Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2023, 12:26 AM   #1

LF161-FMJ clutch issue

I'm not sure if this is an actual problem or just a feature. I've got 1,500km on my Skygo King 150 so the initial break in is over. Because I'm in the Philippines it was sold with the Asian instead of the US shift pattern (N+ 5 down) I've spent fifty years shifting US pattern and my left foot is a slow learner. To agravate matters further the pattern is a circle rather than a range. Click past 5th and you're in neutral again. One more click puts you in first.

A couple if times I found myself in Asian urban traffic, motionless or close to it, with the transmission in one of the higher gears. Figuring it was quicker to replace a burned clutch than heal after getting run over I attempted to slip the clutch while feeding in throttle until I at least got to a safer position where I could sort things out.

Maybe I was too hot on the throttle or maybe the bike just wasn't having none of that. The result was a squeal from the gear case and zero forward motion. After stomping on the poor thing until I found a lower gear it took off normally. At this point there doesn't seem to be any lasting damage. There isn't any noticable slippage during normal take off and acceleration. I've changed the oil since then but what I drained out didn't have a scorched clutch odor. Just to be on the safe side I ordered a new set of friction disks and a set of heavy duty clutch springs ($7 total including shipping)

I intend to continue running what's in there until I have some actual reason to open that cover. That would be the annual oil filter clean out unless something happens sooner. I guess what I want to ask is, has anybody else had this happen and whether it's an actual problem or just a feature?