a real gun (not a pellet gun) was in Las Vegas.

Edit: Correction, I've seen real guns on our police (hand guns and machine guns) as well as in military situations, and in Mexico. In a typical ever day situation though I don't see any.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:02 PM   #3

I guess my question is, why do you need them?

Old 03-09-2010, 08:07 AM   #4

I live in a rural area, and see guns all the time. Practically everybody I know owns one, but they're all for hunting, or livestock protection. Your laws make me laugh sometime. Nobody has a problem with kids having/shooting guns, but if somebody says f**k, or shows their t*t on TV, everybody flips out.

Old 03-09-2010, 12:39 PM   #5

I live in a semi rural area also and we see the odd shotgun or rifle for animal protection and hunting.

one of the odd things we have in canada is "bullet control" .The goverment does this inadvertently....shit I pay 35$ for 20 rounds of 303 or 308 hunting rounds.I know one of you is a reloader and going to luagh at me.....Also it is law that using a replica weapon in a offence is a crime under the CCC so we need even be carefull with our milsim paintball guns!!!.They got us so beat we just find it normal.

my BC core course was 150$
the PAL ( federal licence) is 140
mail in BC core 30$
mail in PAL certs from 140$$ course 50-100$

The costs can be just stupid just so you can use the darn guns too.

Honeslty the last time I ever handled realy cool firearms was in Reno years ago.

Old 03-10-2010, 12:09 AM   #6

Thanks for the input. Guns cause a great deal of problems, but I take the side that if criminals can have them, so don't take them away from law abiding stable people. As you all know this is a constant topic in the USA. I was wondering what you all thought.

And to answer why we or anyone needs them, someone has to be able to stop these nuts out here who we cant seem to keep them away from.

Old 03-10-2010, 12:57 AM   #7

I hunt regularly, I have my PAL and CORE. I don't see any problems with guns in the hands of a responsible person. It's the few morons out there that ruin it for everyone else.

Old 03-10-2010, 01:35 AM   #8

Quote:
I don't see any problems with guns in the hands of a responsible person.
The problem is even responsible people do irresponsible things when tempers and emotions flare up.

I have no desire to own or fire a gun.

On the flip side, had someone on that greyhound in Manitoba had a gun (or any kind of weapon) maybe they could have stopped that nut.

Old 03-10-2010, 02:36 AM   #9

Well not to offend anyone but I find it very, very odd that we allow anyone to own the instrument of evil that is the gun. It's sole purpose in it's design is to maim and kill. We keep coming up with new and improved ways to make the bullet travel farther, hit harder, rip up living creatures insides so they don't survive getting hit by one bullet, it's very sick and twisted to me.

It's just my opinion, that any ownership of a gun is not necessary, or needed. We regulate and try to 'control' them, when that money in red tape would be far better served to lock up anyone carrying or possesing one. That way, the 'honest joe' wouldn't need to feel he needs one to 'protect himself' from the other gun toters. Guns might not be as prolific, as the makers of the guns would no longer be able to sell them legally, so their profits would be way down and production would be hard to maintain.

I don't need to hunt to feed my family, and nobody really does anymore. As a human race, we've done away with the need to 'hunt' .. and quite frankly if we all wanted to go hunt, we'd all run out of food fast. Hunting, as an act, is killing something. Shooting that gun to KILL something when we do enough killing of ourselves and other things in this world where this is just more unnecessary killing.

A good case in point is something that just happened in rural Ontario. An honest, well respected community man, from the media reports who interviewed his 'friends' just blew away a police officer and young father of three who pulled him over in his truck stemming from a domestic dispute with his estranged wife. As Jim says, here is a fellow who was a law abiding citizen, registered gun owner, who snapped emotinally and took the life of someone else, with his gun.

Anyways, I know this is a hot button issue, and I respect the thoughts of others but it's just the way I, as one person, see things. I think the world would be a much better place without those rotten things.

Old 03-10-2010, 02:56 AM   #10

I pretty much have to agree with you 100%.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:35 AM   #11

Quote:
I don't need to hunt to feed my family, and nobody really does anymore. As a human race, we've done away with the need to 'hunt' .. and quite frankly if we all wanted to go hunt, we'd all run out of food fast. Hunting, as an act, is killing something. Shooting that gun to KILL something when we do enough killing of ourselves and other things in this world where this is just more unnecessary killing.

A good case in point is something that just happened in rural Ontario. An honest, well respected community man, from the media reports who interviewed his 'friends' just blew away a police officer and young father of three who pulled him over in his truck stemming from a domestic dispute with his estranged wife. As Jim says, here is a fellow who was a law abiding citizen, registered gun owner, who snapped emotinally and took the life of someone else, with his gun.
I'm not a fan of the rampant gun ownership in the states either, but there are a few holes in your argument.
I know people who hunt for their food. I know people who raise their own livestock, and grow their own vegetables (me included), and even cut their own firewood for heat. Not everybody works 9-5, and thinks it's OK to spend a few hundred bucks a week at the grocery store. Hunting is a reality, and necessity for some, and whether you buy it, or hunt it, it's still getting killed.

Law abiding citizens don't kill cops. Guns don't kill people. People kill people. Don't blame the gun.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:43 AM   #12

Criminals will get guns. They don't mind doing it illegally. Just like drugs.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:22 AM   #13

I live in the real world and it would be a great thing if no one was a criminal or unstable. In the real world we can't stop those people, so I guess I think we should not make laws that leave guns only in the hands of the Criminals! Oh and don't forget that criminals don't care about laws, only the law abiding citizens follow the laws.

I respect your opinions and appreciate your response.

Old 03-10-2010, 06:22 PM   #14

It's refreshing to see people disagree without it turning into a big fight, or name calling exhibition

Old 03-10-2010, 07:05 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprf1y
I'm not a fan of the rampant gun ownership in the states either, but there are a few holes in your argument.
I know people who hunt for their food. I know people who raise their own livestock, and grow their own vegetables (me included), and even cut their own firewood for heat. Not everybody works 9-5, and thinks it's OK to spend a few hundred bucks a week at the grocery store. Hunting is a reality, and necessity for some, and whether you buy it, or hunt it, it's still getting killed.

Law abiding citizens don't kill cops. Guns don't kill people. People kill people. Don't blame the gun.
Guns enable people to kill other people and other things too easily. They are an instrument of death. The world would be better off without them.

I'm sure those who grow their own food, cut their own wood etc would not need a gun most of the time either. I think without them, the human will adapt to find alternative methods to solve their problems, hopefully without killing. I'm sure if they need livestock or crop protection, a roaming band of coyote frightening pit bulls would be more effective than a midnite wakeup, find the gun, run outside in the dark etc..

As for criminals, you know, if you just made the guns completely illegal, and possesion of one was lengthy jail time, or perhaps execution on the spot, I think there'd be less of them around. I can't compare this to drugs, because drugs are equally evil, in that they are mind, body, soul destroying, but are addictive, and addicts must have them or they go crazy. I'm sure most gun owners won't be breaking into cars to buy their bullets, they'll just move on with life.