Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2024, 11:13 AM   #1

Another tire, and inner tube question???

I have been going back and forth on the route to choose new tires for my Hawk. Well last night ebay had a code that discounted the prices of some things. I took advantage of it on tires, and ordered a 4.60-18 Dunlop D605, and a 90/90-21 Dunlop D605. Is the 90/90-21 too wide? Also, I want new tubes, but have not ordered them yet, because I want heavy duty, but not too heavy because from what I gather, too thick has drawbacks as well as too thin. I saw them anywhere from 1.5mm-4mm thickness, claiming to be heavy duty. What advice you give me is very appreciated. Thanks

Old 02-26-2024, 04:10 PM   #2

I've had good experiences with Michelin Airstop heavy duty. Thick enough to repel most thorns, not all that heavy. I am thinking of going ultra heavy for long back country though. You can run single digit pressures with a stiff tire like the Tusk DSport without any concern about ripping the valve or punctures of any sort. On the heavy side though
Maybe just for the rear tire.

Old 02-26-2024, 04:48 PM   #3

I almost bought the Tusk D Sports, and probably should have,and watched some YouTube reviews of them, but while most that got them really liked them, a few others acted like they were not very good on road. I ended up paying $110.00 after taxes, and with free delivery for the Dunlop D605s that I ordered, by using the coupon code. This link is from Amazon at the DSports I was concidering, in case someone else want them. https://www.amazon.com/Tusk-Dsport%C...s%2C437&sr=8-1

Old 02-26-2024, 04:49 PM   #4

Just curious, why not go tubeless?
Triumph Legend TT 900

Old 02-26-2024, 05:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weresquatch View Post
I have seen these type things on Amazon, https://www.amazon.com/Tubliss-Nuete...s%2C963&sr=8-1 didn't think they would be fit for the road, and I know they sell a device called a mouse, or mouse, or something like that. I know some try to use certain tapes, and glues to make the rim airtight. I would rather have a tubeless tire, because it would be possible to plug , instead of having to patch, or replace a tube in the middle of nowhere. I just didn't figure there were any real proven methods of making the rim reliably airtight enough, because not many have did it.

Old 02-26-2024, 05:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weresquatch View Post
Spokes

And that is a good pair of DSports you were lookin at Bill. What off roaders complain about is that DSPORT is not soft enough. It is a hardass carcass, good for repelling inner tube pinches and thorns. But it is a close spaced knobby, and I have one this rear tire on my Storm and Templar. I like the pavement performance. It has a wide flat center surface with close blocks. Works pretty well. But it is definitely more off road oriented than the Dunlops you got. I wouldn't push either of these tires on the road though!

Old 02-26-2024, 06:01 PM   #7

Even with spokes though, you could put a stiff rim liner over the spoke heads. I would think the hardest part is getting it to seal depending on the stock rim/sidewall....probably too much of a pain though. Maybe I'll do it once I wear out the stock tires.
Triumph Legend TT 900

Old 02-26-2024, 09:06 PM   #8

Tusk sells tubes 2mm thick. Would that be a good choice ? There are a lot of 3mm, and even 4mm ultra duty tubed out there, but I don't know how thick, and heavy is too thick and heavy, for a bike that sees a variety of roads from choppy gravel to main roads, that I will run 55-60 on .