Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2021, 02:08 PM   #1

Anybody Carry Spares for a Flat

I picked up a nail today on my rear tire. She instantly was flat with the tire starting to come off the rim. Luckily, I was about a mile from home. So I pushed it. If this had happened further away, I would have called my wife to bring the truck. Once I got it home and the tire off, I saw the tube had about a two inch gash in it. No repairing that.

I have a list of spares and tools that make sense to carry but honestly haven't gotten around to it gathering them and loading the bike. This is going to motivate me.

What are you all carrying in case of trouble on the trail or road?

Thanks, John

Old 10-13-2021, 02:20 PM   #2

no way,just ride it home

Old 10-13-2021, 02:35 PM   #3

Not riding around close to the house, with 16hp every ounce of weight counts. I’m even trying to shed a few pounds off me… As you said, wife & truck close by.
If I’m going for an all day ride, especially off road, I definitely carry stuff. Everything required to repair or replace either tube, small but good bicycle pump, allen heads for panels that may come lose, a few zip ties, some tie wire, some bungee cord, a rag or two and a bottle of water.
edit:
Now you made me look in my bag… Philips & flat head, sm/md adjustable wrench, needle nose, broken but good enough clutch lever, spare plug, plug wrench, tire valve tool, chain tool, small piece of 400 grit sandpaper. 9.2 lbs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tools.jpg (47.2 KB, 48 views)

Last edited by DualSportDude; 10-20-2021 at 08:27 PM.

Old 10-13-2021, 03:04 PM   #4

I carry a patch kit, tire irons and a small bicycle air pump. It all fits in my burrito tube. I have patch a tube out on the trails. My Hawk has a center stand so make it easy.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 10-13-2021, 03:59 PM   #5

Carrying Fix-A-Flat would be not a bad choice.

Old 10-13-2021, 04:19 PM   #6

I carry everything but the kitchen sink. I need to go through my stuff and shave some weight. I carry a full tool kit from Cycle Gear, front and rear tubes, 12volt pump, two tire irons, shifter lever and rear brake lever. I need to add bailing wire, electrical repair kit, tire patch kit and spare plug. I travel lonely roads sometimes and have to ready. At least that's the idea.

Old 10-13-2021, 04:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DualSportDude View Post
Not riding around close to the house, with 16hp every ounce of weight counts. I’m even trying to shed a few pounds off me… As you said, wife & truck close by.
If I’m going for an all day ride, especially off road, I definitely carry stuff. Everything required to repair or replace either tube, small but good bicycle pump, allen heads for panels that may come lose, a few zip ties, some tie wire, some bungee cord, a rag or two and a bottle of water.
edit:
Now you made me look in my bag… Philips & flat head, sm/md adjustable wrench, needle nose, broken but good enough clutch lever, spare plug, plug wrench, tire valve tool, chain tool, small piece of 400 grit sandpaper. 9.2 lbs.

What is the sandpaper for? Cleaning plug?

Old 10-13-2021, 04:42 PM   #8

A 2” gash in a tube is a pretty large hole to fix with a patch. However, and I haven’t tried this…I done heard tell of a fella who had a reel bad hole ta plug. Well, legend has it he cut the tube where the hole was, folded the ends over, and bound the ends with zip ties. (I’m dropping the hokey cowpoke routine.) Apparently he was able to inflate the tube, and ride out. If true, I imagine he stuck a rag or something in the gap where he folded the tube. Maybe some generous use of slime would help, too.

I think it would be difficult to get a good seal, but I’d try it in a pinch, if it was the difference between riding and pushing a bike out of the woods

Old 10-13-2021, 05:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essayons View Post
What is the sandpaper for? Cleaning plug?
That was the thought, or clean up contacts on anything electrical. now I'm gonna have to add electrical tape...

Old 10-13-2021, 05:39 PM   #10

For going to get milk and bread from the corner store I wouldn't worry...But if you are riding further than you 're will to push it or hide it and walk to find help, then a Flat kit. tire spoons, small pump, tools and a cable repair kit. Is probably best taken...anything long distance or remote might want to add a spare tube...

Old 10-13-2021, 05:59 PM   #11

I carry one 21" light duty tube (can be used in the 18" rear in a pinch). Irons, tools to remove both front and rear wheels. Patch kit, plug kit for the tubliss setup I run for more extreme dirt, 5 small CO/2 inflaters and one hand pump that can fill up the tubliss HP bladder.

That's just the tire repair stuff. When you're 100 miles from anywhere in the middle of the desert, it's very important to be prepared. I carry 2 satellite locator beacons (different sat networks) as well, I hope to never need to ask for help using those.

it all depends on how you use your bike, years ago when I was mostly riding street and not getting too far off the beaten path.. a can of fix-a-flat was my usual go to.

I once did 30 miles of dirt on a flat front, it was running tubeliss at the time and even though the HP bladder was flat.... the tire stayed on the bead all the way back to the truck. Much of the ride was sandy wash, 0PSI in the front is awesome for those conditions!

Old 10-15-2021, 12:35 PM   #12

When we drove Haul Road up to the Arctic Ocean we carried an extra spare up on the roof.

The OEM roof rack held our Toyo Open Country MT mounted on a simple steel rim, with the rest of our gear in a Garvin FJ Cruiser Adventure Rack.

Never needed it but felt a lot more confident knowing it was up there.

Still carry a second spare on long overland adventures.

But usually leave it at home for most 4x4 trails.

Our secrete is running strong off road tires with multiple ply sidewalls.

Even aired down to 8 psi we've never lost one on a trail...

knock wood.