Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2009, 05:02 AM   #1

new to me 200? (aka, should I buy this)

Found this on my evening craigslist hunt, I think I should go have a look...

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/mcy/1253997689.html

Old 07-05-2009, 10:38 AM   #2

http://www.cybermotorcycle.com/euro/brands/norman.htm

Interesting, and truly an "orphan", papers.......gotta come with papers.

Old 07-05-2009, 10:49 AM   #3

Reveen, thanks, that is about all the information I could really find about it too Papers would be ideal, I'll give the guy a call and see, but there is a way to "retrieve" registration with ICBC here, it's a long process and costs a bit of money... And if the previous registered owner says "hey thats mine, it was stolen!", I am pretty sure you loose the bike...

Old 07-05-2009, 11:17 AM   #4

It is only lately that getting papers has become a real PITA, so much so, that if whatever I am buying doesn't have papers my interest is pretty close to 0. I guess it has to do with my lack of patience (or maybe my blood pressure) because I really am not interested in being treated like cattle (standing in line only to find the rules have changed since last time) and suspected of stealing something (and treated like I stole it). Then, once you have the thing figured out, you must pay a dealer for an appraisal, because it isn't in the wholesale book, or they can't be bothered to find it, and my main goal in life is cheating the government out of their tax money, so again, I am treated like a criminal. So, unless I am parting something out, if you wish to sell me something it has papers.

http://www.normancycles.co.uk/

Old 07-05-2009, 11:42 AM   #5

Sure would be a great addition to a collection though......That is cheap.

Old 07-05-2009, 11:52 AM   #6

Sounds like it is even worse in your area 8O It is mostly done through the mail here... I did it not long ago for a 73 honda 350 that had been sitting in my parents barn for years... It was a long drawn out process for sure, but other then that no problems.

I left the guy a message, so we'll see, and thanks for that link.

It does seem relatively cheap, I don't know what it needs though, those aren't great pictures... If it is running and with registration then it is a great price, if not, then it's kind of high I think maybe.

Old 07-05-2009, 02:26 PM   #7

jim i have a love for that older stuff, i would guess that you do as well. it would be a labor of love but it sure looks worth while to me, very diffrent
fired roketa,lifan and jet moto and apollo quit me who's next

Old 07-05-2009, 10:56 PM   #8

I decided to pass... I had a look, and it is pretty cool looking, but...

The guy doesn't have registration for it. He is not sure what year it is, or what make. He has no paper work from when he bought it. All of these add up to making it nearly impossible for me to register the bike.

It is not running.

It is missing:
the fenders, front and back
the head lamp and tail lamp
seat
any levers or shifters
foot pegs
wiring
tank emblems
rear sprocket
chain
brakes
mirror (if it is supposed to have any?)

Also, the engine case has a crack in it, though it has been welded.

He does have "parts" though they aren't for this bike, they don't really even fit it. The gas tank on the bike is not correct, the mounting hard ware doesn't line up, and it is almost just sitting there. It has two outlets on the back of the tank (one on each side of the frame of course), one is open. The handle bars appear to be incorrect also. It is in dire need of tires.

On top of all of this though, (a lot of it is minor stuff anyways) I offered $300 on the spot, after checking it out... I think is a pretty good deal for a non running, non registered bike, which I will very likely never be able to register. Ever. I could try, but who knows how it would work out. Anyways it was cool to look at, physically it is smaller then I expected. It would be a cool project, but I would want to ride it on the road, and without registration I can't. He said he bought it for $500 (9 or so years ago), and does't want to loose any money on it.

Oh well, back to the Honda project.

Old 07-06-2009, 12:24 AM   #9

WOW, Beyond roach!!! sounds like a dead roach

Old 07-06-2009, 02:04 PM   #10

Well.................

Sounds like a "parts" bike, and looking at it, parts from an era that really don't use well in anything but a pre 1960 situation. $300 was more than fair, who cares what he paid for it, maybe put his contact info away, and re-visit this in 6 months, or so.
There is a procedure for the "rightful possession" claim for a new title to be generated.
Did you snag any numbers? It is likely it would register with the engine number, and you would identify it by the engine number. Old Villiers 2 strokes were once pretty plentiful, but are pretty thin on the ground these days, there should be a registry of numbers somewhere that would identify it.

Ah.......here:
http://www.isdm.co.uk/villiersinfo/engineAsp/index.htm

I *guess* it all depends on your "gut" feeling for it.

Old 07-06-2009, 03:17 PM   #11

It would require me to deal with ICBC more then I care too One day the right one will show up, I already have a bike and a project bike

Old 07-08-2009, 03:46 PM   #12

rip off 500 for what is basicly a frame with a cracked engine
but it would make a good flat tracker or beach racing bike though atleast thats wat i think lol