Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2020, 06:10 PM   #1

Oops lowering my Hawk

Hey guys! Ive kinda bitten off more than I can chew... Im about 5ft and when on my hawk with the kickstand I can touch the ground, but without the stand I cant and it leans a bit too much :( Im ok with doing as much work on it as needed to make it short enough please help... I know Ill have to change the suspension, but Im not sure which to get. Any help is extremely appreciated! <3

Old 10-09-2020, 01:25 AM   #2

Get a smaller rear shock. The stock is like a 320 or 325 mm depending who you ask. I've read someone installed a 280mm and it doesn't bottom out meaning no tire rub..

Old 11-10-2020, 11:20 AM   #3

I installed a 290mm shock with zero issues. It is good for a person 5'6"

I would assume the 280mm would fit just fine. Maybe a touch lower for a person that is 5' would be better. Each 10mm is about .4 inches at an angle. I would guess a 270mm or even a 260mm would likely get you to a comfortable spot. Let us know how they work out and post on the forum for the benefit of future short people like us! :-)

You will need to buy a whole bunch of 10mm washers to shim up the sides for the width differences between the wide factory and slimmer aftermarket shocks typically. Easy enough to do. Scotch tape worked for me to hold in place while I slid the bolts through. Just jack it up, unbolt the old, put in the new. Get a good quality high load 1200lb shock that will last you. Usually around $70 for a quality one.

Also, lower the front forks by the handle bars about 1.5".

And you will lastly need a reciprocating saw to take off a bit of length on the kick stand as it will sit much lower.

I installed this 290mm one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Or this 270mm may work:

https://www.amazon.com/HIGFEVEOER-Mo...e&sr=1-20&th=1

Or a 280mm one may also work:
https://www.amazon.com/TDPRO-Absorbe...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Old 11-11-2020, 12:45 PM   #4

You can lower the front fork tubes just a little without impacting rake and trail ( I did so on my TBR7 ( which has an adjustable rear shock as well so of course I lowered that ).

Also got a decent riding boot that has a thick sole.

All in all a few inches here and there and I got to where I was comfortable.

Old 11-11-2020, 01:31 PM   #5

I also lowered the rear shock in my first attempt at lowering it.

The end result for me was the bike bottomed out, especially with a passenger, too much.

The new quality shorter shock was the proper remedy for me. Now its great, better than factory, and lower.