Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2022, 03:17 AM   #1

Can anyone suggest chains and sprockets and bark busters they like?

I’m getting ready to do that 4000 mile maintenance soon.

Ordering tires. Tubes. Trying to figure out valve adjustment. Cleaning air filter.

Part of this maintenance I will replace the sprockets and chain. I found out the chain is an 08MC x 128 chain. Can anyone suggest to me some of their favorite, high-quality versions of the following?

*128 link chain appropriate for the xpect with some simple master link. I’ve seen some where you screw in little screws. Maybe a clip would be ok. Carrying around a breaker seems not as good as other systems. What is your suggestion?

*sprockets. It doesn’t look like you can order a front sprocket from KP Moto club. Just the rear. So, I figure I will get to aftermarket sprockets. I would like to keep the same stock gear ratio. Better for off-road. Any suggestions on which set to get? I heard it’s difficult to fit the front one. I would like one that fits just as easily as stock.

* Bark busters. I’m not sure if I have the term correct. The things that protect your hands and levers from tree limbs or going down and bending a lever in the dirt. I’m buying a new brake lever finally, not that I even need one, because I use two fingers. However, bending that brake lever several months ago shows me that I could have broken the front brake completely if I weren’t so lucky on that time that I dumped it in the sand. So I would like to put a nice looking set on the handlebars. To protect the levers. Any suggestions? Which ones you like? That will fit my bike?

*mirrors. The stock mirrors are $25 for a set. Does anyone have some aftermarket ones they like? The stock mirrors are also round. It seems like modern mirrors are shaped with all sorts of weird angles and stuff. I cracked my right mirror with the same drop of the bike that bent the brake lever. Just to be a perfectionist, I was going to replace the mirror also. But they come in a pair. So I might as well upgrade to some pair that looks cooler. Any suggestions on this one?

A bit nervous to ask these questions, because last time I asked basic questions like this, I got no answers, and then I got reamed out for not knowing the answer to my question. I hope that doesn’t happen with this thread.

Old 03-31-2022, 06:33 AM   #2

I bought my chain and sprockets from Ebay. best price I could find that the seller helped with my 16f 45r request when asked...

My mirrors and bark busters are from Aliexpress.

My only advice is get bark busters that have a full metal spine (not the solid plastic type) and do not have crab claw camps but pipe clamp style clamps in the specific handlebar diameter...not the universal both handlebar sizes.

Most of the bark busters under $50 will more or less all be the same maybe with different styles of clamps /colors and maybe some branding stickers. They will protect levers on the occasional drop....but are not fit for enduro racing.

my mirrors are are just the cheapest 10mm threaded, fold in/adjustable, round type I could get for my road worthy requirements...

other styles are available just get what you fancy with the correct mounting thread size.

I don't know if your bike uses standard 10mm mirror mounts...but they can also be purchased from ebay/aliexpress

if they fall and break its not expensive to replace.... But I doubt they'll hold up in rough terrain at which point i'd just remove them anyway...

I understand perhaps you don't want to wait or use online store/sellers. however buying direct from a walk in store there is a pretty good chance they're just selling you the same products at middle men mark up prices...

But if it's mom and pop brick and mortar shop then by all means support local businesses

Old 03-31-2022, 07:52 AM   #3

Thank you!

No, online sources are great actually. I’m nowhere near any stores. Out in the middle of nowhere.

I’m actually looking to purchase this stuff online exclusively.

Old 03-31-2022, 08:14 AM   #4

I'm not sure what the type of rear sprocket your bike uses, my xl185 uses the old cush hub 4 stud mount and retaining circle clip. So can't help much there...

But front sprockets are plentiful from the usual online sources.

As for tires. I just went with a national/state motorcycle tire warehouse online distributor. (I'm in Australia so cant really make any recommendations)

They typically have a search by size function then just narrow down your options and needs.

Tubes...I spent extra on Heavy Duty. and purchased at the same place as the tires to save on shipping.

Old 03-31-2022, 08:30 AM   #5

I don't know anything about Lifan , but suspect a lot of the parts will exchange with other china bikes CSCMOTORCYCLES.COM has the best website. Amazon has a lot of chains and sprockets. 08MC makes no sense to me as far as chain sizes go. Most of these bikes use a 428 or 520 (may be stamped on sprocket). You'll also need tooth count of the sprockets. If they are the same as Hawk I can get you the JT part numbers.
To whoever stole my anti-depressants.
I Hope Your Happy !

Old 03-31-2022, 08:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLsior View Post
I'm not sure what the type of rear sprocket your bike uses, my xl185 uses the old cush hub 4 stud mount and retaining circle clip. So can't help much there...

But front sprockets are plentiful from the usual online sources.

As for tires. I just went with a national/state motorcycle tire warehouse online distributor. (I'm in Australia so cant really make any recommendations)

They typically have a search by size function then just narrow down your options and needs.

Tubes...I spent extra on Heavy Duty. and purchased at the same place as the tires to save on shipping.
Thank you. I will check about those sprockets. I was looking at getting a paired set, it doesn’t appear that they have the front sprocket at my source. KP Moto club. It looks like they only have the rear. So I was going to buy a matched set online somewhere. From the same manufacturer. So everything is nice and similar.

For tires, I’m just getting the stock tires again. They did fine. 4000 miles. They worked off road. They worked really well on road. Something like a 50-50 tire I guess. And then I have some Michelin heavy duty tubes that I bought before. I was going to just use those in the tires. Is there some kind of strap thing that I need to replace inside? I have seen a strap that goes around it looks like it protects the tube from the termination of the spokes. Is that something you replace each time?

Old 03-31-2022, 08:55 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol,fart View Post
I don't know anything about Lifan , but suspect a lot of the parts will exchange with other china bikes CSCMOTORCYCLES.COM has the best website. Amazon has a lot of chains and sprockets. 08MC makes no sense to me as far as chain sizes go. Most of these bikes use a 428 or 520 (may be stamped on sprocket). You'll also need tooth count of the sprockets. If they are the same as Hawk I can get you the JT part numbers.
That’s a good call about looking for the size stamped on the sprocket. Good idea.

I actually, for the first time today, noticed that the alternate room dimensions are located on my rim. It shows the other, less standard tire sizing. It’s stamped right on the front rim. The sun just caught it right the other day.

Old 03-31-2022, 09:13 AM   #8

I like Tusk D-FLEX Pro Hand Guards. I installed them on 2 of my 3 TT250's. I have a set to install on my daughter's TT250. I got the 7/8" handlebar size.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...o-handguards-p
2021 CSC TT250 - White (Daughter's) "Gemini"

Old 03-31-2022, 09:40 AM   #9

Rim tape might need to be replaced not expensive based on size of rim. Not advised to run a tube on bare spoke nuts.

New tubes might not be needed, but if you're putting on new rubber might as well get spare tubes...I only use puncture repair kits in an emergency.

The Shinko (old Yokahama) 244's seems to get the best budget all round 50/50 tire consensus similar to the Kenda 270 so whatever is cheaper/available.

I'm running Dunlop 605 front and rear as it was period correct for my bike but I would not hesitate to get the 244s or 270s if the price is right.

Also you're going to need a set of Tire spoons and maybe a bit a talcum powder if you plan on fitting the tires yourself.

Old 03-31-2022, 09:44 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLsior View Post
Rim tape might need to be replaced not expensive based on size of rim. Not advised to run a tube on bare spoke nuts.

New tubes might not be needed, but if you're putting on new rubber might as well get spare tubes...I only use puncture repair kits in an emergency.

The Shinko (old Yokahama) 244's seems to get the best budget all round 50/50 tire consensus similar to the Kenda 270 so whatever is cheaper/available.

I'm running Dunlop 605 front and rear as it was period correct for my bike but I would not hesitate to get the 244s or 270s if the price is right.

Also you're going to need a set of Tire spoons and maybe a bit a talcum powder if you plan on fitting the tires yourself.

I have the spoons, I have the tire juice, I have all of that from going on long rides in the middle of nowhere with this bike. Just for emergency purposes. But I have absolutely no practice changing the tires. I have never done it before.

So, I figure for self-sufficiency, I’m going to have to bite the bullet and change these myself. I just hope they balance OK. Originally, the bike did not go so well at 55 mph. It felt like you were going to crash. Lol after I got some work done on my front rim because I bent it in a carrier rack, they put some weights on to balance it. And it rides so perfectly smoothly. I’m hoping I don’t wreck that.

Old 03-31-2022, 09:44 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunnicutt View Post
I like Tusk D-FLEX Pro Hand Guards. I installed them on 2 of my 3 TT250's. I have a set to install on my daughter's TT250. I got the 7/8" handlebar size.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...o-handguards-p

Thank you for the tip! From what I understand, task seems to make some of the best stuff. I will definitely look into these in my bar size.

Old 03-31-2022, 11:08 AM   #12

I'm curious to find out what you learn regarding rear sprockets. Finding the front one is easy, but it's less clear what fits on the rear.

I wanted a sealed chain, so I upgraded to this JT one. It's 128 links, so it dropped right in. All I had to do was install the master link.

I haven't had it on too long, but it's working fine and the build quality appeared to be better than the stock unsealed chain. The JT chain had links that were riveted four times. The stock chain had links that were only riveted twice.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 03-31-2022, 11:10 AM   #13

Also, if you're interested in getting handlebar risers, the Tusk ones from Rocky Mountain fit perfectly. I installed them on my X-Pect. Pics in this thread.

https://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=30347

Old 03-31-2022, 11:19 AM   #14

Boatguy, check out pages 4 and 5 of my thread for sprocket info, starting with post #55:
http://www.chinariders.net/showthrea...t=29655&page=4
1969 Honda CT90--The Tomahto
Cheesy is the WDK (workplace drama king). Now retired. Nope, back in the saddle.
Climate: The Movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A24fWmNA6lM
How our government really works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjadCd0VRBw
Question all authority.....think for yourself

Old 03-31-2022, 11:42 AM   #15

*128 link chain - I WAS a big fan of Unibear chains. Inexpensive and seemed built real well with four peens per link......and they are for the first while, but man, once they start to wear, you're adjusting almost every ride. Steer clear. DID is always a great chain. I'm going to try the Niche next, as an inexpensive alternate. After all, these bikes don't put out savage HP.

*sprockets - I always order my JT Sprockets through Amazon.

* Bark busters - For my lighter duty bikes, I like the Acerbis Uniko. Cheap and work well, but NO metal bar. They work great against bugs, light branches, etc. On my DRZ I have the Tusk D-Flex. Super nice units.

*mirrors - I put these on about everything. Cheap and don't buzz much. Plus they mostly stick out past my shoulders.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

"A bit nervous to ask these questions, because last time I asked basic questions like this, I got no answers, and then I got reamed out......"

This is total BS and should never have happened here. We're here to help, not flame.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350