Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2022, 07:51 PM   #1

Considering an Apollo DB-36, first bike ever. What should I know?

I've been looking at dual sport/Enduro bikes, but I'm also down to get a straight dirtbike and then just add lights/mirrors etc. PowerSportsMax has the Apollo in stock, so does Amazon.

What's weird is some listings say it has a 229cc engine, others a 250cc. Hoping it's the latter.

Another thing I'm a bit confused by, I'm a bigger/heavier guy, does this offer adjustable suspension? I see it says "rear adjustable shock" is that all I'd need? The bike says it's rated for 440 lb, which I'm def not that big so I would think I'm fine.

Lastly, as far as mods go, hoping the bike has potential to be messed with enough to get it up to 70-75 mph. I would say I'll prob be off-road a lot with this, but also use it to drive on the roads to get where the off-road stuff begins. Has anyone found a bigger gas tank that can fit?

Old 07-24-2022, 01:36 AM   #2

its 229 cc for sure, 250 is its brand but the engine is a zongshen and its 229 cc. getting to 70-75 is possible see Henner motorsports for engine and timing mods and prob change out the sprockets for taller gearing. The bike is ok for trails but maintenance is a must and on assembly you want to use locktite liberally, and/or plus disassemble shit and locktite those too. If you want more durability scrap the chinesium bolts and head to the local hardware for some grade 8 bolts. I am speaking from experience with the the db 36 bike.

Old 07-24-2022, 05:58 PM   #3

Hello just buy a Honda,never going to get to 70 with a china bike. 229cc only,mine runs great but its no Honda 62 mph TBR7. might go faster,but don't think it would last long doing that. just my 2 cents.

Old 07-25-2022, 11:29 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz View Post
Hello just buy a Honda,never going to get to 70 with a china bike. 229cc only,mine runs great but its no Honda 62 mph TBR7. might go faster,but don't think it would last long doing that. just my 2 cents.
The off-road Apollos seem to have a bit more power than the on-road bikes since they have different requirements for certification (EPA certified as an 'Off-road dirtbike' vs. EPA/DOT certified as an 'On highway motorcycle'). Chinese bikes are good first bikes vs. Hondas mainly for cost reasons. If one is financing a new Honda and making payments vs. paying cash for an Apollo, beating up the Apollo is not as big of a deal--way less guilt dropping the Chinese bike. In that respect, Chinese bikes serve a good purpose, not to mention using these forums, one can maintain and repair their bike from the advice of fellow members.

But, yes, there are advantages to buying a new or used brand-name bike, like a Honda (a Yamaha, Kawasaki, or Suzuki are also good, but the Honda is probably the best for a brand new rider) because they are theoretical far more forgiving and not as prone to having little issues and needing adjustments (e.g. losing nuts and bolts all the time) as much as a Chinese bike does. There are trade-offs, of course, but a bike like an Apollo is still a good learning bike.

Re-think the 70-75 mph requirement for any dirt bike as far as being a new rider. Why do you feel the need to be reaching those speeds?

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard