Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2009, 03:50 PM   #1

Hey from The Great White North (ON, CAN)

Just a quick post before I head off to work. I have read at least 3 solid hours of ATV info on here, very informative and helpful. I would almost say it clinched my decision to purchase.

Heres what I have ordered:

GIO 200cc Beast-Urban Camo
CDI HiPo ignition module
Performance pipe
Mikuni 250cc carb
Winch
Helmet

Nothing received yet, next week I imagine.

If anyone wants know, all items were won on auction and grand total was around $1100.00 shipped to my door. I have not filled out my profile yet, but I live just North of Toronto. A few of the items were ordered together to save on shipping.
ATV was won at $530, about average from what I have seen.

I am aware of what I've purchased and will be buying Loctite, replacing all bolts with 10.9 metric, and not treat it rough (I'm 51yrs old).

Yamaha swing arm bearings are next along with everything else like chain, batt (except the front shocks mod...cant weld) from that other fellow who owns a Beast on here .
I know some items like the winch are pretty untested, but i paid $35.00 for it and Crappy Tire sells the same thing for $79.00 WITHOUT the rollers whaich are another $50.00. So since shipping was only $20.00 combined with other items, plus $10.00 fee I figure it should be OK. I dont expect the winch to pull a boat up a ramp for that price, but to drag the ATV up in to the trailer and maybe get me unstuck every now and then it should perform just fine.

Pete

Old 10-01-2009, 03:55 PM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to panamarandy
welcome to the boards.............

Old 10-01-2009, 04:12 PM   #3

Welcome!

Lots of Canuks here!

Old 10-01-2009, 04:21 PM   #4

Hi PCD,

Welcome to the forums!

Lots of Beast owners here and an enormous amount of help for you if you ever need it.

You sound like you went all out with the parts and accessories! Could have a good couple weeks (depending on your time) getting that all set up. Never heard of anyone putting the winch on the Beast before, but I'm sure it's happened somewhere. Not a bad buy for the price at all!

We look forward to hearing of your progress assembly wise, with lots of pictures if you can!

Old 10-01-2009, 09:29 PM   #5

Thanks for the welcome. I can promise you I'll document the entire experience as I go along. Who knows, maybe I'll even run across something new to post .

Researched the GIO bikes extensively as well, probably about a week of reading and watching the site to see how the auctions worked (ahem)....
On the other hand, I've had a few emails with John Dem (no issues, only questions) and he has responded promptly and positively which is always a good sign.

I like to wrench & fabricate (no welder right now..darn!) so the machine looked like a good idea to me.
Sure the bikes are "inexpensive" but with an item like this you have to treat it right. I can have years of enjoyment from this ATV as long as the machine is treated properly.

As far as the accessories go, I learned early that those 3 were worthwhile upgrades that enhanced the bike (jury may still be out on the CDI though). It also made sense to order as much as possible at the same time for the shipping break.

As for the winch, well, if it saves me from slugging 300lbs (bike, not me) on and off the trailer, why not? the beast has a PERFECT mounting spot on the frame underneath the nose. I will not be drilling the frame however as i think thats always a bad idea, but I'll mount it another way. Will fab something up.

There is a ton of good info here and hopefully I can contribute somewhat in return.

Pete

Old 10-01-2009, 10:32 PM   #6

Welcome Pete!

Hope you enjoy your new Beast as much as I do ours. No need to fabricate in order to upgrade the front suspension; the performance front shocks at giobikes.com are a simple bolt-on (according to Neoplazma). I installed Raptor shocks on ours because good aftermarket shocks weren't available at the time. In reality, I wouldn't ride a Beast on the stock front shocks, because I believe that they'll take out the bushings and ball joints quickly. They're very stiff.

Neoplazma also installed a winch on his Beast; maybe you'd like to send him a PM for tips.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-01-2009, 10:54 PM   #7

Hello Weldangrind.
I still have about 300 of your 731 or so posts to go through :wink: . Think I've printed 20 or 30 pages so far.

Forgot about those upgraded shocks. I do remember now...they also have a single for the rear available. I'm already a c-note over budget though, so just "manual labour" mods for now except for what I already mentioned.
I will be following the same path as you did as far as not even firing it up til most things are done. There are a lot of things to be said for working on a sparkling clean, new machine! Wont be easy to let it sit in the garage all apart, but the end result will be worth it.
I am THINKING about re doing the entire wiring harness as well. larger AWG and professional connectors will enhance everything. Less resistance in the system with larger wire, less prone to breakage, make a switch to LED for lighting, etc.

I dont really see a downside to it. This would be primarily labour as I have access to a great deal of automotive electrical supplies at cost.

The weak point will be the stator, but trickle charging an upgraded batt while the machine is in the garage certainly is not difficult.

Thanks for the heads up on the person who installed the winch. I will pm him/her.

Cheers

Pete

Old 10-01-2009, 11:02 PM   #8

Welcome to the forums, I see a 4-wheeler in my future for the kids, keep us posted on how it goes!

Old 10-01-2009, 11:15 PM   #9

Thank you. I will document everything, but this ones is for me

Old 10-01-2009, 11:55 PM   #10

Hey PCD,

I found the CDI was a good, cost effective upgrade for my 110cc. It seemed to run stronger than before. Be hard for you to tell the difference if you install initially but I was happy with it, for the money.

Sounds like you're excited and that's a great thing. Have fun with it!

-TT

Old 10-02-2009, 12:19 AM   #11

Turbo: Yes, it will be impossible for me to quantify because I will install it off the bat, but I did read a great many positive reviews. It also looks quite a bit larger which doesnt prove anything I suppose, but maybe it provides a more aggressive curve. I wonder if you would have to drop down to a colder plug with it?

Will be good to have the stocker as a spare too!

I was 100% sold on the carb (no brainer) and that more or less forced me to get the pipe since you generally have to do both to see any improvement in your air pump..er....i mean engine

Old 10-02-2009, 11:35 AM   #12

I have the upgraded carb and I have a free-flowing exhaust from a 150 Monster, but I've yet to install either of them (BTW, I think that the Monster pipe is less restrictive, but requires welding on a Beast). I intend to first install a speedometer so that I can quantify changes and report them. The digi speedometer I picked up was around $15. I'm such a geek. :roll:

On the winch topic, you can double your pulling power with a snatch block. Princess has a 4000lb snatch block on sale this week for $6.99, and it's perfect for a 2000lb winch. Are you saying that your winch came with a roller fairlead as well?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-02-2009, 06:31 PM   #13

DISCLAIMER: All my parts have been shipped as of yesterday, so as of this moment I do not have them in hand.

Ok, that being said, yes, it clearly shows the fairlead AND the mounting plate included with the winch.

CT is 79 winch and 49 fairlead and mounting plate.

Auction was 35 + 5 fee and VERY inexpensive shipping because I ordered 3 items at once, 20 bucks total I think.

Weldangrind: We could both burn out this winch in 5 minutes flat with mistreatment, but treat it with respect to what it is and i suspect it will last awhile.
Warning: I THINK it is rated at 2000lbs with 100amp draw, however i read somewhere it comes with 50 amp breaker so its a little sneaky, but I knew that before I purchased.
Oh, I will be hitting PA later today

EDIT: Fix speeling

Old 10-17-2009, 10:12 PM   #14

Welcome! If you have the time, please post photos after your "goodies" arrive; we love photos!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-17-2009, 10:34 PM   #15

This is a 30 second shoddy mock up, but gives you an idea of what it will look like.