Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2020, 01:42 AM   #1

Electrical gremlins - headlight

Hey guys,

Headlight burned out after just a few weeks of riding. Right about this time, the speedometer went from reading all wonky, to reading accurately, which I think is a coincidence. (The speedo is fully mechanical right?) Anyway, I ordered a new LED headlight from ebay and installed it. Looked great tonight! Well, I started to ride it to test it out fully tonight, and it burned out before I left my street. I took a multimeter to the headlight plug and its reading over 15v (when I rev it). Do I have a bad rectifier/regulator? Bike is a 2020 X-Pro Hawk 250.

Old 07-25-2020, 07:20 AM   #2

Use the multimeter and test it at the battery to see what volts you are getting. If you are getting over 15v there then I would say it is the rectifier/regulator. Check to see if all the connectors are all connected.

Old 07-25-2020, 02:07 PM   #3

Did a loop around town just now with a new halogen bulb from Walmart. So far so good. Maybe the LED was defective or there's too much voltage fluctuation. I hooked a voltmeter to battery terminals and it's was getting about 14.5 or 15 while running. Didn't fluctuate while revving. I cleaned and tightened the negative battery connection and tightened the ground where it goes to the starter/engine and that seemed to do the trick.

Old 07-25-2020, 06:12 PM   #4

That's good to hear, keep us informed if the trouble comes back.
Ride safe have fun