Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2022, 12:15 PM   #1

2020 Bashan Brozz Recon Build Thread

I'm new to this forum and new to China bikes... however not new to modding and upgrading parts on things with motors. This thread will be my way of keeping track of what I've done with my 2020 Bashan Brozz Recon. Feel free to tag along for the ride!

The bike: 2020 Bashan Brozz 250 Recon in Desert Tan. Bought slightly used with 341 miles on it. It sat for over a year as the previous owner didn't ride it much. Battery was dead, but it kicked over just fine. Ran good, no damage, and I got a good deal on it.

It came exactly as it would from PeaceSports. So I'm starting with a bone stock version. It did have the rear rack already, which I think was an option.

Last edited by A Good Balance; 06-24-2022 at 09:34 PM.

Old 01-21-2022, 12:22 PM   #2

I put about 100 miles on it first two days after getting it home. I couldn't resist taking it for a spin even tho temps were mid 40's-50. Overall it was a thrill to ride and I'm sold on this little thing. Scouring the Youtube's and forums for several weeks prior, I already had a list of parts in mind but wanted to see what the bike was like in stock form.

Below is the list of Mods I either have done or have on the list to do. This post will be edited as things progress. Bold mods are ones that are done, and the hyperlink will take you to the post within this thread.

Mod list:
-Sealed Battery
-Redo Battery Ground wires and install trickle connection
-LED brake light that blinks
-quality 50/50 or 70/30 tires
-tank bag
-rear storage box for overnight trips
-Niche 428 Gold chain with X-ring seals, 128 link
-upgrade handlebars + handleguards
-upgrade shifter lever

-upgraded carb with jets or stock carb with upgraded jets
-full exhaust

Last edited by A Good Balance; 06-24-2022 at 09:20 PM.

Old 01-21-2022, 12:37 PM   #3

First thing on the list was sorting out the battery. Having to kick start it isn't as graceful in a parking lot while on-lookers are checking you out. But it did the job for testing riding it around.

As is well known around the forum with these bikes, they are shipped with horrendous batteries. So I wasn't surprised when the seller said his battery wont hold a charge. I knew that would be the first thing I'll replace anyways so after some quick research online I bought the Weize YT7B-BS AGM battery for $22 on Amazon. It has plenty of juice for start ups and 6.5aH for running accessories. Having it sealed is also a major plus and I couldn't resist it at $22.

For the future I will upgrade further to a lithium battery. You can't beat that lithium punch in such a smaller and lighter package. But the ones I saw were close to $80-100 and I wasn't pulling that trigger just yet. I figured I'd get a cheaper battery so I could test the wiring and make sure there weren't major drains that killed the first battery, before sinking money into a lithium battery.

Old 01-21-2022, 12:41 PM   #4

Second on the list was upgrading the ground wires running from the battery to the starter and starter to capacitor I think it is (the small canister by the battery).

Read somewhere that it helps eliminate drains by upgrading those wires so I made some 10ga ground wires myself and replaced those. Easy hour tinkering for some peace of mind.

Old 01-21-2022, 12:51 PM   #5

Brake light upgrade was next. I consider this a safety upgrade more than anything. I found a Youtube video of someone installing this brake light and I think it's somewhat common for motorcyclists in general to use this type of bulb. Its a brighter LED brake light but when you apply the brakes it also blinks 3 times before staying on. If someone behind you isn't paying close attention that blinking will help catch their eye. If a $10 light saves a person from rear-ending me it'll be the best $10 ever spent!

The set I got was Alla Lighting 2057 1157 LED Strobe Brake Light bulbs. Came in pack of 2 lights for $20 on Amazon.

To install, it was simply removing the two screws on the rear light and popping off the red lens. Then turning the bulb lefty-loosey and replacing it with the LED. Then popping the red lens back on and two screws back in. 5 minute job at max.

Old 01-21-2022, 01:00 PM   #6

Good looking bike. I like the color.

It's hard to believe you can get a battery for $22. Wonder how long it'll last?

Which part of East TN are you in? I live a few miles from Mountain City, TN just across the NC line. Great riding for a small dual-sport.

Old 01-21-2022, 01:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
Good looking bike. I like the color.

It's hard to believe you can get a battery for $22. Wonder how long it'll last?

Which part of East TN are you in? I live a few miles from Mountain City, TN just across the NC line. Great riding for a small dual-sport.
Yeah for $22 it's better than what's in it currently (which is a dead battery lol) and its a sealed lead acid so I don't have to worry about acid coming out. So it's an improvement but nothing crazy. It's enough to let me start it with the electric start and for now that all I need. If it lasts a year or two I'd be happy. Great thing about these bikes is they kickstart even if a battery isn't connected. This makes me more comfortable taking a chance on an unreliable, cheap battery and don't have to worry about being left stranded.

I'm above Knoxville. Little ways from you but not too bad. I got a buddy down closer to Chattanooga who I will ride with on adventures. He has a Yamaha TW200

Old 01-21-2022, 05:59 PM   #8

I have the same bike. Good find. They’re a lot of fun. The rear rack is stock on the Recon. HID headlight on Amazon if you want more light. Biggest improvement for me was upgrading the foot pegs, larger main jet and better handle bars.I also installed a burrito tube for storage. I did upgrade my ground and power wires but didn’t notice a change.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 270ABC41-CE85-4B37-B25F-3395FDBD7A76.jpeg (141.7 KB, 428 views)
2022 GPX FSE 450R

Old 02-10-2022, 06:56 PM   #9

I have a 2020 orange one , its a blast. let me know what tires you decide on as i am thinking about replacing my 50/50/stock tires for riding around back roads.

Old 02-10-2022, 10:56 PM   #10

Merry Christmas! Brozz Recon was my first choice until I found the Storm for a few hundred less, and in stock mid COVID... They are practically the same, identical in many ways including the forks. I pulled one of those USD forks apart, taking photos, and it is a damping rod fork not a cartridge fork. Unfortunately, it seems the USD damping rod adaptation will not allow the addition of a Racetech cartridge emulator.

I will have much more on this soon (workin' on it), but for now, enjoy the Brozz! I will follow. Welcome to the forum.

Oh, by the way, I just got size 38 pilot jets, WAY sooner than shipping estimates. It is a two piece pilot jet and the jet half I got should be an exact fit for your carb. Yours probably has a 34 like mine did. It is a fuel jet, so bigger means more fuel, and your pilot screw will be more adjustable (after you cut a slot into it for a screwdriver!). You can buy a new carb, but the stock carb is fine, just needs needle shim and bigger main jet and bigger pilot jet, especially if you open up the exhaust. When you get the carb off and look at the numbers, post it!

Last edited by Thumper; 02-11-2022 at 07:52 AM.

Old 06-24-2022, 09:12 PM   #11

It's been a couple of months and more than 1,000 miles later. I've gained a lot of on-road experience and some gravel/dirt road experience now. Overall I absolutely love this bike and it's been getting a lot of attention from on-lookers.

Some recent updates:

1. I added a small tank bag I got off Amazon. I love the ability to store some sunglasses, gloves, and a bottle of water, but the magnets aren't strong enough for it to stay put. I've ziptied it to the handlebars as a safety measure but honestly the zip tie is holding it from flying off more than the magnets. Not sure what to do but might add some stronger magnets to see if that works.

2. Over the last 1,000 miles, the chain has been my biggest worry. I would tighten it and after 100 miles or so it would be so loose. I bought a Niche 428 Gold chain with X-ring seals in the 128 link size. Went on great and since putting about 200 miles on it already, it has not loosened a touch!

I've adjusted the list on the first post:
-I'm debating a small windscreen. I've looked around at photos from other and don;t really like the way they look on the our bikes. But the wind abuse and noise at 55-60mph is annoying on the longer trips.

-I'm going to get new handlebars soon, so I will install the handlegaurds at that point. I'm secretly hoping to have a small spill that bends my stock handlebar and "forces my hand" to buy a new one. Otherwise I can't bring myself to replace a perfectly good stock one.

-Also a full exhaust and new jets are in the future. My wife surprisingly has taken a eye to the bike and wants to go on rides! Right now I am maxing the bike out solo around 55-60 GPS mph, and with a passenger I don't want to be holding up traffic. So more power and higher top speed is my goal.

Old 06-24-2022, 09:35 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spins View Post
I have the same bike. Good find. They’re a lot of fun. The rear rack is stock on the Recon. HID headlight on Amazon if you want more light. Biggest improvement for me was upgrading the foot pegs, larger main jet and better handle bars.I also installed a burrito tube for storage. I did upgrade my ground and power wires but didn’t notice a change.
I like the burrito tube idea. How did you attach it to bike?

Old 06-24-2022, 09:47 PM   #13

I replaced the stock dual sports tires on the Bashan Storm with knobbies and ended up with about the same bike as the recon. If you find the front forks bottom out, replace the fork oil with 15w Motul or equivalent (~320mL) and the front end will be transformed to a solid suspension system. It is well designed, but might have low weight oil and not enough!

That is probably a YouALL carb. I just rejet mine and it made a big difference. Much more responsive. My rejetting is posted here on the forum.