Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Dealer & Distributor Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2009, 04:55 AM   #1

Baja motorsports is complete crap

I bought a hensim rebranded Baja motorpsorts 250 cruiser and a sc150 Baja Motorsports scooter. Neither made it to 100 miles. The 250 had the tranny lock up at 49 miles, stuck between 4th and 5th gear and the scooter had the magneto die. All baja would authorize was 1 hour diagnostic on the 250 and then denied my warranty coverage on that saying that the bike still had packing oil in it, that the retailer I bought it from either didn't change out the packing oil or that I or them had overfilled it. They claim SIX quarts of oil came out of it. A little 250cc motor with six quarts that should have less than two but still registered fine on the dipstick? The sc150 scooter they denied my warranty on because I had taken some things apart to troubleshoot it when I was stranded by it. Apparently you can't do the troubleshooting the manual tells you to do. (check for spark, check for gas in the carb etc which requires you to remove some crap to get to them)

The 250 I had never even touched and they denied that too. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Everyone needs to be warned about Baja Motorsports practices of making shit up to deny warranty coverage. Do not buy one at any price unless you expect a bike you will have to constantly fix on your own.

Now I have no way to fix these and the warranty center in my area says they are washing their hands of them. (Their words) They are reassembling my 250cc cruiser and I have to pick it up still broken after two weeks in the shop with no recourse though them.

I'm starting a lawsuit, a couple of them actually. Anyone who would like to go in on a class action lawsuit should contact me here. If you have similar stories of warranty coverage being denied please post them. So far I've found there are 4 claims pending in my state against them currently and several past claims. Some are resolved and some aren't, it's on a case by case basis.

I will never stop sreading the word about this company that thinks an hour on hold each time you call them is ok and denying warranty coverage for any reason they can fabricate is just ok.

BTW it didn't have packing oil in it, it had Amsoil from the place that sold it, I had to remove the stupid amsoil sticker from the motor.

They lie cheat and steal and that's no exaggeration. Avoid Baja Motorsports at all costs!

Old 06-20-2009, 02:11 PM   #2

Thanks for the warning. There are people out there that believe the Chinese will overtake the Japs in motorcycle sales. Not a chance if they rely on sub-standard importers with high business acumen but low ethics. Unless they establish their own factory importers they will not suceed.
Qingqi QM200GY-BA Super Motard
Yamaha Virago XV1100
Triumph Bonneville SE
Qingqi QM110GY
PGO Bug rider 250 Buggy

Old 06-20-2009, 06:06 PM   #3

ive said it before you have to have a good product a good distributor and a good dealer 2 out of 3 cant make it
fired roketa,lifan and jet moto and apollo quit me who's next

Old 06-20-2009, 07:15 PM   #4

Six quarts of oil? 8O

From 3 bikes, maybe.
From a Boss Hoss....okay.
From a 250 (single or twin?)? Not a chance.

Sorry to read about your troubles. I hope you find satisfaction somewhere down the road.

Best of luck! 8)

Edit: Where's Chuck? It's about that time again...
2005 Kawasaki EX250 - A new project

Old 06-21-2009, 12:29 AM   #5

Well you tell Hensim and Baja that you have lots of friends and by the time we are done, they might as well pack up and go home. I am not as disappointed as you are but I am very disappointed and I will work hard to get to every forum and discourage anyone from buying any of their products. We should start with getting some input from the admins, and I expect them to agree.

We should also start by being very respectful and give Baja or Hensin a fair chance. Your story does not surprise me, as it has been hard to find responsible dealers for these products. I will have more later as I see what others say.

Any idea if anyone can fix this bike?

Old 06-21-2009, 01:03 AM   #6

This Baja is a different one from the brand being sold at Canadian Tire I assume?

Old 06-21-2009, 02:38 PM   #7

Baja is the same brand sold at canadian tire, they are one of the few distributors Baja has left now that Joes Sports and Outdoor stores have gone out of business. Don't buy one unless you feel you must and knowing in advance how Baja treats it's customers. Any time you call them now it takes an hour on hold before you even get to a person.

IF canadian tire assembles it properly and stands behind it and you make sure it has the proper amount of oil etc and never have to call baja, and the price is a steal then maybe, as long as you know what you might be getting into. The warranty center even flat out said that Baja is lower quality all around compared to the chinese bikes the warranty center sells. They do not sell any baja products at the warranty center, they sell better chinese brands like tank or Sunl or something. They flat out tell me baja is junk at the warranty center?

Yes SIX quarts of packing oil they claim came out of the 233cc inline twin, that's why they deny my warranty saying the seller did not prep the bike properly. You and I both know 6 quarts probably would never even fit, and even if it somehow did it would be spewing out all over the place when the bike was running and espaecially after it heated up. That much oil would blow head gaskets and ruin pistons and rings and shoot out all over the ground but it wouldn't do jack shit to the transmission, the tranny would keep on functioning even after the heads blew off.

Since it was said to be packing oil to me that seems like a manufacturer defect. Why even ship bikes with packing oil instead of real oil? I know it's standard practice but it must cost someone way more than if they all just used real oil to begin with. I'm sure there would be a lot less problems and a lot less warranty hassles if they shipped bikes ready to run.

I have started a dispute on my credit card for this and if that doesn't work I already have the packet from the attorney generals office to fight that way. Both fail and I'm headed at least to small claims court or if I find more victims maybe a class action lawsuit.

Here is a similar story I missed in our local newspaper:
http://blog.oregonlive.com/complaint...rranty_pr.html

So they knew in advance there may be warranty issues but still continued to claim and have signs up saying all manufacturers warranty's are still in full effect... I don't even know who I go after yet, maybe it's the auction house first and baja second.

Old 06-21-2009, 05:16 PM   #8

Oh ok, I didn't realize that. I was never impressed looking at the bikes at Canadian tire, I was much happier with the quality, AND PRICE of the Lifan. I also wouldn't expect much service from Canadian tire, it's hard enough to find someone to ask where something is, but to be fair I never tried buying one from them. I do hope you get your ordeal sorted out, hopefully the credit card company can help.

Old 06-21-2009, 10:25 PM   #9

If you know a handy bike guy, this might not be such a serious problem. I worry if they took it apart, they did more damage than you had originally. I am going to send you a message so we can talk.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealWorld
If you know a handy bike guy, this might not be such a serious problem. I worry if they took it apart, they did more damage than you had originally. I am going to send you a message so we can talk.
This sounds promising... I've never been into a motorcycle transmission but I've done plenty fo wrenching before if that's enough to make me capable of the repair with the proper instruction or manual which I can't find for this bike or engine at all.

The repair shop said they'd need to pull the case apart to fix it after they got into the clutch cover. Some part had gotten loose in the clutch cover area and metal was shredded into the oil. The part that had fallen loose looked like a u shaped piece of flat steel with 5 fingers or so. They also said something about marks behind the clutch assembly and asked if anyone had been into the engine before because of those marks. Not to my knowlege, new bike, duh...

I have no idea if they put that piece that was loose and shredded back in there or left it out or replaced it.

I can't even find parts for this engine on ebay but maybe I'm not using the right search names or something. Most chinese engine parts I can find like new case gasket sets for various engines but not this one.
I'd hate to have to go through baja for parts, delay delay delay all summer I could be waiting.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:30 PM   #11

I'm sorry to hear you're having all this trouble. I remember you investigating this purchase and I told you I thought you'd be fine as they are in stores here in Canada. I'd actually not heard the Canadian Tire bikes were junk. They tend to get good reviews on the website..

Crappy to hear! Good luck in your efforts to get service!

Old 06-22-2009, 08:44 PM   #12

I have some things I need to do this evening but I was able to down load a parts manual on the Baja site after learning from you about the site. I found a place that supposedly has parts, I don't know anything about this site.

Hensim is selling these bikes in California, maybe you could part it out. I'm not trying to be cruel, but parts for these are expensive, and you might come out ahead.

http://www.motorcycle-bike-parts.com...ch&l_make=Baja

Old 06-26-2009, 03:07 PM   #13

I'd actually not heard the Canadian Tire bikes were junk.

The local guy (Moncton NB) that does the warranty work on Baja bikes, for the local Cdn Tire store, told me his "warranty cap" is $80, any more than $80 and Cdn tire will give the customer a new bike.

Stopping to *think*:
Locally they charge $799 (plus a set-up fee) for a 70cc pit bike. I have no idea what Cdn tire pays for these things (by the container) but, I do know what I just paid Gio for a 125cc pit bike singly (and it wasn't 1/2 that amount). So it would make some kind of sense to throw them away if the repair was greater than $80?

Anyway.......I don't *think* they are specifically "junk", I do *think* they have their "limitations", much the same way any Chinese bike does.