Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2020, 12:01 AM   #1

Thumbs Up Nibbi ignition cap replacement

I replaced my old worn out cap with a nibbi cap. It seems to of woke the bike up significantly. I can pull hard through the gears now. It feels so snappy and shifts so much smoother with the nice power transfer. I bought a better ignition coil I just need the proper electrical connectors. I'm curious to see if that makes a big difference as well. I definitely recommend doing this right off the bat with the Brozz!

Old 08-26-2020, 09:12 AM   #2

Could you post a link to the Nibbi part you used please?
2020 Orion RXB250L

Old 08-26-2020, 10:05 AM   #3

The performance gain is probably because it's a non-resister cap.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 08-26-2020, 05:59 PM   #4

Ah, is he talking about a spark plug cap / wire ? Lol
2020 Orion RXB250L

Old 08-26-2020, 06:07 PM   #5

Yes, link, please!

Old 08-28-2020, 10:08 PM   #6

So I have a few questions relating to all of this. I just purchased this ignition coil:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07ZC...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I haven't sourced a spark plug cap yet. Is it a big deal to use a resistor cap vs. a cap with no resistor? Any harm come from either option?

Also, I was planning on just going down to the auto parts store to find a cap and connector.. does anyone have a link to one that will fit this part and the plug?

Old 08-30-2020, 11:17 PM   #7

So just bumping this up hoping for some input... I think that ignition coil I linked is ok, please advise if not.
I did find an old thread by Megadan where he used a spark boot from a Goldwing and replaced the resistor with some twisted up wire...
I guess the main question I have is if there is any harm in removing a resistor from the cap, and what exactly does the resistor perform?
As cheap as these bikes are, I don't understand why they would install an extra part like a resistor if they didn't have to pay for it. So it must serve some purpose.
I assume it is because these have CDI ignition and they are trying to even out the capacitor discharges for a consistent spark fire.

Old 08-31-2020, 10:44 AM   #8

https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-P...ibi+ign&sr=8-5 this is the coil I bought. I just used the cap. I just received the electrical stuff to swap it out. Curious if it will continue to gain more power. As for the non resistor cap I'm not sure of the difference myself. I feel like my bike pulls like an old dirt bike now with how snappy it is. Once I swap out the ignition coil I'll update of it works and if it's better. The NGK spark plug cap I bought would only receive the big part of the spark plug not the screw part on top. The nibbi was a screw top receiver. So does this make it any different per say of the non resistor or resistor cap. How do you know the difference?

Old 08-31-2020, 05:43 PM   #9

Found it

http://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=20998

Old 09-01-2020, 08:55 PM   #10

Got it so from what I'm gaining so far is running a resistor plug with a non resistor plug cap should be fine. As long as there is some type of resistance. I'll keep reading but I'm sure it will be fine. I threw an NGK spark plug cap I bought as well a resistor cap. With the resistor plug. It didn't seem to run as good as it did with the nibbi spark plug cap. I'm guessing the Nibbi one is non resistor.

Last edited by Thebrozzanator; 09-01-2020 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Mispelling

Old 09-01-2020, 11:28 PM   #11

It is a capacitor discharge ignition so resistance is needed to "smooth" the flow of electrons to the spark source. I understand that part.
As Megadan explained, one or the other, but not both, either way. Clear as mud, right? Lol.
A resistor is needed in the circuit, either on the plug cap or built into the plug itself.
I installed an iridium plug with a resistor going off the part number.. So good to go with a non resistor cap. Or I could switch it around and run a non resistor plug and install a resistor cap.
Either way, from what I am gaining, the worst you can do is run non resistor plug and a non resistor cap, possibly gaining a hotter spark, but, putting the CDI module at risk of a premature failure.

Old 09-01-2020, 11:30 PM   #12

Does anyone know if the stock Brozz 2020 cap is a resistor included module? If that is the case, maybe I'm doubled up on the resistors.

Old 09-02-2020, 01:54 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwowzer View Post
Does anyone know if the stock Brozz 2020 cap is a resistor included module? If that is the case, maybe I'm doubled up on the resistors.
You can find out with an ohm meter. Measure resistance through the cap. If you have high resistance, there's your answer. If it is zero, or near zero, there is also your answer.

Old 09-02-2020, 04:25 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwowzer View Post
It is a capacitor discharge ignition so resistance is needed to "smooth" the flow of electrons to the spark source.
Nope, it's to cut down on RF interference, similar in function to a choke in an electrical circuit.

Old 09-02-2020, 11:24 AM   #15

Very good info and yes as clear as mud! Lol I do believe the stock Brozz has a resistor type cap. Only reason I'm saying is because the stock plug that came in it was not an R type plug. So if you are running the NGK R plug like I was then you are most likely running double resistor. That's why I felt a slight improvement plus my old cap was a little weather worn. On Megadans post it did say there would be no performance enhancement. So I'm guessing it's just a better spark with a new cap and not being double resistor. Never studied any of this stuff all learning for me guys!