Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2023, 11:39 AM   #1

Titling tribulations :-0

Re my 1972 Honda CT90, The Carrot.

I bought this bike from the PO with a bill of sale only. It had belonged to his brother who had passed away. The bike went to the PO, and the title was not locatable.

Went to DMV to title The Tomahto, which was no prob and cheap. I then brought up the situation about The Carrot. She responded that the PO would have to do a title search. I said that had already been done, with negative results. She then said the PO would have to go through probate court. IE, I can't myself just apply for a new title. This pissed me off. There is no way I am gonna put the 84 YO geezer through all this Bravo Sierra. He would probably be willing, because he is a good guy, but still.

Plan A: Just go to a different DMV branch with bill of sale, property tax payment receipts and checkbook. Attempt to apply for a new title.

Plan B: I have heard that it is easy to get a title from Vermont if all you have is a bill of sale. Even for out-of-staters. Anyone know about this?

Plan C: Just say F it, and either just keep it as spare parts (some of which I may sell off), or do a dirt-bike-only build as I had planned, but not sell it.

Please provide your collective wisdom below.
1969 Honda CT90--The Tomahto
Cheesy is the WDK (workplace drama king). Now retired. Nope, back in the saddle.
Climate: The Movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A24fWmNA6lM
How our government really works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjadCd0VRBw
Question all authority.....think for yourself

Last edited by TominMO; 02-03-2023 at 12:17 PM.

Old 02-03-2023, 12:37 PM   #2

Sounds like CA. The honest answer? It all depends on who you get on the other side of the counter at DMV
My brother went through this with our Yamaha Enduro project. I got it from a ranch. It was rough but complete. No bill of sale or any paperwork, whatsoever. Every person he spoke with at DMV gave him different answers and different paperwork to complete.
He finally got ahold of one lady who handed him a form to complete and asked him to bring it in for a VIN Verification. Viola! Title in hand. It seems one out of every 10 counter people know what do actually do.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 02-03-2023, 01:53 PM   #3

Illannoy, too. It was such a cluster with my Solexes that I gave up. I'm getting ready to go toe to toe with my state rep about it with regards to unregistered e-bikes that can run circles around my Phrench Pharts.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 02-03-2023, 06:19 PM   #4

See if they will allow you to get a bonded title in MO. You post a Surety bond in case of any future claims to the title. Cost me around $100 to bond my Honda S90.