Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2022, 09:52 PM   #1

Who carries extra gasoline, and in what container?

I took a ride across a long ridge (Foster Ridge) that leads into the next county over, and ended up in unfamiliar territory. I came to another long ridge (Jim Ridge) that I knew lead back into familiar territory, but I knew it would take me out on a main road about 15 miles from home. I was thinking that if I went the opposite direction it would lead me back towards Gunville Ridge, which I knew would be a shorter way home, Well I was wrong, and went several miles in the wrong direction, and when I saw the homes getting closer together I knew I was lost. I saw a guy out, and he said I was in Putnam County. He said that I should turn, and go back the other way. I was worried about running out of gas, but didn't. The gauge on my TBR7 reads empty sooner than it should, and I never even had to use reserve, but the incident made me want to be able to carry spare gas. I had already thought about a gallon oil jug, because the actual small gas cans are so expensive. I happen across some small metal 32 ounce bottles of 90octane , ethanol free gas that was on clearance at Walmart , and even though it was still $3.75 if I remember right, I figured it was like paying $2.50 for the can. I only bought one, but may buy another . Have any of you carried extra fuel in oil jugs? Or do you know of better options.

Old 09-19-2022, 09:56 PM   #2

I've used a quart oil jug on occasion.

Old 09-19-2022, 10:31 PM   #3

I use an aluminum bottle made to hold camp stove fuel.

Old 09-20-2022, 07:07 AM   #4

Like Mudflap, I carry a liter of fuel in a burrito tube. I've been doing it for years because the Magician holds less than 2 gal. I had to use the reserve twice before I added the burrito tube. I've had to use the gas in it twice since then. It gives me at least 15 more miles.

2016 Magician 250

Old 09-20-2022, 07:40 PM   #5

Last year i went riding, i saw i'm going to just ride to anywhere...
It happens than in anywhere it was quite windy, not side wind or in the back, but in the front..
I knew my motorcycle could do 300 km per tanks, but thanks to the winds and that i was forcing the engine it only did 200...
Lucky me there was a gas station near.

Since that day if i'm going to ride to some place unknown, i carry a can.

Name:  Clipboard01.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  240.8 KB

8 liters and it's easy to mount in the motorcycle.

Old 09-21-2022, 11:17 AM   #6

This guy looks to be new to the TT250 game and has posted a few videos. Gas can mod, and he cited Trevor over on the Trerackscity Moto channel as the inspiration.

Old 09-21-2022, 12:13 PM   #7

Since my RXB250L has a fuel tank about the size of a shot glass (1.8 gallons usable capacity) and its reserve is absolutely useless (you get roughly 1-2 miles out of switching the petcock to "reserve") I always carry extra fuel. In normal daily life I have two 30 ounce MSR aluminum fuel bottles, one on either side. If I'm going far afield I have a 1.3 gallon fake Rotopax style fuel can I keep on the rear luggage rack.

Old 09-21-2022, 12:54 PM   #8

That gas can mount is nicely done! Simple, effective, cheap.
1969 Honda CT90--The Tomahto
Cheesy is the WDK (workplace drama king). Now retired. Nope, back in the saddle.
Climate: The Movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A24fWmNA6lM
How our government really works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjadCd0VRBw
Question all authority.....think for yourself

Old 09-22-2022, 09:05 PM   #9

Back when I had my CT90s (1.5ish gallon capacity), I would take a gatorade bottle on long rides. Those 32 ounces could get me 20 miles or so. Pretty sturdy plastic too. Would I solve the problem that way today? Definitely not, but I honestly never had an issue

Currently:
2021 TT250
1981 XL 185 project
2003 Buell Blast P3 (for sale)

Formerly:
1986 Suzuki GS450
1979 Suzuki GS400
1968 Honda CT90
1974 Suzuki TS250
1978 Honda XL175
1997 Suzuki GS500E

Old 09-23-2022, 09:58 PM   #10

You do understand that the TBR7 carries nearly 3.5 gallons of fuel??

I get 60 MPG (Not speedo klicks) out of mine and if yours does the same that would give you 200 miles range on a tank (300 klicks metric on the speedo).

Not many places in the eastern US where you can go 200 miles between gas stations.

Old 09-24-2022, 01:39 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by krat View Post

Not many places in the eastern US where you can go 200 miles between gas stations.
I think the issue/concern for most guys isn't when they are on the street, but in the woods. Otherwise, I agree with you 100% It isn't like aroubd the central and western part of my state, or some regions in the Rockies where there are stretches that can potentially not have fuel for 150 to 200 miles. Even in those areas, I have never run out of fuel on a bike, because after 150 miles or so of riding, my legs and behind could use a breather, and I never pass up a fuel station in BFE if I am at half a tank or less.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 09-24-2022, 09:10 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
I think the issue/concern for most guys isn't when they are on the street, but in the woods. Otherwise, I agree with you 100% It isn't like aroubd the central and western part of my state, or some regions in the Rockies where there are stretches that can potentially not have fuel for 150 to 200 miles. Even in those areas, I have never run out of fuel on a bike, because after 150 miles or so of riding, my legs and behind could use a breather, and I never pass up a fuel station in BFE if I am at half a tank or less.
Yeah, I actually live within 6 miles of gas stations, but I don't always go into town when I ride, and I don't always have a full tank when I leave. The situation that I mentioned in the original post in this thread is just an example of me going on a ride on a whim, and going further than anticipated. I can't remember exactly how much gas I got when I did fill up afterwards, but I am thinking it was about 2.3 gallon. I want to have extra fuel on board for the peace of mind, because as I stated ,the fuel gauge reads nearly empty way too soon.

Old 09-25-2022, 02:25 AM   #13

I'll bet you know exactly how far your car will go after it hits empty!

Give your bike the same consideration and remember that the fuel gauge is just a decoration added to motorbikes a couple of decades ago. I doubt there is an accurate one anywhere. I have four in the shed and not one of them is "accurate" if you think empty means empty.

Until fairly recently your petcock functioned as your gas gauge. You ran it until it stopped then turned on the reserve and went to a station.

I also remember a lot of sloshing the tank back and forth using the ear as a fuel gauge, and a couple of guys that used sticks to check their fuel level.

Old 09-25-2022, 07:34 AM   #14

Also leaning the bike way over to one side to get gas from the non-petcock side over to where it could be used. Since many/most bikes didn't have equalizer tubes. Carrying extra gas is in effect giving you two reserves.
1969 Honda CT90--The Tomahto
Cheesy is the WDK (workplace drama king). Now retired. Nope, back in the saddle.
Climate: The Movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A24fWmNA6lM
How our government really works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjadCd0VRBw
Question all authority.....think for yourself

Old 09-25-2022, 12:01 PM   #15

Carrying extra gas I think can be important in remote areas and only the foolish or shall we say the ultra adventurous go there knowingly without careful analysis of fuel requirements. Especially important if you ride alone. Carrying extra gas is also the ultimate insurance against an unidentified (until to late) gas leak or a ruptured gas tank from a drop. That is also why I would not carry a large tank on the side because it will get eventually whacked (at least in my riding world). It works on the tail rack but does change the bike handling some. Two small fuel bottles also seems a good solution. I recently got a 3/4 gal tank I think a good compromise. They have come down in price a good bit recently.