Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2022, 08:55 PM   #1

Question RXB-250L thoughts?

Decision time again for me and i need a bit of clarity of thought from you guys?

So first off i started out unsure of the China bike thing and did not want to spend too much money so my first purchase was a 2019 TBR7 in white. I found i did enjoy riding and exploring my local area trails. A year into the bike my neighbor really wanted my bike and wanted to give me almost what i paid for it and at this point i had a pretty good idea what i wanted in my next china bike which was:
a better fuel cap (tbr always leaked a little when full)
Better front forks ( even after spacers plus thicker oil mods it was only ok)
Digital instrument cluster (could have upgraded but never got around to it)
Knobby tires (the 50/50 tires were great on road but every time i hit mud or snow down i went (low side).

So i sold the TBR , did my homework and purchased a tan Brozz Recon from peace sports (very happy with them and the bike). This bike was exactly what i needed so the only thing i found lacking was power so i did all the mods :
Shaved and ported head
4 Degree timing key
Full exhast system
Carb and jetting to suit
Cam plus roller rockers

Changed the rear sprocket down 4 teeth (first gear still usable off road but a little lower rpms when i have to hit the asphalt.

The comfortable top speed of the bike is 68 mph sitting upright so speeds up to 65 are doable but i want to do more adventure rides to further destinations.

Now one of my co workers wants to give me top dollar for the Brozz and i find myself looking at the RXB250L ?

I see 249 cc plus 6 speed plus 19.5 hp (can i still maintain a short 1st gear but cruise at 70 or 75 if needed with the 6th gear?)
Fuel tank is still close to 3 gals
18/21 with aluminum rims and swing arm
Potentially better adjustable suspension ?
30lb weight saving

Is there a big bore kit available or other mods to get a bit more out of the engine if and when the time comes

Dont get me wrong i am happy with the Brozz but lighter with 6 speeds and more potential power is appealing right now.

What are your thoughts?

Old 02-26-2022, 09:31 PM   #2

Here is a nice little thread with some opinions about that Orion.
http://chinariders.net/showthread.ph...light=RXB-250L

Old 02-26-2022, 09:40 PM   #3

I have one. It's a very different beast from the various CG derived bikes we're used to. The RXB's design philosophy is definitely along the lines of a dirt bike with blinkers on. Lighter weight and more power are definitely the headline features. However, this is relative to other Chinese bikes. The RXB still can't hold a candle in that regard to the Japanese bikes, particularly the KLX300 and DRZ400, both of which are in addition to being less crude than the RXB off road, considerably more capable on road as well (especially the DRZ).

The RXB has "better" suspension than the Hawk, Brozz, Storm, Enforcer, etc. but it's still pretty archaic. The claim of "19.5" horsepower is likely also somewhat optimistic. It has no creature comforts. The seat may as well be a plank of wood. The switchgear is flimsy and incomplete. There's no kill switch. The headlight is absolutely atrocious bordering on useless. The kickstand is awful. The exhaust is deafening. If you want a better fuel cap, the one on the RXB doesn't even lock. The "upgraded" digital dash is literally a yum-cha generic unit you can buy on Amazon for $30. There's no kick start. And probably biggest of all, there is virtually no aftermarket support unlike the various Hawk-alikes.

The updated for 2021 design -- and likely the 2022 and forward models -- appear to ditch all the parts compatibility with whatever KTM models Nicot had knocked off for the previous model years. Pretty much all of the aftermarket stuff that used to cross over with KTM models no longer does. So all the excellent research that members here have done in finding fuel tanks, plastics, sprockets, etc. that fit goes right out the window. Thus far the only thing I'm fairly confident in fitting is KTM front fenders. Everything else is bespoke, which puts you at the mercy of Orion to obtain replacement parts and Orion is well documented to be a terrible excuse for an importer when it comes to customer support.

That said, the headline is definitely the weight and power. Did I say that already? It probably bears repeating. If what you want is a dirt bike with blinkers, and you want a 250 that's actually arguably a 250 that even with its possibly fabricated horsepower figure puts down a *lot* of power for a Chinese bike, stuffed into a frame that has the handling characteristics of a bicycle... If you plan to spend almost all of your time off road and never sit on that awful seat, but still need it to have a license plate, the RXB250L just might be your ticket. You make a lot of sacrifices to get there, though.

I like my RXB250L. If I had to do it all again -- and I weren't doing it during a once in a lifetime global pandemic that made all the supply evaporate and prices go through the roof -- I would have bought a KLX300. But for my purposes the RXB is just fine and I think it's a blast within its fairly narrow intended application.

You asked about power. Mine will *just* hold 70 with the stock gearing. As usual the stock speedometer overreports your speed noticeably. At 70 MPH real world ground speed it reads like 76 on the dash. You're at pretty high RPM's doing so. However, up to about 60 you have a surprising amount of power to pull some acceleration out of the hat even up hills and even in high gears. If anything, and especially if you're going to have it on the street any, it could probably do with a slightly smaller sprocket in the back and still have no issue tractoring around in 1st gear.

For what it's worth, back in the fall I had to escape a road rager in an Impala and I did not have the power to outrun him. I had to go off road to avoid getting run over. That was a little harrowing given that my usual daily rides are either a KLR650 or an FZ6R...

Old 02-27-2022, 09:39 AM   #4

Thanks @zero dgz for your first hand insight and to @wheelbender6 for the link. I had not even considered the comfort side of traveling longer distances. The Brozz is quite comfortable for some of the longer ride days i have done.
Truth is i was looking at the KLX 300 and the CFR300L but did not want to spend 6K plus all the mark-up fees (some saying the OTD price around 8K).

I did purchase a 2003 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 and stripped off a lot of the dead weight including the front fairing assy. I added a skid plate and engine guards and fitted TKC80's front and rear. With the removal of some weight plus the addition of protection weight she weighs in right at 500lbs .

The v-Strom has more than ample power and comfort to cover the distances to find new places but its no bike to explore single track as it feels heavier than 500lbs (its top heavy)
And its big.

I guess like many people i want a goldilocks bike which came and went 20-30 years ago, thinking DR350/6 speed. XT350/6 speed and XR350/6 speed all had around 30hp so 75 MPH stints were possible and weight of around 300 lbs.

Thanks again
Paul

Old 02-27-2022, 11:10 AM   #5

I've also been eyeing the Orion bikes, but I don't think they have EPA certification or a FMVSS label, so you can't register them in some places for road use. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's correct.

I'm waiting for the new Lifan KPX 250 to be released. It has a much more advanced engine and suspension than the X-Pect 200, but shouldn't have the same registration challenges as the Orion.

I have an X-Pect and it has a label saying it's EPA certified and meets all FMVSS rules, which means it should be able to be registered pretty much anywhere. Except maybe CA if it turns out to be 49-state legal.

Last edited by KSSK; 02-27-2022 at 09:52 PM.

Old 02-27-2022, 11:25 AM   #6

I think the EPA status is a big reason that you don't see more Orions on this site.
Most members don't want to spend that kind of money when they are not sure it can be licensed on their streets.

Post a thread about that modded V-Strom in the Other Makes section.
To me, its always interesting to see how much weight you can safely strip from larger bikes.

Old 02-27-2022, 11:52 AM   #7

That's a good point. The RXB250L definitely does not have an FMVSS label. There is a label in its place, but it is not compliant. It only lists the "manufacturer" as Orion (which isn't, the bikes are made by Nicot), the year, the VIN, displacement, and the engine number.

I was able to register it but your mileage may vary.

Old 02-27-2022, 02:25 PM   #8

@wheelbender6, i had not thought to share the V-Strom 1000 build on this site but will give it a go.
It is currently taken apart to to prep and paint the bodywork and tank. The tank is red and the side panels and front fender are black. I am going to paint those parts desert tan (think Brozz Recon and Moto Guzzi 850 TT).

Old 02-27-2022, 07:31 PM   #9

Funny, I asked the “person” online at Orion, (I say that because they don’t offer a phone number for you to speak to someone, so this soul typing to me could be a man, or woman.) if their new bike is built by Nicot? Their response of, “Who is Nicot??!??”, says plenty…….
Stay away. Life is tough enough without buying a $3000 migraine. The bike itself may be good, but God help you with their customer service. The GPX FSE 250S is also built by Nicot, but I understand GPX is really straight forward folks that care. However, their bike is a good chunk more expensive…….. You’re are finding yourself in a sweet spot of choices for a new ride, and unfortunately, the dollar starts heading north real fast! Best of luck, but if my money to spend, no way on earth Orion gets a cent from me. Lifan, and CSC get my family’s money on China rides. I’m fully backed long after the sale, parts are plentiful, great prices. Support is insanely great, not a worry have I had!

Old 02-27-2022, 07:48 PM   #10

Or save some coin and get an XPro Titan DLX which is the old RXB230L minus adjustable suspension. Only a 5 speed but lighter than the Hawk/TBR/Brozz and much more offroad oriented. They run around $1800 shipped.

Former China Bikes: Tao DBX1, Brozz 250, CSC RX4, Titan DLX, Templar X

Old 02-27-2022, 09:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tknj99 View Post
Or save some coin and get an XPro Titan DLX which is the old RXB230L minus adjustable suspension. Only a 5 speed but lighter than the Hawk/TBR/Brozz and much more offroad oriented. They run around $1800 shipped.
Good call!, I never even remembered that bike….. That would be a good option for sure

Old 02-28-2022, 08:22 AM   #12

Have you thought about a CSC RX-3 or RX-4? The stock tires can be swapped out for more off-road capable tread. I'm thinking a 50/50 tire would suit your needs.
2021 CSC TT250 - White (Daughter's) "Gemini"