Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2007, 04:55 PM   #1

warranty

i called my dealer today told them my problems they said to bring it in and they would fix it. i made an apointment for april 4. i'll keep you posted. fingers crossed.i have to wait til my daughter is out of school for spring break or i could go sooner

Old 03-23-2007, 06:35 PM   #2

i forgot a list of problems

1 brake hung up fixed myself but pads are shot
2 fully charged battery but will not start just makes clicking sound from under seat
3 speedo cable shot (kinda my fault didn't lube it)
4 it doesn't like to shift outa first gear unless its red lined (maxed out throttle)

all at the same time is just irritating but should be ok soon

Old 03-23-2007, 06:45 PM   #3

#4 sounds like a clutch adjustment issue. I has issues shifting out of first in traffic. Fixed it with a bit of trial and error with the clutch cable adjuster.

"The beatings will continue until moral improves"

Old 03-23-2007, 08:15 PM   #4

Pumpkin,
For the price you paid for the bike, I would take full advantage of the warranty, you're lucky that you can just have them fix it, not all of us have that option...

Old 03-23-2007, 11:24 PM   #5

Yeah, but he has to truck it fifty miles to get there. The last we heard, they only have a part-time mechanic.

But at least he has a warranty!

Old 03-23-2007, 11:55 PM   #6

And that's what counts....I bought mine internet and I've been riding over 15 years and don't mind doing the work myself, I also paid alot less, $700 less and found a local dealer that can get me parts... So it is a trade off, do you wanna truck it out to the dealer and fix warranty parts or do you wanna fix it yourself? The things that have gone wrong on Pumpkins bike I could pay for out of pocket and still not come remotely close to that purchase price...
Sam, I'm thinkin your a fix it yourself kinda guy judging from your previous pics, am I outta line???

Old 03-24-2007, 12:52 AM   #7

No, you are exactly right! That's actually my reasoning for getting the Viva. I like the look of it and I want something to work on and tinker with. My buddies think I'm nuts for buying this bike. I don't have cars or fancy trucks, just bikes. I could have whatever I want. But I chose to buy a cheap Chinese bike as my next project. They think it's funny! I want them to see the error of their ways.

If I have a problem with, let's say a brake caliper, for example, I'd not think twice about buying a cheap Brembo caliper off ebay and making it fit on the Viva. I have buddies with machine shops and one with a milling machine. A caliper bracket is an easy item for me to come up with. I may just do that anyway. Front and rear Brembo calipers would be nice additions. Would someone on here pay 30 bucks for a caliper bracket to put a Brembo caliper on a Chinese bike? I don't know!

Can't wait to get my hands on it. My thinking and I may be WAY off base here, is that I can make a very nice bike out of this. Spending a little money on it, is no problem for me. I've spend 13 times as much on my KTM straight out of the box. This project won't even be a drop in the bucket compared to that.

Old 03-24-2007, 01:04 AM   #8

SamM,
It sure is great to hear that somebody that has the money to get ANYTHING they want, but they buy a chinabike instead. That's great because it sounds like when it comes to different bikes you've been there and done that, and the Chinese motorcycle has caught even YOUR eye! The chinese are working their ancient secrets on us all 8O 8O 8O 8O

Old 03-24-2007, 02:08 AM   #9

sheadouglas,
I'll take that as a compliment! I'm not in anyway made of money! I work hard and I have been blessed in many ways. I have a wonderful young wife that works very hard too. We have saved for years to build ourselves a new house and that dream is finally coming true for us and our daughter. And better yet, it is an eco-friendly GREEN home. Very cool! I digress. A few months ago, I went to the Cycle World International Motorcycle Show looking for my next bike. I had thought that I found it. My next purchase was going to be a 2007 Husqvarna TE610. My plan was to build a lightweight adventure bike to tackle the Trans America Trail in a few years. For health reasons, I have decided to switch directions and not get the Husky. The Viva is just going to be a play bike for me. In a couple years, I'll be getting something new. The KTM stays though. It's a great bike!

Mark my words and you have probably heard this before. In 5 years or so, the Chinese will be building bikes that any motorcyclist would want to own. They already own Benelli. Have you seen the Benelli Tre-K yet? Think Adventure bike as in trek. Awesome bike. I'll post a picture if I can find one! The Chinese are sure to purchase other companies, as they progress forward into the motorcycle manufacturing business or at least buy into a few! They already have relationships with most of the Japanese Motorcycle Companies. They are well funded by the communist and their pockets are VERY deep.

Myself, I like the idea of doing something with nothing. There I said it again! And it's not that I think these bikes are nothing, but they are cheap and that's the perception. They are great starter bikes, for someone unsure if they want to ride. They are great beginner bikes for someone just starting out. If you crash it, your not out thousands of dollars. To me these bikes just make sense in many ways. Air-cooled simplicity, proven design, easy of maintenance and cheap to produce. What is there to not like! Honestly, I'll probably go way overboard on mine. Stay tuned!

Old 03-24-2007, 02:23 AM   #10

Pumpkin,
I apologize for the thread hijack. I did not intend for that to happen!

Technically, this is not a Chinese bike. However, the Chinese do own the company that built this bike! Six of one, half a dozen of the other. The Chinese are very innovative. It's only a matter of time.

2007 Benelli 1130 Tre-K

Old 03-24-2007, 09:29 AM   #11

Hi SamM

Technically...China Does Own Benelli. Benelli was purchased by a Chinese co. about a year ago! Keeway Motors now owns Benelli Motorcycles. Benelli is still located in Italy and so is part of Keeway. There is a ton of information on the net. I have been following Benelli since 1990.
http://www.keewaymotor.com/
http://translate.google.com/translat...d49%2dx%2ehtml
http://translate.google.com/translat...dy%2dkeeway%2f
I bought out a lot of Benelli inventory back in 1990 from a guy/shop that closed years ago {Streetsboro Cycle}. He Purchased the parts from a guy that used to be a Benelli Parts Distributor here in Ohio. Cosmopolitan Motors in PA owned by retiring Larry Wise was the sole importer of Benelli Motorcycles in the USA. Larry is retiring and Big Joe is taking over what is left in crated Benelli Parts that where never opened. Nope no old motorcycles left if there are Joe isn't saying anything!
http://www.cosmotor.com/
Currently I own, 1968 Benelli Dynamo 50cc Woodsbike, 1970 Benelli Dynamo 65cc Scrambler, {1} 1972 Benelli Dynamo 65cc Compact, 1974 Benelli Panther 125, 1968 Montgomery Wards {Benelli} Scrambler 175, 1973 Benelli Volcano 180 and inventory for the small Benelli 2-Stroke bikes.

Bruce
Hours: Tue.-Fri. 10:00-6:00 Sat. 10:00-4:00 EST.
Dealer for: Lifan, Crossrunner ATVs.
http://www.endlessjourneycycles.net

Old 03-24-2007, 11:08 AM   #12

When I started my quest for another bike after being grounded for 8 years after selling my Shadow due to having twins and wanting to see them grow up, if you've ever ridin in Florida with the all the elderly and their Caddy cages you know what I mean, I had no idea China bikes even existed.. I was in the market for a used Jap dual-sport, I had 3 grand in hand and was willing to spend all of it.. I searched and searched and searched some more and just couldn't find one without having to travel a great distance to even look at one. So one day I happened to click Other makes on E-bay motors and to my suprise, China bikes delivered to your door for $1000 bucks, hmmm... So I started doing some research and came across a post on ThumperTalk by a man that is a member here, Pullin-gs, he had chronicled his China bike (Terminator) from the day he got it to the time he took it on an enduro run and what he did to it, I was sold... In the meantime I happened across Chinariders.net and started reading the posts here and it only reinforced my decision, thanks guys.. So for $1205 I had a 06 GY-5 delivered to my carport and have never been happier, did have a minor MCO issue but resolved it quickly... This is a great alternative for a new rider or someone like me getting back into it, the $1800 I have left over is going towards getting the kids quads for their B-day, who'd have thought that you could get the entire family riding for such a minimal investment....

Old 03-25-2007, 12:25 AM   #13

Qianjiang

Benelli is now part of Motor Group Qianjiang. Benelli's new name is actually Benelli Q.J. Qianjiang is the largest motorcycle manufacturer in China. They are located in southeast China at Wenling, which is 480km from Shanghai. They have a workforce of over 14,000 and produce over 1,200,000 motorcycles and scooters each year. They also produce more than two million engines per year. Their ultra modern city-sized factory is equipped with sophisticated machine tools imported from Germany, Italy and the U.S. Qianjiang is positioning itself to be a major player in the future of modern motorcyles.

I have never heard of Keeway Motors before. That's probably just one of the many names that Qianjiang sells motorcycles under.

Old 03-25-2007, 12:03 PM   #14

Hi SamM

You are correct for the first part about Qianjiang but they don't sell over 2 million engines a year...they all say this. I saw their bikes at The Indianapolis Dealer Expo this year and hammered the rep with this too. Most of their bikes have Lifan engines in them and that is the actual factory that they buy their engines from. As I told Culcune don't believe everything you see on the internet. Ask him. I'm not trying to get into a heated argument here I'm telling you facts. I have been working with bikes for over 30 years and I'm up on what is coming out of China. They all say they produce engines and if you look at a lot of the sites the engine plants are all the same one.....Lifan. I have a lot of infomation on a CD but no place to post it.

Bruce
Hours: Tue.-Fri. 10:00-6:00 Sat. 10:00-4:00 EST.
Dealer for: Lifan, Crossrunner ATVs.
http://www.endlessjourneycycles.net

Old 03-26-2007, 01:17 PM   #15

No heated debate or arguments from me Bruce. I believe you, I've just never heard of Keeway Motors. Qianjiang I've heard of. My information is straight from Cycle World, Motorcyclist and the web. The info I posted about Qianjiang was taken directly from the Qianjiang website.

Keeway Motors is probably just one of the many names that these bikes are sold under. You need a scorecard to keep track of the different names and different companies. Qianjiang's purchase of Benelli makes them a major player among the East Asian motorcycle manufacturers. I'm interested to see what they do with Benelli and what they try to sell under the Benelli name. The new US importer for Benelli is Benelli America LLC. No doubt funded by Motor Group Qianjiang.

The 5 biggest East Asian companies to watch are Hyosung, United Motors, Vento, Kymco and Zongshen. Zongshen has just finished building a new 100 million dollar R&D facility and have a work capital of 500 million dollars. That is HUGE! They are in the process of fielding a proprietry MotoGP racer next year! I'm sure you are well aware of all this! It interesting to know that Zuo Zongshen the founder of Zongshen started with just a motorcycle repair shop in 1982.

All of these companies are well funded and are positioning themselves to be major players in the US market in the very near future. I'm facinated by the Chinese motorcycle industry and read everything I can find on the subject. A great deal of money is there to be made by getting in on the ground floor with these companies. Again, I'm sure you are well aware of this. The proof is that you are a UM dealer. Most American motorcyclists laugh at the thought of owning a Chinese or East Asian made motorcycle. Not me, I see the writing on the wall. My best riding buddy laughed at me this morning about my recent purchase of a VX200SX.