Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Registration Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2021, 05:39 PM   #1

Purchase Monkey or CT70 in Canada

Has anyone imported a 125cc monkey or ct70 ( gorilla or dax) clone to Canada? Or is there any sellers in Canada?

Edit: Only for offroad or on personal property use. Can i just order and pay my tax when it comes? RIV doesnt apply.

Last edited by zector555; 02-16-2021 at 08:03 PM.

Old 02-16-2021, 07:25 PM   #2

Very few Chinese motorcycles go through the hassle of becoming street legal in Canada. The process is very similar to what it takes to get a motorcycle legal for California only with less restrictive emissions. Apparently it even involves giving the government a motorcycle to disassemble and inspect. CSC went through the headache and honestly it probably wasn't profitable or worthwhile for them. I'm not even sure if they bothered getting the San Gabriel or RX4 legal in Canada. As far as I know the only street legal Chinese motorcycles are the RX3 and the TT250. All the Grom, Monkey and other mini bike clones cannot be plated up here. Venom Motorsports, a Chinese importer located in Canada was trying to get some models legal but they obviously gave up because that was many years ago and they have nothing legal in Canada but some models are now street legal in the USA.

2014 Honda CB500XA
2016 CSC TT250
1976 Honda CJ360T
2022 Honda Navi

Old 02-16-2021, 08:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker_Andy View Post
Very few Chinese motorcycles go through the hassle of becoming street legal in Canada. The process is very similar to what it takes to get a motorcycle legal for California only with less restrictive emissions. Apparently it even involves giving the government a motorcycle to disassemble and inspect. CSC went through the headache and honestly it probably wasn't profitable or worthwhile for them. I'm not even sure if they bothered getting the San Gabriel or RX4 legal in Canada. As far as I know the only street legal Chinese motorcycles are the RX3 and the TT250. All the Grom, Monkey and other mini bike clones cannot be plated up here. Venom Motorsports, a Chinese importer located in Canada was trying to get some models legal but they obviously gave up because that was many years ago and they have nothing legal in Canada but some models are now street legal in the USA.
I just want a couple monkeys or ct70's for the yard or offroad. Can i just order, and pay customs on it?

I made some inquiries, and this was the best answer i got, from TC

All types of regulated vehicles that Canadians import which are designed to be driven or drawn on public roads and those designed for off-road use such as off-road motorcycles, all-terrain vehicles (ATV) and snowmobiles must comply with the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (MVSA).

Old 02-16-2021, 10:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by zector555 View Post
I just want a couple monkeys or ct70's for the yard or offroad. Can i just order, and pay customs on it?

I made some inquiries, and this was the best answer i got, from TC

All types of regulated vehicles that Canadians import which are designed to be driven or drawn on public roads and those designed for off-road use such as off-road motorcycles, all-terrain vehicles (ATV) and snowmobiles must comply with the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (MVSA).
I love the CT70/DAX/Monkey style of bike, but why not just get a Canadian-legal pitbike if you are keeping it strictly offroad. Member FLASHLIGHTBOY is a Canadian dealer of Taotao, among others, so he could sell you a pitbike. I am guessing as the California comparison was made, even offroad bikes have to pass certain testing parameters to be deemed legal to import. I believe Canada is homogenous as far as bikes go, so it's not like one province or territory has approved bikes that others have not, correct?

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 02-17-2021, 08:22 AM   #5

'Off-road only' listed vehicles are much easier to import into Canada. These tend to be pit bikes or dirt bikes up to 250cc. Venom Motorsports has a few other options but nobody from USA ships into Canada other than CSC. Venom has other bikes they sell in the USA and not Canada so you might be able to convince them to sell you something for off-road only use but I'm not sure.

2014 Honda CB500XA
2016 CSC TT250
1976 Honda CJ360T
2022 Honda Navi

Old 02-17-2021, 10:37 PM   #6

If Venom will sell it to Canadians for off-road purposes, they do carry the Ice Bear Champion CT70 replica. https://www.venommotorsportsusa.com/...onkey-pbz125-2

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 02-18-2021, 07:26 PM   #7

Yes venom lists many models on their USA website that are absent from the Canadian version. They are only visible if I use a non Canadian IP address.

2014 Honda CB500XA
2016 CSC TT250
1976 Honda CJ360T
2022 Honda Navi

Old 02-18-2021, 09:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker_Andy View Post
Yes venom lists many models on their USA website that are absent from the Canadian version. They are only visible if I use a non Canadian IP address.
It makes sense they would do that. Don't let you lust after something they cannot sell to you. Are there non-US bikes on the Canadian site?

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Tags
canada, ct70, dax, gorilla, monkey