Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2009, 04:02 PM   #1

Giovanni/Gio Beast 200 question/china quads question

Old 03-05-2009, 09:09 PM   #2

We just bought 2.
The first is here, and we've been using it for about a week.
Its does not like the cold. It runs rich on idle, goes lean on transition, and stalls. In todays weather, 0 - +5, it ran fine.
I am not a quad guy, and have almost no quad experience, so as far as capability compared to Other quads, I can't help you. My son has some experience, and seems to really like it.
I am a mechanic, and to me, it looks to be fairly well built.
It has the pushrod motor, which runs well. When we assembled it, it fired withing 1.5 seconds, and idled perfectly.
If you would like me to take any detail pics of ours, just let me know.
Mine is due to arrive any time now, so I can get good pics disassembled.
Customer service has been good. The gas cap leaks, and they have agreed to send a new one at no charge. It looks to be money well spent.

Old 03-05-2009, 09:13 PM   #3

My Lifan didn't like the cold much when I bought it either (a rejet helped that) so I wouldn't expect these quads to be much different. I am assuming they have pretty much identical engines and carbs. That's interesting to hear they are still using the pushrod engine in them. Are they counterbalanced?

How long did it take you to assemble them (I assume you bought the Gio)?

Old 03-05-2009, 09:17 PM   #4

http://www.chinariders.net/modules.p...ewtopic&t=6982

I have no idea if its counterbalanced. To be honest, I didn't look too cloesly at it. It has a Kai hin carb, probably the same as your bike.
The light/horn switch is probably the same as your GY. The turn signal switch is used as the kill button
It took us (I made my son do most of the assembly) a few leisurely hours.
If you think its the same carb, what jetting did you use?

Old 03-05-2009, 09:23 PM   #5

If it is the same as pictured in the auction, then it doesn't look to be counter balanced...

I think they are probably decent for the price, though I have no first hand experience with them.

Old 03-05-2009, 09:26 PM   #6

How can you tell?
Is there a boss on the back, or front side of the cases with the balance shafts?

Old 03-05-2009, 09:52 PM   #7

Sorry I don't have a better picture...

The front of the engine there, with the fins, this is what the balanced ones look like (this style of engine anyways)...

Old 03-06-2009, 03:05 PM   #8

I forget what jetting changes I made, exactly....I might have gone from a 98 main to a 106, but really, that's just a wild guess.

I'm interested in knowing how well this quad will hold together. At the moment, they are selling for close to $600 US shipped, and that is just ridiculously cheap.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:58 PM   #9

Hey there!

Just thought I'd drop a couple of lines about the Gio Beasts...

a.) Nope, not counter balanced. Just the basic Clone engine, with reverse in the basement, where 1st gear should be.

b.) Front suspension is pretty hard, and not-adjustable. Works well, more or less, but it beats you up a little bit.

c.) The Usual Made-InChina Issues: Batteries suck, Chain Sucks, nothing that should be a surprise.

d.) THe rubber bushings in the rear suspension are pretty poor, causing swingarm misalignment, in turn the chain falls off. Not a huge issue, and they will go for a while, but eventually they will tire out, especially if you;re a big guy like me...

OVerall, we were really happy with ours, the things are dirt-simple, and a whole pile of fun, and rediculously fun for the money I would say they are a pretty resonable product for the money, and AllStar is pretty decent to get parts, and such from. (They also have a website...)

Overall, we put about 200 hours on ours, without any serious issues, I would happily recommend them

--Vince

Old 03-29-2009, 01:14 AM   #10

Hey Vince! Nice to find you here.

I'll chime in and say that the Beast swingarm bushings can be replaced with Yamaha part number 307-22123-00; that helps alot. I replaced the chain before ever riding it, added a fuel shut-off valve, shimmed the steering castle nut, added a zerk to the lower steering bearing, rebuilt the upper steering bearing, swapped in a Uni UP4152AST clamp-on 15 degree dual-layer air filter and swapped in a pair of 2006 Raptor 600 front shocks.

It was all totally worth the effort. The stock front shocks were waaay too stiff for the quad. The new shocks are nice and cushy, and they have tremendous travel. We now have a very capable machine.

Cheers!

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-29-2009, 08:23 AM   #11

Thanks for the info.
My son and I were looking at the swingarm bushings yesterday, and decided that we would do them, an O ring chain, and possibly a chain tensioner next winter.
We already have a pair of mx bike mufflers to adapt, and may do a larger carb swap.
I plan to use mine mostly for utility, so the power fine the way it is.

Old 03-29-2009, 11:28 AM   #12

I should add that 2006 Raptor shocks are not a simple swap. I had to fabricate new upper shock mounts and widen the lower mounts to make 'em fit. It was worth it, but alot of work.

I have photos of all of this stuff if anybody needs them.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-29-2009, 11:47 AM   #13

my 2 gios

hey weld, nice to see that you joined the forums...

with a little fabricating and some elbow grease, the quads can take a beating...just be sure that when you first get it, go over the entire thing and tight every bolt...even replacing alot of them would help, over all, ive yet to have a problem with mine, and i punish it pretty good.....going riding this afternoon as a matter of fact...will be posting new pics and vids

neo

Old 03-29-2009, 03:53 PM   #14

Hey Mr. WeldandGrind! Hey NeoPlazma! Good to see you guys!

I've been missing my chinesemotorsport fix for a while now!

How y'all been?

--Vince

Old 03-29-2009, 08:23 PM   #15

so far so good

been good, just went for our first ride this afternoon, tried my new helmet cam..it worked great except for the fact that i had it angled down to far....grrr, all you could see was my hands on the bars...which is ok...considering its my first time trying it...i modified it a tad so next time i use it, it should be damn near perfect......other than that it was a good ride, a tad chilly but non the less awesome,,,,did lotsa snow trails, they were all broken in from other quads and sleds so the crust was perfect....

the quads ran perfectly...it was about -2 but after a good choke warmup they ran perfect.........cant wait to go again after i got the cam properly sighted in.....at least this time i'll be able to post some good video....

NEO