Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2021, 09:28 AM   #1

Vader BD125-10 Gearshift Linkage?

I've got a Vader that literally has 5 miles on it and it's having shifting problems. Doesn't seem to get into neutral and doesn't shift gears right. Sounds and feels "crunchy" too. So I put it up on the stand and am asking for advice on where to start. I believe it to be gearshift linkage and wondering if anybody has a link to possible parts if I crack it open and need to fix. Are CRF50 parts compatbile also?

Thanks!
2019 Kawasaki Z-400

Old 08-18-2021, 08:39 PM   #2

They have strait cut gears so they need to be broken in before the shifting smooths out. They also have a very long range of clutch adjustment so the typical freeplay at the perch setting doesn't really work on these cause the cable has tension well before it starts to release the clutch. You have to adjust the freeplay based on the actual clutch spring tension and not the clutch arm spring tension. A good way to check is if it bucks hard when dropped into 1st gear its probably not disengaging the clutch enough when you pull the lever. And it will also want to move forward with the clutch pulled. And finally the oil, I had to repetitively change the oil which normally would be considered excessively during the first few hundred miles. And each time the shifting was better till the oil deteriorated at longer intervals until about 500 miles when the shifting finally became consistent and way better than when new. Although it will never be as good as the CG engines.

Old 06-22-2023, 11:25 PM   #3

I have a boom vader xpro 125cc and it will not shift from 1st to 2nd. It only has about 325 miles on it and it’s done that occasionally since new, but it has gotten worse. I was riding it today and never left the block because I could not shift it into 2nd. almost broke my toe trying!

what is causing that?

Old 06-23-2023, 12:12 PM   #4

Put a regular shift lever on it and bypass the whole linkage contraption.

It'll be more positive feeling and work better. It still needs to be broken in and will get better over time, assuming you adjust clutch disengagement enough as well.

Old 06-25-2023, 04:13 PM   #5

The stock shifter is pretty rough, with the weird linkages it can feel like your foot and the actual gears are very 'disconnected'. I've been running two years so far with the stock and can say it gets better( https://mymotorcycleblog.com/boom-va...shifter-stock/ ).

However, I might upgrade to single arm shifter in the future.

Just give it time and baby the shifting till it breaks in.

Testing a YouTube Channel

Old 07-19-2023, 11:52 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caenus View Post
I have a boom vader xpro 125cc and it will not shift from 1st to 2nd. It only has about 325 miles on it and it’s done that occasionally since new, but it has gotten worse. I was riding it today and never left the block because I could not shift it into 2nd. almost broke my toe trying!

what is causing that?
All of the easy solutions posted here evade the real problem. Remove the clutch side engine cover (drain oil first!) follow YouTube videos for parts removal. Includes clutch assembly, tabbed washer and notched nut (impact wrench and special clutch tool needed for removal) to access shift mechanism. The mechanism has four notches and a neutral position. This is part of the shift drum actuator inside the engine housing that exits the left side where foot shift lever is attached.
The shift mechanism (four notches and neutral) is engaged by a spring loaded arm and another spring loaded arm with a rotating circular follower. Both of these parts can either slide off the mechanism leaving you with no shifting, to the common difficulty finding neutral. If either of these arms are not aligned they won’t properly engage.
Whew! If I could find the magic url needed to post photos or vids, you’d see the problem in 15 seconds! Again, search out YouTube for disassembly/fix/assembly procedure.
As previously mentioned, the clutch adjustment to eliminate drag and lurching when engaging first gear should precede any disassembly.