I LOVE IT! 16 50.00%
I HATE IT! 0 0%
Take it or leave it.... 1 3.13%
Whatever... 1 3.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-25-2007, 07:50 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to mdsuave13 Send a message via Yahoo to mdsuave13
*paint pics* update

so here are the pics of it all painted satin black... i have no idea how this krylon fusion paint is going to hold up... it seems pretty decent, but im sure its going to scratch off fairly easily if i take it thru bushes or something.... although its not fully cured either, i will make further painting updates in this post in the future...

Just for fun... can you spot the loctite tube?!

the pics arent the best, and im not done modding and getting the bike put together.. i still have to change the oil, mod the skidplate, change the exhaust, misc other things.

Let me know what you all think of it

2008 Kawasaki KLR650 Candy Lime Green

I am the official China bike registration Guru For the State of Maryland..... HA.

Old 02-25-2007, 11:10 PM   #2

Looks great! I'd like to do something similar when I get mine, along with changing the front wheel size to make a "Supermoto" style ride out of it.

BTW...the locktite tube is by the front axle...lol!!!

Old 02-25-2007, 11:26 PM   #3

Hey brother,
Pics are awsome, satin looks great!!! I did a small test today, I found Rust-oleum flat clearcoat so I painted one of my daughters old Barbie dolls flat black(Krylon pain in the ass hard to find for plastics) and clearcoated her, wanna post pics but it is a bit odd...Kids & Girlfriend have been on the back of the bike and they're not to particular about what they hit, side plastics don't have a scratch, good paint...

Old 02-25-2007, 11:32 PM   #4

Here's a pic...

Old 02-26-2007, 12:16 AM   #5

Well, 8 of us can't be too far off! Either "good" or "great"--keep going with the project.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 02-26-2007, 12:25 AM   #6

i guess what i am going to do is once i get her on the road, i will just see how the paint holds up.. if panels start looking crappy, i will take them off and paint them again a different way to see what i can do to make them more durable. You said that they have a "flat" clearcoat? hmmmm.. i may have to look into that. if it doesnt change the color of the paint that im using now, and adds a layer of protection, it may be worth looking trying.... i guess next time im at wally world i will have to look and see what i can find...

thats where i managed to scrounge up 5 cans of the krylon plastic paint (which i am still up in the air about over the durability)

I have a feeling that once i road test her, the inside of the front fender is going to take a beating and it will show nicks and scratches from the rocks hitting it.. which of course will show thru the black as red...

i will keep updates about how it is going for sure..

and yes the loctite tube is under the front of the bike, i had just gotten done loctiting the front end up.

All that is left now: front wheel on, oil change, prime the carb, fill her with go juice, fire her up and adjust the carb if needbe. i also would like to take the bike somewhere and have them true the wheels, and install new tubes (i dont feel like tightening spokes and ruining them)

I am the official China bike registration Guru For the State of Maryland..... HA.

Old 02-26-2007, 12:29 AM   #7

btw, ambassador, i can see your headlight harness.. i dont think you bothered to 3m electrical tape it up.. i do believe i see exposed wires

i used to do car audio, so my wire harness had to look perfect when done.. it is very neatly taped and neatly "shoved" up under the cluster.

Also, did you lube your cables? i found the front speedo cable pretty easy to lube, i just unhooked the cluster end, filled the fitting up with liquid silicon and turned the wheel end till the top end was empty and repeated that process till i felt like i sprayed a ton in there.. seems to move very smooth now compared to when i first turned it (sounded like it was just grinding)

Old 02-26-2007, 12:32 AM   #8

bike

man, looks great!!!! I ordered a blue one and they came back and said they only had red so now i know what i am going to do

Old 02-26-2007, 12:40 AM   #9

thanks hunter, i dont know the best way to go about making the paint durable, but so far so good.. just make sure to take your time and do a bunch of thin coats, if you go slow on the paint, it will look fantastic at the end.. i had one panel with a run on it, which pissed me off because it was the ONLY one i kinda rushed with.... after that, i went slow and it turned out great!

good luck and let me know if you have any questions about it.

Old 02-26-2007, 07:42 AM   #10

I like it.

Old 02-26-2007, 08:18 AM   #11

Sure looks good in the shop, but my guess is once you find a tight trail with tree branches and brush that the battle scars will soon be visible... of course the red might actually look good showing through the black -- like a true wounded beast. :wink:
'02 Kawasaki KX125

Old 02-26-2007, 09:37 AM   #12

Looks cool, I wonder if there is a automotive paint that you can use that holds up, need to ask a autobody tech. all the cars have plastic on them. btw how do you guys get your pics posted normal size, the site I been using I can't figure out how to use wish I could just drag and drop, my pics suck, to small and can't see.

Old 02-26-2007, 10:51 AM   #13

I think it looks great.

I'd do the same thing to mine but wonder how it will hold up after a few outings in the underbrush.

"The beatings will continue until moral improves"

Old 02-26-2007, 11:32 AM   #14

Suave, you right I haven't taped the wires yet, I've been looking for a Halogen bulb for the front light but I cant find a direct replacement for it so I may have to modify things a bit then I'll wrap it all up, did spray all of the contacts on the bike with silicone elec. contact spray though...

I too pulled off my speedo cable at the top and sprayed a butt load of lube down the cable also did the same with the clutch cable...

Have you started the dreaded MSO process yet?

Old 02-26-2007, 02:25 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by pobiker
Looks cool, I wonder if there is a automotive paint that you can use that holds up, need to ask a autobody tech. all the cars have plastic on them. btw how do you guys get your pics posted normal size, the site I been using I can't figure out how to use wish I could just drag and drop, my pics suck, to small and can't see.
there is a program that you can get from microsoft for free for xp. its called image resizer and it makes you able to resize your images by right clicking them in directories and clicking resize!

i too wonder how this will hold up in the underbrush, we will soon see.. i mean i dont really plan on riding it till it gets above freezing..

ambassador, no i havent started the registration process yet... just knowing i have to deal with the dmv makes me cringe.. i will get on that as soon as the bike is done in a week or two..... :-(