Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2020, 12:13 AM   #1

Street legal

How can one turn an Apollo DB-36 in a street legal bike or is it impossible?

Old 08-22-2020, 06:00 AM   #2

It depends on what state you're in, and their requirements to be street legal.

Old 08-22-2020, 11:28 AM   #3

In South Carolina. How to get a title & lights put on. I already have the tires.

Old 08-22-2020, 05:40 PM   #4

Just check your DMV/BMV requirements. You might have to add circuits/switches for any electrical equipment they might require, depending on how the harness is configured.

Old 08-23-2020, 08:45 AM   #5

The street legal apollo 250cc is the exact same bike. I wonder do they just sell the lights & harness.

Old 08-23-2020, 09:55 AM   #6

You might want to make sure it is titled correctly or that you can change the title from off road to on road ,I know I couldn’t do that here anymore but you might be able to .Also ,I guess you have the Vermont route if need be to help with that

Old 09-11-2020, 08:48 PM   #7

where can I get the headlight, taillight & speedometer assembly like the one on the db-36 deluxe or xtreme? I see the speedometer but not the taillights & headlight assembly.

Old 09-14-2020, 12:10 PM   #8

You will probably want to do a search here on Chinariders. There was (maybe still around) a guy who converted his DB-36 to street legal and that was before they came out with the Deluxe street-legal model in the US. He used a generic lighting kit. I do not believe that Apollo has a website, BUT I would suggest to contact Orion Powersports who might have kits or can point you in the right direction.

https://www.orionpowersports.com/

From what I understand, the Deluxe street-legal bike is NOT exactly the same as the off-road bike (suspension mainly), but if someone sold the lighting kit from the Deluxe, that should be the same thing for an off-road version.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 09-22-2020, 05:13 PM   #9

I am in Tennessee and installed headlights, tail light wit blinkers and horn and mirrors and brake light and got it tagged no problem

Picture at link

https://www.chinariders.net/album.ph...pictureid=1679

Old 09-22-2020, 08:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by normragan View Post
I am in Tennessee and installed headlights, tail light wit blinkers and horn and mirrors and brake light and got it tagged no problem

Picture at link

https://www.chinariders.net/album.ph...pictureid=1679
Is all that custom or did you get it from the deluxe or xtreme version? Where did you get the parts from?

Old 09-22-2020, 09:15 PM   #11

There is a member with the screen name Irishjew. He had a dirt-only '36' and converted his to street-legal in Nevada. He owns a RX3 adv adventure bike and posts in the adv bike section, but PM him, and see what parts he used.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 09-23-2020, 01:18 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
There is a member with the screen name Irishjew. He had a dirt-only '36' and converted his to street-legal in Nevada. He owns a RX3 adv adventure bike and posts in the adv bike section, but PM him, and see what parts he used.
Just pmed

Old 09-23-2020, 07:29 AM   #13

As others have said, the process varies by state.

In some states, you can simply pay a fee to have a new title issued with “on road” status, and sign something that says you affirm that it has lights, horn, signals, etc.

In states with inspections, they’re going to require an inspection before issuing an on road title. I’m in Ohio, and we don’t have an inspection. The advantage is i can convert the title any time, and then take as long as i want to add lights, etc. or risk not having a horn, since I’m unlikely to be pulled over for missing that.

Some states will not allow off road vehicle titles to be modified ...i think. At least they don’t make it easy. In fact, up until 1990(?), Ohio didn’t even issue titles with off road vehicles. So
For older bikes, you have to apply for a title, then pay to have it re-issues as on road. Thanks government!

Adding lights, etc can be easy, but not simple. I talked about making my old XR100 street legal. Bought a Vader instead...

Old 09-23-2020, 08:36 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RK97 View Post
As others have said, the process varies by state.

In some states, you can simply pay a fee to have a new title issued with “on road” status, and sign something that says you affirm that it has lights, horn, signals, etc.

In states with inspections, they’re going to require an inspection before issuing an on road title. I’m in Ohio, and we don’t have an inspection. The advantage is i can convert the title any time, and then take as long as i want to add lights, etc. or risk not having a horn, since I’m unlikely to be pulled over for missing that.

Some states will not allow off road vehicle titles to be modified ...i think. At least they don’t make it easy. In fact, up until 1990(?), Ohio didn’t even issue titles with off road vehicles. So
For older bikes, you have to apply for a title, then pay to have it re-issues as on road. Thanks government!

Adding lights, etc can be easy, but not simple. I talked about making my old XR100 street legal. Bought a Vader instead...
I understand I just wanted to add the lights & blinkers for safety reasons when I ride at night but kinda also wanted to get it plated.