Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2009, 10:47 PM   #1

barely running zong

I was cruising home from work today when my bike started stumbling and backfiring really bad it died. i was able to get it started but it wasnt running well had a slight stumble it started to die again and again along with pinging and backfiring in the exhaust and i think in the carb. I was able to keep it running by hitting the kill switch while it was still winding down when i released the kill switch it would run awhile. I did this for about ten miles til i got home. it would backfire and stumble when it started to die. i can push start it but it will die shortly after. while i was riding it between the stumbles it still had plenty of power it was wierd im thinking electrical but my diagnostic skills arent that great . Any help would greatly be appreciated.
Shawn

Old 06-25-2009, 11:03 PM   #2

I could be a failing CDI box. It does sound like an ignition problem. Check the connections to the CDI and coil. One may be loose.

Allen

Old 06-26-2009, 12:33 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
I could be a failing CDI box. It does sound like an ignition problem. Check the connections to the CDI and coil. One may be loose.

Allen
I am thinking the same thing; a bad CDI unit. I suggest you follow Allen's advice.

The wiring nexus for the pickup coil and magneto are on the left side of the bike, below the carburetor and behind the side plastic. The connections are inside a small rubber boot. Make sure all the connections are secure.

Also, remove your CDI unit and check for surface irregularities. The CDI unit on my Zong failed after 10,800 miles. I diagnosed the problem with a digital voltmeter.

http://www.chinariders.net/modules.p...+unit+zongshen

However, when I later examined the CDI unit, it clearly had a large bulge.

http://www.chinariders.net/modules.p...gshen&start=30

As Allen suggested, also check the primary lead connection to the ignition coil. However, if your Zong is like mine, this connection should be quite secure.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 06-26-2009, 11:45 AM   #4

Exactly the same as when my CDI went. I was out in the sticks on a dirt road and felt lucky to make it home. Got a new box for $10, and the dealer send me a new one under warantee.

Old 06-26-2009, 01:17 PM   #5

GUYS iappreciate all the feedback on my question. Im certain the cdi is the problem. im going tomthe dealer today after work to see if he will cover it under warranty. my 1 year warranty is up july 1st. but it wasnt a written warranty more of a promise to make good so we will see. thanks again to everyones imput. I will post my findings.

P.S. i apologize to anyone who has trouble with my grammar. im typing on the control of my machine at work as it has intenet access and it is what i use while im here.

Old 06-26-2009, 01:18 PM   #6

how many miles do you have on it ?

Old 06-26-2009, 01:31 PM   #7

if posible replace it with 1 of those race cdi boxes
i would but what do i know lol

Old 06-26-2009, 01:32 PM   #8

4000 miles. the stator went out at 800 so i beleive it to be fine

Old 06-26-2009, 02:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsonsgccc
GUYS iappreciate all the feedback on my question. Im certain the cdi is the problem. im going tomthe dealer today after work to see if he will cover it under warranty. my 1 year warranty is up july 1st. but it wasnt a written warranty more of a promise to make good so we will see. thanks again to everyones imput. I will post my findings.

P.S. i apologize to anyone who has trouble with my grammar. im typing on the control of my machine at work as it has intenet access and it is what i use while im here.
If the dealer won't cover it under warranty, you can get the CDI unit from Zonshen America for $25, plus shipping. I got two of them, so I have a spare. The wiring connector for the Zong CDI is different from the other Chinabikes.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 06-26-2009, 02:12 PM   #10

ahh so no fancy aftermarket cdi's then

Old 06-26-2009, 03:01 PM   #11

Just curious, when was the last time the bike got wet ?? I was wondering because, Spud's went out shortly after washing his.

Old 06-26-2009, 03:16 PM   #12

atleast 2 or 3 weeks ago. i park outside so dew gets on it but that is about it. i wasnt even riding hard about fifthy or so mph 60 by the speedo.

Old 06-26-2009, 04:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRider
Just curious, when was the last time the bike got wet ?? I was wondering because, Spud's went out shortly after washing his.
I think my CDI failure after washing my bike was just a coincidence; the CDI never got wet. Also, my failed CDI unit has a large bulge in the case. If I get the opportunity, I will cut open the CDI case and try to determine the failed component. However, even if the CDI unit had become wet, I don't think it would cause a component inside the CDI to rupture.

I have traveled about 1,500 miles on my new CDI unit, and it is working very well. A new Yamaha TW200 CDI unit costs $117.77, and that is a discounted price. :roll:

http://www.cyclepartswarehouse.com/f...006&fveh=18065

I don't feel too bad about paying $25 for a Zong CDI.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 06-26-2009, 04:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsonsgccc
atleast 2 or 3 weeks ago. i park outside so dew gets on it but that is about it. i wasnt even riding hard about fifthy or so mph 60 by the speedo.
We have had a number of CDI units fail recently on Chinabikes.

http://www.chinariders.net/modules.p...ewtopic&t=8322

Any electronic device can fail; these CDI units fail on the Japanese bikes, also. However, we pay a lot less for our Chinese replacements.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 06-26-2009, 07:02 PM   #15

That's the nice thing and they are easy part to get also.

Most CDIs for jap bikes start at $50 or more and if its an older Jap bike they are NLA a lot of times.

Allen