Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2021, 04:12 PM   #1

Grin KPM200 Modification

Hey all, I wanted to share this with you. I wanted my KPM200 to look more cafe-like and had a free weekend. so I made a few modifications to the bike.

- I took out the airbox and swapped them for airpods
- made the world's most ghetto electronics tray and tucked the wires (and a new lithium battery) in it
- got rid of the rear fender and traded the tail lights for an LED strip
- swapped out the risers and handlebar for clip ons
- front blinkers were traded for smaller LED lights
- took off some of the fairings

I plan on doing a little bit more (I really hate the spring is red), but the spring semester started this week so I'm pretty happy with it for now. It wasn't the easiest thing to do, as there doesn't seem to be anything online as far as third-party parts for this guy. Oh well

Cheers

Old 08-21-2021, 07:45 AM   #2

Looks good! Now all you need is a nice exhaust system.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 08-21-2021, 10:29 AM   #3

Very easy on the eyes. It looks so light.
-How did it run after adding pod filters?
Did the EFI adjust to the new filters OK?

Old 08-21-2021, 02:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
Looks good! Now all you need is a nice exhaust system.

I think if it can be removed, I’m just going to replace or remove the muffler. It does kind of stick out, doesn’t it

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelbender6 View Post
-How did it run after adding pod filters?
Did the EFI adjust to the new filters OK?
I noticed the first time I started it, it was a bit rich at first. But I left the bike running for a little while at idle to see if it would fix itself. I didn’t notice a difference when I rode it either. There isn’t any rich-burning smell anymore, so it seemed to have adjusted decently.

Old 08-22-2021, 03:05 AM   #5

Very nice! Yeah, I've been looking for a spring. I just need to get the length, and I can find something decent. Didn't feel like pulling my bike apart to check the length.

Also, I really did the clip-ons. How do that like them? I wanted to do the same, but was looking for adapters instead of doing actual clip-ons. I don't like the foot placement , and felt the bars would be too low and too far forward in conjunction with where your feet are

Old 08-22-2021, 04:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falkon45 View Post
Very nice! Yeah, I've been looking for a spring. I just need to get the length, and I can find something decent. Didn't feel like pulling my bike apart to check the length.

Also, I really did the clip-ons. How do that like them? I wanted to do the same, but was looking for adapters instead of doing actual clip-ons. I don't like the foot placement , and felt the bars would be too low and too far forward in conjunction with where your feet are

If I get the chance to take it out and measure it, I'll throw the specs up here.

Personally, if you can find an adapter that fits, I would recommend trying that route first (especially if you're already used to the stock handlebars). The only way to put on the clip-ons is under the triple tree cause the frame restricts the option to move the triple tree down and put the clip-ons over. Plus, I had to take off the headlight to be able to reposition the clutch and front brake.

I actually feel like the foot placement saves it from being too aggressive. I'm also 5'5" with a 30" inseam, so it doesn't really bother me as much as it probably would a taller person. But let me tell you, the bike feels way more nimble and easier to corner. It actually feels more fun to ride than before!

If you do end up wanting to switch to clip-ons, 48mm clips with 7/8" bars are what fits. This is the one I bought: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08X1HPPCP...roduct_details

Old 08-23-2021, 07:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo102 View Post
If I get the chance to take it out and measure it, I'll throw the specs up here.

Personally, if you can find an adapter that fits, I would recommend trying that route first (especially if you're already used to the stock handlebars). The only way to put on the clip-ons is under the triple tree cause the frame restricts the option to move the triple tree down and put the clip-ons over. Plus, I had to take off the headlight to be able to reposition the clutch and front brake.

I actually feel like the foot placement saves it from being too aggressive. I'm also 5'5" with a 30" inseam, so it doesn't really bother me as much as it probably would a taller person. But let me tell you, the bike feels way more nimble and easier to corner. It actually feels more fun to ride than before!

If you do end up wanting to switch to clip-ons, 48mm clips with 7/8" bars are what fits. This is the one I bought: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08X1HPPCP...roduct_details
Thanks! Yeah, I've been trying to see if rearsets exist anywhere. I know lifan did actually race the KPR 200. Since all the KP bikes (except the mini) share the same rearset, I figured the racing ones could be somewhere. After about a week of looking for the race bike, and finally getting a decent picture of it, I found out it was a custom one-off set for that bike only.

For the Adapters, I've tried a set for the MT-07 and the Ninja 650. Both are close, but the bolt holes don't match up on the risers.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Honestly, I could modify the bases to they could fit, as they're 1" and 1.25" thick pieces of aluminum. Wouldn't harm them at all. But, I'd like to find a bolt on option for everyone.

So far, you've probably got the most custom KPM of everyone here! LOL. I dig it a lot! Can't wait to see what you do next!

Old 09-04-2021, 09:36 PM   #8

Love the look of what you did! I noticed you still have the evap canister and the air injection installed. I took mine off a few days ago and need to see how much it impacts things, but it may be a way to clean up the look of your bike even more. I realize some aren't a fan of removing those, so if it's not your cup of tea, no worries. Just thought I'd mention it.
Also, if you don't replace the exhaust you could take the heat shields off, grind off the mounts, and wrap the pipe with black fiberglass tape. That would certainly help it stick out less.
And, I'm offering suggestions because I sincerely LOVE what you've done and thought of a few things that might look nice. I think it looks great as it sits right now though!

Old 09-07-2021, 12:03 PM   #9

Love it. I told myself my kpm was for riding while I fix my Honda and NOT for modding, but that may change. I hate all that plastic housing on the sides. Do you have any pics of the battery tray? Have you seen any issues with the lithium battery? Specs on that battery?

Old 09-09-2021, 01:27 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradogoose View Post
Love the look of what you did! I noticed you still have the evap canister and the air injection installed. I took mine off a few days ago and need to see how much it impacts things, but it may be a way to clean up the look of your bike even more. I realize some aren't a fan of removing those, so if it's not your cup of tea, no worries. Just thought I'd mention it.
Also, if you don't replace the exhaust you could take the heat shields off, grind off the mounts, and wrap the pipe with black fiberglass tape. That would certainly help it stick out less.
And, I'm offering suggestions because I sincerely LOVE what you've done and thought of a few things that might look nice. I think it looks great as it sits right now though!
I wanted to get rid of the rest of the plastic fairings, but I noticed the foot pegs and the exhaust is being held by the thing

Old 09-10-2021, 09:26 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo102 View Post
I wanted to get rid of the rest of the plastic fairings, but I noticed the foot pegs and the exhaust is being held by the thing
Keep your front sprocket guard on. You can remove it if you take off the rearset to get to it, but trust me, a loose shoe string taking off your foot, is far worse than a piece of plastic messing up your aesthetics.

Old 09-10-2021, 09:27 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari View Post
Love it. I told myself my kpm was for riding while I fix my Honda and NOT for modding, but that may change. I hate all that plastic housing on the sides. Do you have any pics of the battery tray? Have you seen any issues with the lithium battery? Specs on that battery?
I originally had no intention on doing anything to it either, but then I saw the mudguard flap in the rear and saw that the tire wore out most of it out. Wanting to take out what was left pretty much led to what is it now. Haha

As for the battery tray, it’s cut in pieces. I can show a picture, but you can just imagine a small pile of plastic. I had to saw it off. The battery tray and the airbox is one giant piece of plastic. In order to take it out, you either have to remove the back tire and the spring, or just hack away piece by piece till you can wiggle it out.

And I haven’t seen any problems with the battery itself. I bought an Antigravity AG-801. Of all the stock replacements, the biggest consistency I saw was it required a 12V, 9Ah battery that needed around a 750 CCA. The AG-801 was perfect

Old 09-10-2021, 09:37 AM   #13

Also, do you have a picture of you sitting on the bike. I need to see what your body position looks like. I might give it a shot with the clip-ons. lol.

Old 09-15-2021, 08:15 PM   #14

Update

UPDATE:

Well, a rat or something got into my harness, ripped and exposed wires. that directly connected to the ECU. So, I figured I would actually take this as an opportunity and rewire the entire bike (cause why not). I read a lot of good things about using a Motogadget m-unit, so I purchased the m-unit Blue with an m-button and figured I'd give it a try*.

*I know a decent amount when it comes to electrical and automotive components, so the rewiring isn't an issue to me, that's actually the fun part for me.. Utilizing an electrical component that I never heard about until 2 days ago is what could get me to grow anxious. haha

Wish me luck and I will update throughout
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_2243_3_15.jpeg (133.5 KB, 1060 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_2251_15.jpeg (106.1 KB, 1022 views)

Old 09-15-2021, 08:17 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falkon45 View Post
Also, do you have a picture of you sitting on the bike. I need to see what your body position looks like. I might give it a shot with the clip-ons. lol.
I don't have a picture yet. Im sorry. I will put one up as soon as I can. But I am 5'5"/6" with a 30" inseam and it feels pretty comfortable to me. the foot placement was a bit unusual at first because I felt it needed to be back more, but I got used to it in no time behind directly under me instead of behind me. hope that helps a bit