Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-29-2024, 11:50 AM   #1

Cone(cupped) shaped washer&nut in valve stem ???

I have both tubes and both new tires for my Hawk, and will try to get them on pretty soon. I have only did a couple of tire changes . I really don't know what the point of having the cone shaped washer, and a nut on the valve ,inside of the rim. Does everyone use it? Or is it best to not use it ?

Old 02-29-2024, 04:35 PM   #2

The washer is kept there to protect the stem rubber around the rim hole. Some keep the holding nut there, others remove and double nut on top, still others use no nuts at all. Your call, let's see what says the collective consensus is.

Old 02-29-2024, 07:08 PM   #3

I use the cone washer against the wheel, followed by double nut on the outside against the cap, so the stem itself can wiggle. This was on Michelin tube instructions years ago, been doing it that way ever since.

Old 02-29-2024, 07:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'hermiit View Post
I use the cone washer against the wheel, followed by double nut on the outside against the cap, so the stem itself can wiggle. This was on Michelin tube instructions years ago, been doing it that way ever since.
Do you mean that you use it ( the cone washer)inside, or outside the rim?

Old 03-01-2024, 02:08 AM   #5

outside rim, washer, then double nut then cap.

It will allow the stem to move...But more than likely protect the rim from the nut digging into it. The washer will form up to the rim.

Old 03-01-2024, 09:52 AM   #6

I used an IRC heavy duty tube when I replaced the rear tire on my TBR7, and don't remember seeing the washer, but the new Tusk 2mm tubes that I intend to use on my Hawk do have the washer. From what I understand is the washer, and one nut go on the inside of the rim. I also don't remember seeing on on the old tube I removed from the TBR7. I will be sure to look for it on the tubes current in the Hawk.

Old 03-01-2024, 12:21 PM   #7

Lots of different people do it lots of different ways. IMHO, this is how it ought to be done. (See attachment)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tube nuts.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	8.3 KB
ID:	30901  

Last edited by superjocko; 03-01-2024 at 01:42 PM. Reason: added "IMHO"

Old 03-01-2024, 12:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by superjocko View Post
Lots of different people do it lots of different ways. This is how it ought to be done. (See attachment)
I looked at my Tusk tubes again, and I think the washer is glued onto the tube . My parts bike needed a tube when I got it, and I ordered a set of two super cheap ones, which I think were around $11.00 for two. I installed one, and used the valve stem nut from the old tube, if I remember correctly, and then after I was done, I found a little bag with a couple of the cupped washers, and for some reason a little die, like think that I assume is to thread something. I want videos, and even though it's not mentioned, it looks like some use a single nut right on top of the washer, inside the rim, and sometimes it looks like it'd just a naked valve stem. .

Old 03-01-2024, 01:35 PM   #9

Here's a video where the guy discusses various methods that people use on the valve stems lock nuts. The relevant part is 2:50 into the video.

As for me, the picture I posted earlier is the way I do it. Conical washer on the valve stem inside the rim with the raised portion pointing toward the inside of the rim. Two lock nuts, locked together on the valve stem on the visible portion of the stem outside the rim with about a few millimeters of space left between the lock nuts and the rim and also a few millimeters of space between the lock nuts and the threaded on valve stem cap. To each their own.

Old 03-01-2024, 06:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hilly View Post
Do you mean that you use it ( the cone washer)inside, or outside the rim?
Inside the wheel! It's to protect the stem.

Old 03-01-2024, 07:09 PM   #11

I found what is left of my old stock TBR7 tube(I have cut a few sections out if it for little bungee straps)and it has the little cupped washer on the stem,with a nut on top of it. I am not in a huge rush to change tires, and honestly a little disappointed by the front 605 Dunlop. It's tread is more shallow than I expected. I guess that may be the norm for motorcycle tires, but the knobby on the front of my Hawk right now has deeper tread than the new D605. The new rear has deep tread. I may just save them for my KPX, and use the parts bike knobby tires on my road Hawk's rims and then put my worn knobby tires on the parts bike rims, but that's a lot of extra tire changing. I probably will just go ahead and use the 605s on my Hawk, but whichever route I go, I am going to use my new tubes in my road legal Hawk.

Old 03-01-2024, 08:11 PM   #12

I wouldn't go by how the tubes were installed originally. The various motorcycle manufacturers don't even seem to be consistent in how they install lock nuts on the valve stems. I've had some bikes that came from the factory what I consider the "right way" and plenty more that didn't.