Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2021, 07:54 PM   #1

HAWK Backroad Development

As dual sport riders, I think we all share the passion for riding to remote areas seeking the experiences of the nature. So it is I am opening up this thread to document my efforts and those of anyone who desires to contribute to the development of all things, be it modifications, tools, equipment, training or techniques, which furthers getting to the back road, outback, backcountry experiences, thriving while there, and returning successfully.

I have been working on a new air intake system for the HAWK which keeps the stock airbox and allows a POD filter to be mounted inside the airbox. The first reason for this project is of course because the HAWK stock airbox is not air tight and leaks fine dust which makes sealing the box or adding another filtration system a requirement for engine protection. Why not just add a POD to the carburetor like most do?

Putting the POD inside the airbox provides more protection from water in a spill, rain, mud spray and shields it from other damage. The airbox is the natural place for the POD in my view.

I came up with a drain tube solution which works but hits on the side panel plastics just slightly and therefore I fear would be a rattling nightmare. I spent several weeks trying to find a tube or a hose that would fit in an air tight manner to no avail. Then one day as I exhausted my latest attempt, I eyed my Shop vac hose, hmm. Sure enough, it was perfect at around 1.5 inchs and just like that my Shop vac hose was 8 inches shorter. It fit in a 38mm silicone and 42mm silicone hose with some silicone for seal. I also drilled the airbox out to connect the crankcase air breather hose up inside too. If a guy was of the mind he could now reseal the airbox with expanding foam or maybe silicone.

Last edited by China Rider 27; 04-25-2021 at 08:46 PM.

Old 04-25-2021, 06:49 AM   #2

I’ve been thinking of how to manage a pod installed in the air box, well done

Old 04-25-2021, 10:26 AM   #3

Back Road Throttle repair

Last week I was out riding in the state forest about two miles from the truck when I felt no throttle and I saw through the clear housing of my throttle the cable end rattle off and away. Idles well but you cannot move. Could be too much “punching” of that PZ30B? What to do. Outa the blue it came me to loosen my front brake mounting bracket and squeeze the end of the cable with it like a vise. I grabbed the cable sheath and pulled it up and away from the grip, lo and behold it raises the carburetor slide, one end is solid, one end is tensioned by the slide spring, with lift something has to give. With my left-hand driving and my right hand operating the throttle cable I drove to the truck, when I hit pavement, shifting 5 gears, and the pumper works!!!

Backroad development thoughts. Too bad it doesn’t work on the clutch cable. Recently I had been thinking about this and adding a 4-inch needle nose Vise Grip plier to my kit to grab the cable end. Might work for the clutch. I need to get some emergency cables and cable ends and also carry a spare clutch cable.

Last edited by China Rider 27; 04-25-2021 at 08:44 PM. Reason: update

Old 04-25-2021, 07:55 PM   #4

Shout Out!

Well I want to give a big shout out to Idle Purr for straightening me out on this uploading of pictures directly to the post versus links. Image hosting sites not my strong suit. Makes the whole story flow much smoother. Thanks! And since I can see the beautiful colors in my posts now I'm gonna give you guys some more eye candi.

The moral of this story is - chinese parts aren't necessarily the best QC and maybe prone to fail. Building reliability into your parts and your build is an important Back Road value applies to that part about returning successfully! Somehow I do not like clamping a piece on my throttle cable so I watched a u tube video and built a system to re-lead my broken throttle cable. I think it is stronger, we'll see.

upload image

image upload

Old 04-25-2021, 10:17 PM   #5

Possibly consider something like this before going back roading.

https://www.amazon.com/KiWAV-Univers.../dp/B08CR1GB87

That being said always respect to see a bit of DIY MacGyvering.

Old 04-26-2021, 09:55 AM   #6

Interestingly I'm trying to shorten my throttle cable and I broke 4 drill bits trying to drill a new hole in the end of the cable barrel. That's some HARD Chinesium. Your idea looks promising as well though and I might just "mold" my own like you did. I'm half way through with the drill, I think I just need a harder bit.

"Do Wheelies and Forget your Feelies"

"If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?" -unknown

Old 04-26-2021, 10:17 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLsior View Post
Possibly consider something like this before going back roading.

https://www.amazon.com/KiWAV-Univers.../dp/B08CR1GB87

That being said always respect to see a bit of DIY MacGyvering.
I been eying that kit and one day it is necessity. That is a good word "MacGyvering" captures the spirit of the mentality that is required on the backroad, you are going to have to "get it done" however you can that's how you survive and thrive in the tough places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyd View Post
Interestingly I'm trying to shorten my throttle cable and I broke 4 drill bits trying to drill a new hole in the end of the cable barrel. That's some HARD Chinesium. Your idea looks promising as well though and I might just "mold" my own like you did. I'm half way through with the drill, I think I just need a harder bit.
When you do a lot of carburetor swapping you find out in a hurry that many require a different length cable and then its hard to find one that's the right length, hence, we all end up with cables. I have been on the verge of shortening one but somehow found a solution. But one day I will be trying it. Venhill makes a generic cable you can cut down, I have been tempted few times but the solder thing stopped me but now I know that is not as big a deal as I thought. I splayed the ends on the one I just did and I have to think it is a helluva lot stronger. Hopefully I got the increase in reliability I am seeking.

Last edited by China Rider 27; 04-26-2021 at 12:59 PM.

Old 04-26-2021, 11:03 AM   #8

Ya, I've got the pumper carb in and need the split cable....I wasn't able to find a shorter one and after some research decided that cutting this one wasn't that big of a deal. drilling the hole to reattach the cable is my only hang up. I'll countersink and then splay the end before I solder it....I think it'll be strong enough.

"Do Wheelies and Forget your Feelies"

"If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?" -unknown

Old 04-26-2021, 10:04 PM   #9

USB charging up on the handlebars is a requirement for phone charging and maybe other devices used for navigation. I like the concept of a built-in voltmeter readily visible. A good thing to monitor the electrical system. If something gets out a whack you can scoot for home and/or it can also be used to troubleshoot. Got this one the other day and it has an on off switch. I checked it against my voltmeter and it reads within a tenth or two.

geojson example

Old 04-27-2021, 04:28 AM   #10

Yeah, the throttle cables are really hit or miss. I had one cable break the cable right at the barrel in one day of riding. I had to ride 8 miles back home with the throttle cable basically wound through a key ring, the key ring on my thumb operating the throttle lol. The current cable I have is still holding up, and I just inspected it while installing it with the PZ30B and again recently while lubing the cable, and it shows no signs of breaking so far. I also have 2 extra cables... just in case lol.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 04-27-2021, 10:10 AM   #11

A key ring a good idea. Everyone most has it. Makes me think of taking a piece of cable and a large key ring and attaching one of those larger cable fix it ends with a screw to slide on the end of the cable for a pull. Might work for clutch and throttle. Light piece of kit you could throw in your tools. In the field, if I can get away with not taking off a cable might prefer it. I too, lubed my cable before reinstalling yesterday and better than new.

Old 05-01-2021, 11:30 AM   #12

Tow strap

If the worst of luck finds you and the bike can no longer go it will need to be recovered. Miles out on a remote backroad or down a narrow trail that is a challenging task. The best way appears to be with another motorcycle and a tow strap or well tied rope. I have to think the HAWK and like with low gearing and that CG 250 torque would make excellent tow bikes. I found this tow strap, takes up no space and weight and comes with instructions.

WARNING: If you try to tow, get some instructions on how to do it safely, u tube has video. Never, ever, tie to the towed bike, leave the tow strap loose and held by the hand so the towed bike can be let go in an emergency.

Old 05-02-2021, 08:56 PM   #13

While out riding the backroad a few weeks ago a friend I was riding with ran into the back of my HAWK hitting the rear tire and the fender. I didn’t know immediately the fender had been hit as it was not obvious. The moral of this story. Pay attention when riding with others, it’s easier than you think to hit a fellow rider which may put their bike or your bike out of working order.

The plastic tail light housing had one side with a piece chipped out and the other cracked good. I looked online at TXPOWERSPORTS they wanted $40 for just the tail light assembly and said call about the housing and that can’t be good. TAO TAO Parts wanted $107.00 for the housing with a taillight. That rear fender is out there where it can be whacked so I thought I would post this up for others.

I used superglue to glue the piece in and seal the cracked plastic and some aluminum angle to reinforce it all and because there is no good place to rivet, JB Weld to attach it together.

The rear end of the HAWK appears very friendly to a custom tail light installation and next time that may be the best option.

online dice roll generator

Old 05-09-2021, 12:21 AM   #14

MRS Motorcycle Recovery System

If you ride by yourself or in areas where help is a long way off, it might be worth considering a recovery pulley system. They can be bought but are expensive and not much cheaper if you make them yourself using top grade pulleys as parts. It takes some learning to understand how to rig them and make them work but they offer tremendous recovery power and could be the difference between a long walk and a ride. The one below is rigged as a 4 to 1 and is shown with 30 ft of 1 inch webbing. The ratio say 4 to 1 means that for every 100 lbs of force applied it can potentially lift or move 400 lbs. They can be rigged in a 5 to 1 too. The video shows a less expensive and lightweight version using carabiners instead of pulleys.

Old 05-25-2021, 09:40 PM   #15

Pre filter dirt

Don't know about you but the backroad I ride is a dust storm. Good filtration important. I took apart my filter and intake system and it was spotless, confirming all the work was worth it. I decided to add something to it just to provide another barrier to the dust. IT also may help with keeping water out, not so much a concern for this POD as it is protected by the airbox. You guys running the PODS without an airbox might be worth a consider. The one I had extra was too big so I zip tied it.